Sonic The Hedgehog

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Yeah, someone should set up some kind of wiki for what shows and movies are on what services. It's just a matter of making sure it stays up to date.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen

Still somewhat weirded out that I'm so hyped for this game despite usually being somewhat meh about Shadow himself.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We all love Shadow and his terrible game. Some of us have just been kidding ourselves.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I never actually hated his game. But then again, I never actually finished it due to my younger self being overwhelmed by all the branching pathways and multiple endings. 😅

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I finished it. I remember not liking the controls in the final boss, which was surprising because up to that point the controls were the highlight. The engine was solid. The homing attack worked. Switching between rails worked. Then I got to the final boss and something wasn't right, though I don't remember why.

Shadewing

Citizen
The major flaw of the game, imo, is the branching paths. They're a good idea, but there are too damn many of them and its gets tedious getting all 10. Also the a few of the stanges, such as the Ark stage are too damn big and just easy to get lost in, running out the timer.

But at its core, I largely find it a fun game, as long as you dont take it too seriously. It kinda feels like a pisstake on all the dark and edgy games of the era.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If it was a pisstake, it was a little too convincing. It's hilarious but I didn't think it was trying to be.

I thought the level design was a bigger problem than the branching paths. I fully agree that they went too far with the branching paths. It's more than they had any ability to write for. Fewer paths (five at most, maybe three) with some actual connective tissue between levels would have been more impressive than going for sheer quantity. But I consider it a secondary problem made worse by the main problem. I wouldn't mind replaying levels so many times if they were more fun. It's not just that one Ark level. There's a few that took me ages because I couldn't find that one last whatever. SA2's emerald hunts were more fun (though I never hated those anyway).

Shadewing

Citizen
I never said it was just that level, only singling it out as its kinda the worst/most imfamous of how bad the levels can be.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That Ark level is the only one I ever hear about, so it's good to know I'm not the only one who had other issues.

It's like they had different teams working on different levels, because some of them were fun but others were agony.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I found it a mix of fun to play, but maybe not so much to go through, if that makes any sense.

I never really finished it. Of course, part of that was me getting it on PS2, which hasn't gotten a ton of use out of me...

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I guess I'm the outlier since first impressions in the store turned me off from the game completely. While I might of been predisposed against the game as a whole, I do wonder how much the first level set a bad impression. A murky grey level with drab soldiers where you play "that BLACK hedgehog" shooting black aliens. It's visual mush that's usually endgame or bad future instead of the starter level. I find the game much more fascinating as retrospective in seeing what all story beats made it into the game and what got pulled forward to material after it.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
General gameplay doesn't get much better than the first level, though there are a few that are at least prettier to look at.

It does get a bit more fun when you unlock the Omochao gun. It's the best piece of evidence that maybe the game really was meant as a self aware joke.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Should have snapped pics, but figures for the upcoming "Sonic the Hedgehog 3" movie were out at stores near me.

5 inch-ish figures, seemingly just rereleases of Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, with the new addition of Shadow.
And ditto for the 2.5 inch figures.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Should have snapped pics, but figures for the upcoming "Sonic the Hedgehog 3" movie were out at stores near me.

5 inch-ish figures, seemingly just rereleases of Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, with the new addition of Shadow.
And ditto for the 2.5 inch figures.
Dang, yeah. We could have seen Shadow?

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
It looked like Shadow. Just how movie Sonic looks like Sonic, but with texture.

IMG_20240825_132922296_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom