Studio Series discussion

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Agreed. This Optimus feels a little too big. Since Siege, they've done a great job o maintaing a reasonable facsimile of proper robot mode scale for everyone. This Optimus, while beautiful in isolation, stands out as looking a bit oversized when compared to other figures.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'll wait 'til we see size comparisons with the SS86 Dinobots in robot mode.

Or, what might be interesting is a size comparison with MP Grimlock, whom some were using as their CHUG Grimlock back before the SS86 Leader came along.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Show me the vehicle mode next to Ultra Magnus. That's the size comparison that matters.
Oh. Oh dear. A bigger Optimus might make some want an even bigger Magnus. And many already complained about the SS86 Commander Magnus being too big.

---

The thing about Ultra Magnus that a lot of people don't realize is that he was a size-changer in the cartoon. Not as extreme as Megatron and Soundwave were, but when he transformed, he shrank when going from vehicle to robot mode. His truck cab was equal in size and shape to Optimus's, and his car carrier trailer was about the same size as Optimus's trailer; both of which were big enough to carry some of their smaller Autobot Car comrades. But in robot mode, the entirety of Ultra Magnus's combined cab-and-trailer robot mode was only a head taller than Optimus's cab robot mode.

So, it's a lose-lose situation when trying to make a toy of him: Either his vehicle mode ends up being too small in order to make his robot mode the right size, or his robot mode ends up being gargantuan (just like his original G1 toy) in order to make his vehicle mode big enough to accommodate Deluxe class Autobot Cars.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I find it funny that they prioritize vehicle mode scale so much exclusively for Magnuses. I mean, yeah, his truck cab is the same size as Optimus and his vehicle mode transports cars so logically he should be gargantuan but at the same time, we don’t see Hasbro making gigantic Astrotrains or Cyclonuses.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Scale is always going to be a silly thing, but it's extra jarring if you have the same vehicle in two different sizes.
Oh, you just now made me wonder how this Optimus's cab is also going to compare size-wise to Legacy Motormaster's cab. That's another one a lot of people want to be the same size as Optimus's cab.

Onyx

Citizen
Got my 86 Prime pre-ordered. Was iffy on the backpack at first, but new images have me feeling it's not that bad.

Now, 86 Megatron really has to hit it out of the park. It cant just be an upscaled Siege/ER Megs. I liked someone's idea of them making him a pre-Galvatron heavy artillery cannon.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hmm… Making him a big cannon would be an interesting change from tank. Allowing him to be a gun without being a gun. The downside is he might end up feeling a bit too much like Galvy or Straxus.

Still, he likely will be a tank. But yeah, hopefully a brand new take that isn’t just a retooled Siege. At least we know he has to be bigger to battle new Prime. As to scale, I’m not too worried, so long as his cab isn’t too big. Based on the way he looked with Rodimus, I’m not too worried.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"We have a really great show for you here tonight. Now, let's have a big round of applause for our first act. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!"

OPyay.gif

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Now, 86 Megatron really has to hit it out of the park. It cant just be an upscaled Siege/ER Megs. I liked someone's idea of them making him a pre-Galvatron heavy artillery cannon.
Do we know what class he'll be? If he's Commander sized I have faith the budget can handle the main problem with modern G1 Megs designs- trying to turn something that isn't a Walther P38 pistol into a robot with phantom Walther P38 pistol parts.

Top Bottom