Studio Series discussion

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I can;t wait till they make a dead/dying version!

They might decide to skip that for a couple of years and go with a standard black repaint to Nemesis, the ER mold not had a Nemesis repaint, the Legacy G2 & Siege molds got that treatment, while ER had dying OP & Shattered Glass repaints, just the ER trailer got the black deco to go with the Nemesis spoiler pack repaint of Siege

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I don't normally go for cell shading or for painted windows, but that is actually a really good suggestion. Don't know how well it would translate "in real life" but I like the way it looks mocked up real quick in MS Paint (the thinking man's Photoshop)

View attachment 22098View attachment 22099
That makes a HUGE difference. Cel-shading, when done in moderation, can offer a REALLY nice pop to the visual look. Toei ALWAYS animated some sort of “reflection” on Prime’s windows in every episode they did. The omission removes a key visual “hook” to the animated series/movie.

As it stands, though? It’s a very impressive offering, but having been doing this for over 20 years, multiple Masterpiece figures, dozens of “mass market/mainline” interpretations of the this same basic design…I’m not sure I see enough there to warrant dropping $90+. THAT SAID…for those unable to get or afford the Masterpiece? This is clearly an excellent substitution.

But for me? There is nothing particularly unique or distinctive from the many (many) Optimus Prime figures I have. I’m quite satisfied with the Battle Pack Earthrise flavor, got Siege for something a little “tougher”, probably getting the G1 toy based deluxe, got the Nemesis Spoiler set for the trailer (for my G2 itch). The trailer does nothing the Earthrise trailer doesn’t already do (and I got the accessory set for Roller). The Prime figure has a bit more articulation and is more complex, but doesn’t offer a tremendous amount more, visually, than I already have.
If I want something even MOAR G1 accurate…the Dramatic capture series set is about the same price, offers the already decent Earthrise mold in super G1 colors AND I get a nice Jazz and a Mainframe/Teletran-1 as well.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hah, the stripe thing reminds me of this thread I made a while back...

Also, frontpaged:

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
RANT!!

YOU GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO STRIVE FOR SHOW ACCURACY ONLY TO SCREW WITH ONE OF MY FAVE DETAILS CARTOON/MOVIE HAS ONLY 1 SET OF HEADLIGHTS!!
HOW DO YOU CONSISTENTLY GET THIS WRONG AND HOW HAVE NOT DONE IT RIGHT!!!!!! ARGH!!!
how-will-ss86-handle-optimus-primes-truck-mode-v0-s8xfziytpuuc1.jpg
JUSTICE FOR SINGLE LIGHT PRIME

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
After giving it some thought, I'm half tempted to cancel my preorder for Deluxe Prime and put those funds towards SS86 instead.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
One thing that will be cool to see, is the galleries of Missing Link Prime next to SS86 Prime.
While Deluxe G1 looks good, I think I’m gonna hunt down missing link and this guy.

So I’m most likely getting SS86 Prime, so long as the actual transformation between bot and truck is both impressive and fun. The fun part is (on top of the price) what stopped me from buying mp44. His transformation is, while technically impressive, one if the most intricate, complex and Not fun I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Evan Brooks has made two designer posts on Instagram for the new SS86 Optimus:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9fYFZvvwxZ/
Hello Transformer fans!

Seems the Bot is out of the bag!

Our Friends over at Gizmodo just dropped the reveal article for SS86 Optimus Prime!

https://gizmodo.com/hasbro-studio-series-optimus-prime-transformers-the-movie-2000473908

Tomo san was an absolute wizard in bringing this figure to life at our CMD price point and I hope you all will stay tuned as I follow up with another post to answer some questions I've seen floating around.

Pre-orders go live today 7/16 @ hasbropulse at 1 pm ET.

Thank you,
-Evan

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9fl2OKu-Pa/?igsh=Z3I2ejI3bjJxODQ5
Hi Transformers fans,

I wanted to follow up to give you all a bit more info on our new SS86 CMD Optimus Prime!

Designed by the wonderful Tomo san over at Takara Tomy, this bot was a passion project.

One of my favorite design flourishes that Tomo san came up with is how he achieved matching the animated leg's curved profile. Its a very simple hinge that then allows the truck bed to go flat when you flip it over, it's brilliantly simple! I certainly love when blue robot boots are in that that shape and it really brings the animated look to life.

