So I am making a video game.....

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Word of warning from my own experience. Don't overthink the animation this early in development. I have a tendency to zero-in on one issue on my projects and obsess and tweak and obsess and tweak that one aspect until I end up losing interest in the project. Don't want you falling into the same trap I keep falling into.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
In fact, you probably should barely be thinking about asset development at all, this early on. Unless it's your main area of expertise and you can just crank them out as quickly as any placeholder assets anyway, it's more important to get a working prototype together as quickly and simply as you can, so that you can give it a spin and figure out what needs work.

When I was in the Team Fortress 2 mapping community, it was a near-universal standard to block everything out using plain development textures (that looked like a cross between graph paper and Tyvek sheeting) and iterate on the layout many, many times before even starting work on turning it into something that actually looks like something. And that's just environment design for a game whose mechanics had been locked in years ago. It certainly pays to have a vision and draw up some concept art, but you never know when that vision won't hold up to real-world testing, and it's a lot easier to make sweeping changes to what you've built when it's all just a bunch of nondescript flat surfaces than after you've gotten used to it looking like a haunted house or a pie factory or whatever.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Word of warning from my own experience. Don't overthink the animation this early in development. I have a tendency to zero-in on one issue on my projects and obsess and tweak and obsess and tweak that one aspect until I end up losing interest in the project. Don't want you falling into the same trap I keep falling into.

Good advice! I am just working on this for this character, so I can make the main character a bit more fun to play with. If this ten frame animation doesn't fix it, I will just move on to the next part of the level.

To show you what I am talking about for the walking animation, previously I was using this for my guide:

1720186845343.png

If you notice there seems to be a few frames that should be in there. Like between frames 3 and 4, I added another frame, and I might add another before frame 8 to keep the pattern.

Top Bottom