Star Trek General Discussion

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Doesn't Netflix have the option to renew? It was cancelled in Paramount+ and they essentially shelved the nearly completed season 2 for 'tax' reasons. Netflix came in and grabbed it after that.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Been out a few months now, though the French version also got released back around April or something.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Been out a few months now, though the French version also got released back around April or something.
I believe it was released before some of the creators of the show knew about it and they originally believed that it was stolen/released early without permission (but it wasn't)?

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I saw the Langoliers, hehe. Buy I didn't get what they eat. Like, people stuck in between time?

The Hilda time worms from s2 eat doppelgangers of people who mess with time.

I don't know that the translating Murf episode was pointless - it helped expand on the Cetecean Ops stuff, which actually matters more in this show.
I only know of Cetecean ops from Lower Decks (and the Ups and Downs of Star Trek from youtube) but now that Prodigy has shown whales, I'm going to assume that it's related to the whales that Kirk saved or something in one of the movies, which I still haven't seen.

Anyhow, finished s2. It wasn't 10 eps 10 eps arc but more like 15 and 5.

I suppose I should put spoiler tags since Wonko hasn't seen s2?

chakotay finally got cool stuff going on, since he wasn't really doing that much in Voyager, sorta.

Who in the world is his bird friend? I only know that horrible Dr Migglymo from Lower Decks (hate him, not sorry) and the bird race that Peanut Hamper messed around with. Poor guy.

Didnt like the tribbles and the new mutant. Loved the mirrorverse ep, especially evil and not evil Chakotay, haha. Cool that Okana came back for a cameo.

Ending was still epic, hinging on Wesley and such. Kinda loved that splitting up the group doomed them, haha. Still not wild about it being a Gwyn thing, vs an evil elvish pretty but crazy lady. Eh.

Odd but i actually missed Zero's humanoid body, since it did emote better than his ball of light form.

So half of the final ep was Mars being attacked and kids being drafted. What was that suppose to be? Did creators say something? Bet it would have related to who created Dal.

Who was Beverly Crusher's new husband?

All in all, superb series but, geez, it wasn't really for kids, right? First season, maybe but, wow, it just kept getting more and more epic. But all the deep cuts meant its for Trek fans.

Ok, I guess I should finally finish the rest of the movies TOS and Next Gen. But after that, what do I watch next?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Cetaceans ops was originally a thing from way back in TNG development. There was no practical way to put it into the show, so it was dropped, but it never went away. Literally just a note on some set designs referring to the enterprise D's layout.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
So half of the final ep was Mars being attacked and kids being drafted. What was that suppose to be? Did creators say something? Bet it would have related to who created Dal.

Who was Beverly Crusher's new husband?

That entire coda is tieing into the starting events of Picard, as they caught up to it in the timeline. For that reason I'd suggest it after you finish the movies

Same with the Beverly thing - that whole scene ties into Picard as well, don't really want to say more because heavy spoilers

All in all, superb series but, geez, it wasn't really for kids, right? First season, maybe but, wow, it just kept getting more and more epic. But all the deep cuts meant its for Trek fans.
At a surface level it's still got the general appeal and potential self-insert kid characters, and they make sure to explain any Trek-specific things well for the kiddos, then they throw in the deep cuts for the parents watching it with their kids(and the adult fans of course), like how Animaniacs always threw stuff in for the parents besides the slapstick for the kids. It's meant to be a show that kids can jump into fine as their first Trek, without talking down to them.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
1725370449759.png

James Darren who played Vic Fontaine in DS9 has passed away at the age of 88.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I really don't mind the idea that Star Trek's timeline diverged from ours back in the 60's. For a long-lived franchise, it's nice to not have to keep moving "historical" events and technologies around based on real life events.

EDIT: Or maybe the timeline diverged in 1986 due to the early invention of transparent aluminum in Star Trek's version of history?

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I haven't seen this posted about here before, and in addition it's kind of a "last call' announcement, as there's just a week left in the campaign.

TOMY is producing a 1:350 scale diecast model of the original Motion Picture Constitution-class refit Enterprise, for the (high, but still relatively reasonable considering what other, similar products have cost) price of $700 USD.

This is the kind of purchase one needs to think about and weigh, as it's not the kind of thing you can just buy every month (or even year) at the drop of a hat. For me, it's worth it because the refit-Constitution has always been one of my favourite spaceship designs out of all sci-fi. The lines are just beautiful, and even in Trek they inevitably keep returning to steal design elements from it for use in later ships.

Top Bottom