Studio Series discussion

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Plus, as much as they really wanted WFC/FOC to be part of Aligned. Especially with FOCs Prime Megatron style redesign, Trypticon being the Nemesis and Cliffy getting his Prime head. Even though the games a very clearly aiming to be a G1 style backstory. Everything Matt Teiger and Hugh Moon said leans this way.

On a related note, should SSGamer Edition get to FOC designs, i will be unavoidably sad should any hypothetical Prime and Megs end being better designed figures.

Plus, the SDCC twopack with its IDW Orion Gamer retool is both very good and also makes me wish they rerelease Gamer Prime with some of the improved retooling from the twopack.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
The sad thing about Raf's "connection" with Bumblebee isn't just that it went unexplained, but how inconsistent it was, too. Over in Prime's sister series Rescue Bots, Bee was similarly understood by Cody, and even later by Dani. Yet, Prime showed Jack unable to understand him when they hung out together for an episode, and Rescue Bots likewise showed the rest of the Burns family (especially Kade) unable to understand Bee's language either.
I'd have liked Raf's ability to understand Bumblebee better if it grew. Like he can't at first but as he and 'Bee go on more adventures together and bond he starts to understand the beeps.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'd have liked Raf's ability to understand Bumblebee better if it grew. Like he can't at first but as he and 'Bee go on more adventures together and bond he starts to understand the beeps.
And yet... that's exactly how it went for Cody and Dani. They both started off not understanding him, but the more time they spent with him, the better they came to understand his beeps.

Man, Rescue Bots really was written so much better than Prime.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I really dislike Prime for wasting Peter Cullen's last "peak" years as the voice of Optimus. The movies are whatever but Prime could have been the show to give him one final sendoff and instead they turned Optimus into a boring movie trailer line reader.
"Primes don't party," "Optimus never uses contractions."

First, he's not Data from Star Trek. Secondly G1 had Optimus playing basketball and cracking dad jokes at the word "boobies"

At least we got some of that in Rescue Bots. Kinda.

1721800741146.jpeg
1721800741146.jpeg1721800741146.jpegI didn't care for any of the Prime kids. For my money Armada had the best human kid characters. I revisited the show recently. They are, strangely for the rushjob Armada was, pretty decently written and feel like kids.

Knock-knock, Rescue Bots calling!

Rescue Bots was somehow the best thing to come out of Aligned.

Word.

Am I the only one that liked Kicker from TF:Energon?

He's alright. I like his girlfriend more.

I think I liked the Cybertron trio, too.

On the subject of Prime, I would still love to see BH Prime in Studio Series.

1721800605554.jpeg
1721800741146.jpeg
1721800825580.png

What can I say? Just something I like about the show version more.

Oh, and this:

1721800917799.gif

On an unrelated but on-topic note, do we know when SS86 Steeljaw is due out?

I was at GameStop earlier, and they were almost devoid of any TFs -- told me they were all basically sold to pre-orders as soon as they come in.

And it's like... okay, then. I didn't know we could pre-order them there, but I don't mind the assurance. So I try to pre-order Steeljaw...

And I can't.

I was, however, able to put in one for Legacy G1 Optimus, which they have slated for a January release.

Meanwhile, Steeljaw says October on their page.

So, I could pre-order the one coming out next year, but not the one coming out in two months.

Whatever. But I notice Amazon is similarly set up, though. Legacy OP? No problem. SS Steeljaw? Noooooope.

Glitch

Citizen
I gave that star saber to Galaxy Upgrade Optimus Prime initially and then to Nova Prime. What if there was a commander class Prime Optimus Prime with Beast Hunters armor that forms a trailer, not original but neat.

GodSentinelOmega

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That could be very interesting. Either that or a straight up Beast Hunters beef Prime at Commander class would be awesome. The show model BH Prime was definitely better. I do wish I’d been able to snag Takaras Nemesis redeco of him.

As to Steeljaw, on Hasbro Pulse uk over her, he’s set to release September 4th.

GodSentinelOmega

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That was the prevailing theory. Based on his build and transformation, it certainly wouldn’t much to reshell into Prime. Though after Bulkhead, Wrecker Bulkhead and Breakdown, it’s getting less and less likely.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The original rumor was that the Legacy Bulkhead mold was going to be reused for an Optimus toy, but it was unspecified as to which Optimus in particular it would be. Fans began to speculate that it would be Beast Hunters Optimus since his altmode seemed the closest of any Optimus to that of Bulkhead. But then we got to look at the Legacy Bulkhead toy and saw how un-Bulkhead-like it was from the neck down, and then no Optimus toy ever actually came out using that mold.

GodSentinelOmega

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Indeed.

Bulkhead Will remains the oddest of the Legacy figures. Since he comes across more as a hybrid of bits from Prime/Animated Bulkhead and live action Movie Hound. And yet As a figure, he‘s great.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
A lot of talk about Prime, but no mention of the best damn Starscream we've ever gotten in fiction? For shame.
Seriously, Prime Starscream grew from his sterotypic roots into a true character with dimension and personality. That his first edition toy was god tier was just a bonus.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
In that same interview where Jeff Kline talked about wanting to make TF: Prime like the The Sopranos, he also revealed that before Beast Hunters because the rebranded third season of the show, there was a status quo change at Hasbro in which a new team at Hasbro originally wanted Kline and his team to end TF: Prime where it was and make Beast Hunters an all-new unrelated show, with the Predacon toys and the new Beast Hunters Optimus toy both originally designed for this new series instead of being for the third season of Prime that they ultimately became. Kline had to convince the new guys at Hasbro to let them finish Prime with one more season, on the condition that the show would rebrand as "Prime Beast Hunters" and incorporate both the new Optimus toy design and the Predacons into the show. So when he went back to his team and told them, "We need to add a dragon to the show," the reaction he got from everyone else was "HUH?!!"

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Wasn't Hasbro supposed to be the one pushing Aligned stuff? Seems weird to me that they'd be "Start over fresh" during the middle of the Prime years but also greenlight Robots in Disguise as a sequel series.
That's why I mentioned the "status quo change" with a "new team at Hasbro". The department at Hasbro that was primarily pushing the Aligned media was HasLab (not to be confused with the other "HasLab" that currently does the crowdfunded campaigns), which ended up dissolving as a department around that same time. Apparently, the new team in charge of the toy department didn't care about the old team's Aligned vision and just wanted to make and sell toys.

Top Bottom