Studio Series discussion

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The thing about Ultra Magnus that a lot of people don't realize is that he was a size-changer in the cartoon.
That reminds me...

1721366546547.jpeg

Anyone recreated this with the SS Ultra Magnus and G1 Constructicons yet?

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Reverse Convoy is one of those ideas they could have a lot of fun with and just don't. Like, Titans Return was right there.
Paint Hardhead blue and grey. Pack in an Optimus head and a Megatron head. Stash whatever head you're not using in the cockpit that hangs off the robot mode's back.

Boom. Done.

How did this not happen?

I do realize that, and I'm certainly not trying to argue any of it. I've already lamented how HasLab Omega Prime is gigantic purely so RiD Ultra Magnus can carry deluxe cars around. I understand why both Magnuses are the size they are. Doesn't mean I personally like it in either case. To each their own, though.
I'm not a fan of Magnus being huge and Kingdom Magnus works just fine for me. He's a more appropriate size in robot mode AND I get the inner white Optimus/armour gimmick intact.

The only thing I sacrifice is the car carrier but I rather have the more manageable robot size and inner robot/armour gimmick so it works out pretty well.

I get why SS 86 Magnus is as big as he is and I'm very happy that a Magnus who can do what he does exist for people who prioritize the car carrier aspect.

But that's mostly because the version that does what I want with the character also exists. So everyone is being served.

Last edited:

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
2 of my 3 Gamer Edition Decepticon Soldiers are in my PoL. My other one I ordered like 3 weeks later so he's apparently not arrived yet.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
TR Megs does make a surprisingly good Reverse Convoy with either the OP head, or the Sentinel head. Although that onky really works with the Leo Prime head cause, you know, Sentinels orange. :)

Honestly, the more I see of SS86 Prime, the more he grows on my. He’s going to look good with the rest of the 86 bots. Or the Origin bots if I ever get around to hunting them down.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
TR Megs does make a surprisingly good Reverse Convoy with either the OP head, or the Sentinel head. Although that only really works with the Leo Prime head cause, you know, Sentinels orange.
Yes, I'm surprised TT didn't make it, considering it was pointed out/asked for by fans at the time and both they and Hasbro milked TR for almost everything (except by making the headmaster juniors/transtectors for some odd reason).

Also, I definitely saw a brilliant custom, using TR Megatron and the extra Sentinel head, but I couldn't find it, so here are some other customs instead.
Zombodroid_20072024081324.jpg

Zombodroid_20072024081507.jpg

digibash_titan_wars_reverse_convoy_by_leokearonmsc_daq318s-414w-2x_1.jpg

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Because Titans Return was made under John Warden's tenure, which was when Hasbro was all "We're going back to the 1980s for All G1, All the Time, baby!" 😒
I admit that I do like Warden. Combiners, Headmasters, stuff like Soundwave and Blaster and the cassettes as tape decks and cassettes that we were told "couldn't happen" under Archer suddenly not only did happen, but ended up (IMO) being quite good.

TR might be my single favourite Generations line and it was made possible because of Warden's team.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Because Titans Return was made under John Warden's tenure, which was when Hasbro was all "We're going back to the 1980s for All G1, All the Time, baby!" 😒
That might explain Hasbro’s side but Reverse Convoy is more of Takara’s wheelhouse anyway. with all the insanity Takara was up to at the time with Legends, they didn’t do it either, maybe because they couldn’t find a time or place or due to disappointing sales.

I dunno, maybe Robot Masters isn’t very popular. Even Robot Master-original redecos don’t get made despite suitable molds being available. It was more or less Japan’s version of the first Universe and that doesn’t get much attention either.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
I dunno, maybe Robot Masters isn’t very popular. Even Robot Master-original redecos don’t get made despite suitable molds being available. It was more or less Japan’s version of the first Universe and that doesn’t get much attention either.
I kinda think the line is overrated. Optimus Prime is a neat scaled down MP, but other than that...

Star Sabre and Victory Leo are just scaled down versions of their G1 figures (to a point) and are too small and too limited to work as "modern updates" of their designs.

Starscream is a flimsy and awkwardly proportioned figure who got outdone by the Classics mould.

You have a bunch of repaints- some of whom are kind neat but none of them strike me as must haves.

The only guys who really stand out are the Beast Wars guys, who end up as really cool compact versions of their bigger toys and work in a "the Maximals and Predacons were always smaller than Autobots and Decepticons" kind of way if you wanted them in a current collection but even then, finding other BW figures to scale with them might be difficult.

RobotMasters was really one of the first pangs of the G1 revival and kind of a Classics precursor, but that's just it. Everything it did ended up getting surpassed by other lines.

Top Bottom