Studio Series discussion

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My pet theory is that RM Optimus Prime was designed as a companion piece to MP-01 for kids, with no idea how they were actually going to release the thing, and Robotmasters was subsequently cobbled into existence. There was no broader plan for what the line was supposed to be. They just needed a vehicle to get their mini MP-01 into stores, and they threw together an excuse line with an excuse plot.

They did hit on the idea of making other mini (and toonier) versions of larger toys, and that was fun, but they weren't given time to refine any of those designs because they weren't the reason the line existed in the first place.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The only guys who really stand out are the Beast Wars guys, who end up as really cool compact versions of their bigger toys and work in a "the Maximals and Predacons were always smaller than Autobots and Decepticons" kind of way if you wanted them in a current collection but even then, finding other BW figures to scale with them might be difficult.
I used to have Titanium Optimal Optimus displayed with Classics because he felt roughly correct scale-wise.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
If people can jack off homages to goddamn Enemy and ever how many wacky misprint things for who knows how long now, something like Reverse Convoy can certainly have a go again.
It's only a matter of time before someone at Takara decides that this random miscolor is actually a new character just so they can have another thing to recolor every Frumble into:

Hm_ep15_rumble_or_frenzy.jpg

(I hope I didn't just give Takara any ideas)

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
My pet theory is that RM Optimus Prime was designed as a companion piece to MP-01 for kids, with no idea how they were actually going to release the thing, and Robotmasters was subsequently cobbled into existence. There was no broader plan for what the line was supposed to be. They just needed a vehicle to get their mini MP-01 into stores, and they threw together an excuse line with an excuse plot.

They did hit on the idea of making other mini (and toonier) versions of larger toys, and that was fun, but they weren't given time to refine any of those designs because they weren't the reason the line existed in the first place.
The all-star lineup but small size/budget says to me that they were hoping the line does well but didn't want to spend too much money on it. In all likelihood, it was meant to be a filler to tide things over between Superlink and Galaxy Force.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The all-star lineup but small size/budget says to me that they were hoping the line does well but didn't want to spend too much money on it. In all likelihood, it was meant to be a filler to tide things over between Superlink and Galaxy Force.
Robotmasters was concurrent with Superlink into Galaxy Force. The intent was always to be a budget-minded supplement to the “main” franchise push, which is why most toys were deluxe(ish) and under and all the new molds were those of major franchise character iterations. We all called it, rightfully, Takara’s take on Hasbro’s Transformers Universe 03. Though, looking back, you can also see a lot of the mentality that currently drives the Authentics segment at play as well.

The short duration of the line, I feel, can be attributed to a drop off Transformers sales saw after Micron Legend. Both Superlink and Galaxy Force were noticeably truncated compared to Hasbro’s versions, even omitting featured show characters/decos Or relegating them to being retailer exclusives.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Ah makes sense. Transformers really isn’t all that big in Japanso they’d not invest a huge amount there. Scheduling thing is probably right. I honestly don’t remember that time all that well.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Y'know, I've heard this over the years, but if that's really the case... man, Takara sure does a LOT to keep up a line with a small audience.

Kinda wish Capcom would take a clue.
Heh, thinking more about it, even if Transformers was big in Japan, it'd still be a comparatively small audience since Japan is the sole territory covered by TakaraTomy while the rest of the world's Transformers audience is all covered by Hasbro.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Most of what they do nowadays is import Hasbro’s stuff and even then they don’t release the complete toylines at retail any more. Compare that to the entire toylines full of premium paintjobs and retools we used to get from them.

That said, even if Transformers isn’t as big in Japan anymore, it’s still arguably Takara’s biggest action toy brand, aside from maybe Beyblade.

Last edited:

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
I've heard that while Transformers was never huge in Japan it was still fairly popular until Prime tanked the line's popularity and they still haven't recovered from that.

How much of that is true... I donno. But I thought it was interesting given that the Prime line didn't light the world on fire for Hasbro either

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Due to declining interest in Transformers in general, Takara was somewhat desperate to appeal to what they perceived was popular among children for Prime, so they did Micron model kits, stickers and a goofy tone for the show. They even tried putting in segments of a girl band to try and garner interest. This didn't work so they later shifted to courting adult collectors for later lines which ultimately didn't work out very well either.

As I understand, sentient robots are seen as a thing for very young children in Japan and you're expected to graduate to model kits once you're old enough not to chew on the parts, contributing to the somewhat negative image.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
There's a lot I like about but I can see how it maybe didn't work. Too...polished for lack of a better term?
In an interview Jeff Kline did with the TFNation 2021 virtual con, he revealed that the Prime creative team at the time was trying to make a Transformers show that was more like The Sopranos than otherwise.

Last month at BotCon, I told Aaron Archer that Kline had said that in that interview, and Archer's reaction to hearing that was a baffled one, along the lines of "We didn't ask them to do that," or "That's not at all what we asked for them to do," implying that Hasbro at the time wasn't pleased with how dark the show was.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Most of what they do nowadays is import Hasbro’s stuff and even then they don’t release the complete toylines at retail any more. Compare that to the entire toylines full of premium paintjobs and retools we used to get from them.

That said, even if Transformers isn’t as big in Japan anymore, it’s still arguably Takara’s biggest action toy brand, aside from maybe Beyblade.
Shinkalion exists though, if you're talking about internal to Japan. It may not get much play outside, but it made it into SRW 30, and it's still going after this long.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
It’s doing pretty well but I wouldn't say it’s flagship material yet, at least in the quantity and relative cost of releases.

It wasn't dark. It was just pompous.
I dunno, the tone was pretty alright, in fact I prefer the more toned down humor they had. What I found terrible was the long stretches of meandering in between anything happening. Feels like the characters were stuck doing side quests and DLC rather than advancing the plot or characters.

Top Bottom