Studio Series discussion

The Phazer

Citizen
You mean the stripe that's always been there and is thus supposed to be there?

G1_OptimusPrime_toy.jpg

The one that's the same or lighter than any other greys or silvers on the toy there, but inexplicably darker than every other grey on this new toy.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The better proportioned trailer is the only thing this has going for it over ER Prime for me. He looks good, and if you had missed out on ER Prime, then this one is a no brainer.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The one that's the same or lighter than any other greys or silvers on the toy there
Because the original stripe was a pre-applied decal.

but inexplicably darker than every other grey on this new toy.
Because toon-accuracy:

w7pjcz5vv97.jpg

The cartoon model made the original toy's chrome-painted parts white, while the stripe decal was colored gray since it was a duller, less shiny-reflective silver than the vacuum-metalized chrome paint.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
The one that's the same or lighter than any other greys or silvers on the toy there, but inexplicably darker than every other grey on this new toy.
Inexplicable from looking at the original toy, but not from looking at the cartoon that this is trying to adhere to so closely. That's just what cartoon Optimus looks like. It's why they did the same thing with MP-44.

None of which is to say I like it. I still lean toward ER Optimus just like I prefer MP-10 over MP-44. Those color choices are definitely one of the factors. More bizarre than the dark gray stripe is having the waist and thighs be white while the grill and smokestacks are silver. Again, the same as MP-44, but in this case without any real cartoon justification that I've been able to make out.

His backpack didn't look good in the piano image. It's something I wanted to see if it might be better in the full reveal, but it's conspicuously not visible in any of these pictures. We also can't see the back of the cab, which is often a weakness in Optimus toys.

I'm not completely writing it off yet. Depending on SS86 Megatron, I can still imagine a scenario where I'd want to have this Optimus specifically as a counterpart to that Megatron. But as a definitive G1 Optimus, I'm still not seeing this as any real upgrade to ER Optimus.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
This looks good. Like, really good, IMO. I love ER Prime and fully intend to keep it (just like I kept Classics and various other modern iterations of Prime over the years). However, this scratches my itch for toon/'86 Movie goodness, and I am looking forward to getting it. Can't wait for more pics, eventual in-hand reviews, and "how the sausage is made" posts from the Hasbro team.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm kind of leaning on pass or wait for review as it looks to cartoon like for my tastes as the ER figure has been the best OP in a long time for mainline, thou it shares some parts with the Siege figure and then its shared with the Legacy G2 Laser OP, thus its hard to top and fits right in with all of the other WFC/ER/Kingdom/Legacy figures

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
If they release a cheaper version without the trailer, I'd go for it. As is, I'll wait for a sale. Looks good, still a lot for a G1 Prime and a box to shove into storage.

NovaSaber

Citizen
And the windows are clear plastic with goofy bright blue paint on the inside and inconsistent with the command deck that has a proper transparent blue window - surely the worst of all possible worlds for everyone.
Nah, the worst would be transparent plastic that was painted over (in a solid color) on the outside; the structural weakness of translucent plastic with absolutely no aesthetic benefit.

This....looks better than solid opaque blue would, and it's not like he has a vehicle interior behind those windows so it does have at least one advantage over anything clear enough to see detail through.

I do think it's weird that Studio Series 86 doesn't use "cel-shading" (or whatever the correct term is for putting that look on a physical object) for windows (and only for windows), though, since that's what would actually be screen-accurate.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I do think it's weird that Studio Series 86 doesn't use "cel-shading" (or whatever the correct term is for putting that look on a physical object) for windows (and only for windows), though, since that's what would actually be screen-accurate.

I don't normally go for cell shading or for painted windows, but that is actually a really good suggestion. Don't know how well it would translate "in real life" but I like the way it looks mocked up real quick in MS Paint (the thinking man's Photoshop)

OP_003.jpg
OP_005.jpg

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Damn. That's nicer than I was expecting. I was hoping for a good reason to skip this, but I ain't seeing it at the moment.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Looks like a decent Optimus with a giant useless box. As expected but I guess I was expecting more than a couple of blast effects at the Commander price point.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Looks pretty great to me, I think the backpack won't be a big issue. Not a fan of the windows but that's the only real negative. And I really like how the repair pod can attach to Roller. I still never got the Earthrise one (even after the re-release) so probably an easy buy...

But my one concern is size - I'm worried he looks a little small, and I wonder how he'll look next to all the other SS86 dudes. Hopefully we get some comparison images soon.

Top Bottom