Studio Series discussion

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Galvatron is already this new height. ;)
I remember Galvatron only being maybe half a head taller than Rodimus, and a quick image search seems to back that up. But still, fair point. Galvatron is already taller regardless.

But in a world where SS86 Magnus is bigger than the Dinobots and SS86 Springer is half a head taller than Siege Springer for no apparent reason, does anyone really believe that SS86 Galvatron won't be either remolded or (more likely) a whole new design, and be at least the same height as this new Optimus? Honestly, I'd be shocked if it's just the Kingdom Galvatron mold at this point.

I'm settling into the idea that ER Optimus is going to be the Optimus for my general Generations group, primarily consisting of WfC, Legacy, and most of SS86. I'm fully expecting at this point that there's going to be a completely separate set for the core TFTM cast that tends to overlap with that group at the Deluxe class, but otherwise just scales differently. Which I guess I can live with. I mean, I already have sets of the core new Autobot cast from G1 (partial, work in progress), CHUG, PWT, WfC/Legacy, and SS86 once Springer gets here. I already treat those as separate sets that don't need to match each other. What's a couple more characters added to that set? As long as Generations continues the WfC/Legacy scale, I can be satisfied with that. I just really don't want to see a situation where, say, Sunstorm finally gets a new update, but in a new, larger SS86 Seeker mold. I'd hope that's unlikely given SS86 Starscream already exists, but stranger things have happened. *Glares at SS Crankcase*

Although I'm still a bit irritated that this probably means Siege/ER Megs will continue to be my general Generations Megatron. I was really hoping SS86 Megatron would be a great upgrade for him. Oh, and I also would hope that there will be no shenanigans with the SS86 Constructicons. Surely, Devastator won't be his own random size that doesn't match the other contemporary combiners AGAIN, right? ...Right? :confused:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
SS86 Ultra Magnus is only as big as he is because of his altmode needing to be big enough to carry Deluxe class Autobot Cars, just like his original G1 toy. It's like I said before:
The thing about Ultra Magnus that a lot of people don't realize is that he was a size-changer in the cartoon. Not as extreme as Megatron and Soundwave were, but when he transformed, he shrank when going from vehicle to robot mode. His truck cab was equal in size and shape to Optimus's, and his car carrier trailer was about the same size as Optimus's trailer; both of which were big enough to carry some of their smaller Autobot Car comrades. But in robot mode, the entirety of Ultra Magnus's combined cab-and-trailer robot mode was only a head taller than Optimus's cab robot mode.

So, it's a lose-lose situation when trying to make a toy of him: Either his vehicle mode ends up being too small in order to make his robot mode the right size, or his robot mode ends up being gargantuan (just like his original G1 toy) in order to make his vehicle mode big enough to accommodate Deluxe class Autobot Cars.
Basically, SS86 Ultra Magnus strives for vehicle mode scale, while the likes of Siege and Kingdom Ultra Magnus strive for robot mode scale. Having two separate figures in two separate sizes is the only way to get both of his modes at the proper scale while also getting around his onscreen size-changing transformation that simply can't be replicated in physical toy form due to the Law of Conservation of Mass.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I do realize that, and I'm certainly not trying to argue any of it. I've already lamented how HasLab Omega Prime is gigantic purely so RiD Ultra Magnus can carry deluxe cars around. I understand why both Magnuses are the size they are. Doesn't mean I personally like it in either case. To each their own, though.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I do realize that, and I'm certainly not trying to argue any of it. I've already lamented how HasLab Omega Prime is gigantic purely so RiD Ultra Magnus can carry deluxe cars around. I understand why both Magnuses are the size they are. Doesn't mean I personally like it in either case. To each their own, though.
I, too, actually did wish for the HasLab Omega Prime toy to be smaller, simply because of how, in the RID01 cartoon, Optimus didn't to tower over everyone else in his standard robot mode* like his original toy did. Plus, sizing him up to the Legacy Velocitron Scourge figure means the HasLab figure's standard robot mode will now be a giant when compared to Scourge.

* - minus the Bullet Trains, as those guys were huge in the cartoon

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So long as any potential SS86 Megs is a brand new take like Prime and not a redesign of the Siege tooling, he should hopefully be good.

i mean, I like the Siege Megs and it’s tooling enough that I have the Siege, Netflix Siege, Gen Selects Hero, Earthrise G2 and (hopefully) will get the Gladiator Megs/Orion Pax twopack. But it is very much time for a new mold Megs.

oh and please Hasbro, give us a full on tank bid G2 Megs soon.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Reverse Convoy is one of those ideas they could have a lot of fun with and just don't. Like, Titans Return was right there.
To be fair, RobotMasters didn't do much with his gimmick either. Like, he's introduced in one chapter, and then immediately drops his disguise in the very next chapter, instead of keeping up the ruse to play the long game against the Autobots. But nope, he just had to reveal himself as Megatron all along, holding his disguise for a little more than 5 minutes.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
To be fair, RobotMasters didn't do much with his gimmick either. Like, he's introduced in one chapter, and then immediately drops his disguise in the very next chapter, instead of keeping up the ruse to play the long game against the Autobots. But nope, he just had to reveal himself as Megatron all along, holding his disguise for a little more than 5 minutes.

Completely unfamiliar with anything about Reverse Convoy other than knowing about the toy, but it seems backwards in execution. Like, he's a tank. It's clearly Megatron wearing a Ben Cooper Optimus Prime mask and after he blue himself. A more convincing disguise would have seen Megatron turning into a semi truck with the Megatron head and a cannon being able to transform out when needed.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Could be worse. A modern toy would get no fiction at all.

But the seeds of an interesting idea are there.

Blot

Citizen
Completely unfamiliar with anything about Reverse Convoy other than knowing about the toy, but it seems backwards in execution. Like, he's a tank. It's clearly Megatron wearing a Ben Cooper Optimus Prime mask and after he blue himself. A more convincing disguise would have seen Megatron turning into a semi truck with the Megatron head and a cannon being able to transform out when needed.
To be fair this is back when "Convoy" meant you could be any number of things. Heck, in the very same toyline he's in there's a Truck Convoy, a Gorilla Convoy, and a Lion Convoy. Tank Convoy just meshes right in. And disguise or not, Reverse Convoy in fiction was an actual Convoy prior to the whole "possessed by Megatron" thing.

It can't be helped that Megatron couldn't keep the ruse going longer because he had a really really good pun he wanted to tell everyone.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Reverse Convoy was a neat idea that would have been a lot of fun if played right. I mean, imagine Megs using Reverse Convoy as an unwitting sleeper agent to find out secrets/battleplans, or sabotage things, with Reverse being completely unaware he’s being puppeted. Could’ve made for a great cat-and-mouse thing until the big reveal.

Ah.

Incorporating a Reverse Convoy gimmick or retool option into any hypothetical new tank bod G2 Megs would be very cool.

I mean, i would say one can dream, but since we’ve gotten quite a few crazy obscure bots of late. Fingers crossed for sometime in the future.

Also, pie-in-the-sky Commander Class Stealth Bomber Megs.

Also also, SS86 Primes preorders are sold out on Hasbro Pulse uk right now. Guess I waited too long to try for a preorder Dangit!

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
A more convincing disguise would have seen Megatron turning into a semi truck with the Megatron head and a cannon being able to transform out when needed.

This is exactly what I would have done with AOE, but they decided to call him Galvatron and have him look Megatronish from the moment we see him.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I’m convinced that the only reason Reverse Convoy existed was that some higher up employee at Takara came up with the wordplay and nobody could tell him no so they had to come up with the head swapping gimmick working backwards.

Top Bottom