We set out with several "must haves" for this figure, including some extra articulation in his chest so he can clasps his hands together to deliver a final blow to Megatron. The butterfly hinges really does give him some next level posing ability.

He's about a head taller than our previous LDR Earthrise Optimus which helps him scale a lot better with our more recent figures.

He of course comes with the Matrix and is even articulated enough that he can be posed opening his chest panels.

Roller and Auto Launcher house inside the trailer who can also merge together to roll around and cause some damage. Roller can even pull the Trailer by himself if need be along with having Titan masters ride inside him.

We sided the combat deck so that it can carry a DLX carbot inside while Roller and Auto Launcher are also housed.

Lastly, if you happened to have picked up our Comic Shockwave exclusive with the Severed Optimus head included, I'm happy to show that it also fits on this Prime! albeit, a bit small as we wanted to make sure the Earthrise Prime could still transform with it attached.

Even though this is an 86 item, it was developed with the intent of being a celebration of the G1 Series 40th anniversary. I hope you all will enjoy him as his transformation is quite fun and addicting.

Thanks,
-Evan
l4necq3rkx4.jpg

p7bwcprqxm7.jpg

w7pjc2ej5g7.jpg

d7ogc69z59y.jpg

j7kzckrl5l7.jpg

my2pcewbz87.jpg

l7lxc5mbla7.jpg

84jdcedp8v4.jpg

pyq9clrqmd4.jpg

(Cue PrimalxConvoy reporting the exact same content in 3...2...1...)

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm still on the fence about this figure, I just not feeling him, it might be because they used white instead of grey on the legs and the larger chest area, I'm still leaning on the pass side of things as I am rather happy with the ER/Netflix verisons and there isn't all that much of a difference between the two, then again it could be the fact that its taken so long for them to make a G1 OP that looks like he did back in the 80s as a mainline figure that I see very little value in getting him, besides the trailer would likely end up just sitting around gathering dust and stuff, similar to Rodimus's and the other trailers that aren't Armada or POTP

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Hi Transformers fans,
I wanted to follow up to give you all a bit more info on our new SS86 CMD Optimus Prime!

Designed by the wonderful Tomo san over at Takara Tomy, this bot was a passion project.

One of my favorite design flourishes that Tomo san came up with is how he achieved matching the animated leg's curved profile. Its a very simple hinge that then allows the truck bed to go flat when you flip it over, it's brilliantly simple! I certainly love when blue robot boots are in that that shape and it really brings the animated look to life.

We set out with several "must haves" for this figure, including some extra articulation in his chest so he can clasps his hands together to deliver a final blow to Megatron. The butterfly hinges really does give him some next level posing ability.

He's about a head taller than our previous LDR Earthrise Optimus which helps him scale a lot better with our more recent figures.

He of course comes with the Matrix and is even articulated enough that he can be posed opening his chest panels.

Roller and Auto Launcher house inside the trailer who can also merge together to roll around and cause some damage. Roller can even pull the Trailer by himself if need be along with having Titan masters ride inside him.

We sided the combat deck so that it can carry a DLX carbot inside while Roller and Auto Launcher are also housed.

Lastly, if you happened to have picked up our Comic Shockwave exclusive with the Severed Optimus head included, I'm happy to show that it also fits on this Prime! albeit, a bit small as we wanted to make sure the Earthrise Prime could still transform with it attached.

Even though this is an 86 item, it was developed with the intent of being a celebration of the G1 Series 40th anniversary. I hope you all will enjoy him as his transformation is quite fun and addicting.

Thanks,
-Evan
Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (19)__scaled_600.jpg

Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (18)__scaled_600.jpg

Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (17)__scaled_600.jpg

Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (16)__scaled_600.jpg

Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (15)__scaled_600.jpg

Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (14)__scaled_600.jpg

Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (13)__scaled_600.jpg

Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (12)__scaled_600.jpg

Daily Prime - 86 Optimus Prime Commander Concept Design Notes & Images (11)__scaled_600.jpg

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
1. Him being bigger than Earthrise is great.
2. The trailer being significantly bigger than the ER trailer is very good. I mean, yeah it’s still a box, but it’s a nice box.
3. That backpack, while chunky, isn’t really that big or that bad.

The transformation should be interesting.

Hmm… I’m gonna be looking for a lot of Prime this year.

SS86 Prime
Missing Link Prime
SDCC Fractured Friendship pack (if I can snag one.

Top Bottom