Studio Series 86 Appreciation Thread

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Image of 86 Ultra Magnus Concept Design and Notes for Studio Series Commander Figure (14)__sca...jpg

Image of 86 Ultra Magnus Concept Design and Notes for Studio Series Commander Figure (13)__sca...jpg

Image of 86 Ultra Magnus Concept Design and Notes for Studio Series Commander Figure (12)__sca...jpg

Image of 86 Ultra Magnus Concept Design and Notes for Studio Series Commander Figure (11)__sca...jpg

"Hi Transformer fans!

Hope everyone had fun at SDCC and enjoyed some of the new figures we have coming!

I have some catching up to do with a bunch of requested Insta posts but wanted to start with our SS86 Commander Ultra Magnus.

Bit of a short post but as I mentioned in our SDCC panel, this figures comes courtesy of the wonderful Tomo san at TT.

We crammed in a bunch of wonderful features and articulation that are standard to the scale and really make this a fun figure to play with.

Hopefully you all have been having fun collecting the Junkions so they can fully rebuild Ultra Magnus after his battle with Galvaron and his Sweeps.

Thanks for all the support and we'll have more info and posts coming soon.

Thanks!"
However, this is my current, defacto Ultra Magnus and, IMO, much better than the recent SS version.

Last edited:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
So size-wise it's not even any different from the MP it looks like. Wonder what wackiness you can pull wiht the CW connectors for the limbs if they're still the same scale as the original CW connectors.

Dake

Citizen
Whoa that's crazy. I completely missed the part where he's an all-new mold (or nearly so). I assumed it was just an updated version of what we've had so far and stopped paying attention... they're going to get me to buy him a third time aren't they?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
So size-wise it's not even any different from the MP it looks like. Wonder what wackiness you can pull wiht the CW connectors for the limbs if they're still the same scale as the original CW connectors.

Mensor legs, Dinobot ones, police (Prowl & Streetwise) jet legs, jet helicopter legs, so a LOT!!

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Hoping I didn’t miss out on Snarl. Have not seen him on the shelf and he’s either overpriced or sold out online.

Surprised we haven’t heard about Swoop yet.

*edit* just saw he was found stateside. Guess I’ll keep my eyes out.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hoping I didn’t miss out on Snarl. Have not seen him on the shelf and he’s either overpriced or sold out online.

Surprised we haven’t heard about Swoop yet.

*edit* just saw he was found stateside. Guess I’ll keep my eyes out.
I just want to find Skar.

PMurphy1978

Citizen
Hey all!

So far the only Transformers that I have are Studio Series 86 ones, I started last November with Sludge and over the last year filled out with Slug (bleurgh), Gridlock and Snarl.

In recent weeks I've secured the upcoming Ratchet, Ultra Magnus (who arrived yesterday) as well as Blurr, Kup (02BB), Jazz, and a few cores.

As you'll all be more knowledgeable than myself, I wanted to check in with a few questions if I may?

Firstly - is SS86 its own specific range or complementary? By this I mean will everyone get a figure? Or are Earthrise and Legacy essentially the same range? I don't want to go buying Earthrise or Legacy figures and then they get a SS86 release!

Secondly - why is the range so heavily weighted in the Autobot's favour? Starscream and Scourge are the only real players of note so far. In the interim, are there specific Prime or Galvatron figures I can use (assuming they'd get SS86 figures).

Lastly - and specific to Magnus - anyone find the antennae difficult to attach or find that they easily fall off? Found it quite stiff and difficult to transform him too, although managed it in the end.

Thanks for having me and for taking the time with the post!

Undead Scottsman

Citizen
There's no hard and fast rule on the mainline vs studio series.

We got G1 Arcee in Earthrise back in 2020, and she got an updated figure in Studio Series' 2022 lineup. Ultra Magnus got figures in Siege (2019), Kingdom (2021) and Studio Series (2023). Ironhide/Ratchet both got figures in Earthrise (Ratchet was exclusive) and now the've gotten (or are getting) studio series '86 figures.

Meanwhile characters like Rodimus Prime are Kingdom while Hot Rod is Studio Series. Galvatron and Cyclonus were Kingdom while Scourge and a Sweep were Studio Series.

Ultimately, they're complementary, but that doesn't preclude a figure getting remade in Studio Series.

Last edited:

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hey all!

So far the only Transformers that I have are Studio Series 86 ones, I started last November with Sludge and over the last year filled out with Slug (bleurgh), Gridlock and Snarl.

In recent weeks I've secured the upcoming Ratchet, Ultra Magnus (who arrived yesterday) as well as Blurr, Kup (02BB), Jazz, and a few cores.

As you'll all be more knowledgeable than myself, I wanted to check in with a few questions if I may?

Firstly - is SS86 its own specific range or complementary? By this I mean will everyone get a figure? Or are Earthrise and Legacy essentially the same range? I don't want to go buying Earthrise or Legacy figures and then they get a SS86 release!

Secondly - why is the range so heavily weighted in the Autobot's favour? Starscream and Scourge are the only real players of note so far. In the interim, are there specific Prime or Galvatron figures I can use (assuming they'd get SS86 figures).

Lastly - and specific to Magnus - anyone find the antennae difficult to attach or find that they easily fall off? Found it quite stiff and difficult to transform him too, although managed it in the end.

Thanks for having me and for taking the time with the post!
Also I want to add that they have said that anyone that appeared in TFTM is fair game, so the line will probably be going for a while.

Dake

Citizen
There's no hard and fast rule on the mainline vs studio series.

We got G1 Arcee in Kindom back in 2021, and she got an updated figure in Studio Series' 2022 lineup. Ultra Magnus got figures in Siege (2019), Kingdom (2021) and Studio Series (2023). Ironhide/Ratchet both got figures in Earthrise (Ratchet was exclusive) and now the've gotten (or are getting) studio series '86 figures.

Meanwhile characters like Rodimus Prime are Kingdom while Hot Rod is Studio Series. Galvatron and Cyclonus were Kingdom while Scourge and a Sweep were Studio Series.

Ultimately, they're complementary, but that doesn't preclude a figure getting remade in Studio Series.

Great answer!

I'd just add that the only relatively consistent (if not absolute) rule seems to be that the Studio Series is for figures that require either more paint or a higher parts count (or both) which demand a higher price point. You can loosely think of the Legacy line as the "standard" line and Studio Series as "premium" figures, even though they all follow the same aesthetic.

PMurphy1978

Citizen
Great answer!

I'd just add that the only relatively consistent (if not absolute) rule seems to be that the Studio Series is for figures that require either more paint or a higher parts count (or both) which demand a higher price point. You can loosely think of the Legacy line as the "standard" line and Studio Series as "premium" figures, even though they all follow the same aesthetic.

So basically I might need to get Legacy figures?

:ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom