Studio Series discussion

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
honestly these days i often wonder what even is the point in MPs anymore because chances are a mainline figure will do the same shit for much cheaper and with less chance of breakage
Back when the line first began, my original thought about its purpose was, "Alright! Toys of G1 characters in scale with the Beast Wars toys!"

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Completely random question here. While going through all my TFTM stuff, I'm reminded that I have the Generations Selects Galvatron and Cyclonus with their G1-toy-based decos and stickers. I had been hoping there would be a matching Scourge eventually, but apparently that isn't happening.

I know one of the TF team had indicated that the SS86 Sweep was intended to be closer to Scourge's G1 toy deco. Did anyone ever make a matching toy-based sticker set to go with him? I checked out Toyhax, but while they have a Scourge set that would put stickers in all the right places, they really don't evoke the original stickers at all. I do see a waterslide decal set available from AliExpress that would probably be decent, but I've never had good luck with such decals. Any other options?

Dake

Citizen
Of course on the other hand, sometimes knowing how others did something can allow you to see how it can be streamlined.

Yeah - it's not unusual for the advances to be made in the more expensive products before trickling down to the regular stuff. It's like how Mercedes was known for introducing really high tech stuff first, but eventually you could find it in a Hyundai.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
At this point MPs are if you want 110% show accuracy(See the BW MPs), or things that are a ways away from happening, if ever(MP Ginrai vs a future HasLab, the Trainbots)

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Of course on the other hand, sometimes knowing how others did something can allow you to see how it can be streamlined.
I wonder if how much of that excess in MP is really a first crack at trying to solve a problem or designers just being very indulgent?
I'm a Brave fan. And I own the only two Brave MPs Takara put out. I adore them but they are also far more complicated than they need to be in order to sell the idea of an "adult" collectable.

I'm not super into the 3P faux-MP scene but I've seen enough reviews and comments from it that engineering solutions that lack a sufficient level of complexity are considered "cheap" and not up to the "standards" or an "adult collectible." Even if what's presented does the job.

So factor in a design mentality that says "adult collectables" need to be at a certain level of complexity that certainly exists at TT, plus the budget to indulge, plus fan expectations that a "premium" product needs to be a certain "level" of complexity... and I think it explains a lot the issues with present day MPs rather well.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
A lot of designers need to be feeling embarrassed by how simple that leg transformation is. They've been acting like it takes some unknowable dark magic to hide the leg wheels. This toy is so beautifully simple.
They remind me of that "Orion" toy, which was a 3P version of IDW's "racing lorry" Prime. I think the legs did a similar thing with the wheels?

Dake

Citizen
All I know is they waited way too long to make Rhinox and now I've put all my BW MPs away because the regular line has done it so well (though Rhinox is the one I still don't think they've gotten quite right).

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Posting this here since it covers Studio Series more than all else.

Here is a recording of the Hasbro Transformers panel from SDCC 2024:

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Hm. The downside of these new shoulders and hands on Springer is that it means it mucked up the precision of how things fit together for his vehicle mode, so the top flap of the big chunk of wheel assembly doesn't really like to fit together well. It just kinda hovers with the peg resting against the bottom of Springer's hand. Not enough to be super noticeable from a casual glance or cause stability issues, but still annoying given how solid that was on the original.

On the other hand, the torso retools have made transforming him out of either vehicle mode so much more nice. No more finding the hidden way to leverage things to make everything come apart.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Can't believe Studio Series has missed so major a character for so long:

868D9ADE-FA32-4B9E-9908-1186060A4411.jpeg
850582F7-6CDE-4F1F-95CD-53FB65222763.jpeg

Thankfully they have apparently at last come through.

-ZacWilliam, almost kinda want this and I don't buy Movie toys.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Lots of possibilities there, and the price is right...

I always said, back when the movie lines were 50% Camaro Bumblebee by volume, if Hasbro had to fill the lines with Bumblebees due to retailer demand, at least make them interesting:
"Street Prowl" Bumblebee in a police deco
"Silver Streak" Bumblebee in blue (or silver)
"Road Rally" Bumblebee in red, blue, and white.
Would have at least broken up the swarms of yellow, and those of us in the know could repurpose the figures as we saw fit...

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just want more offscreen character redecos. But sure, if we have to go the mission redeco route... but give us something more interesting than literally "here's the same thing but in gray", which those NEST redecos no one asked for were.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Got the SDCC Orion and Megatron 2 pack with the remold of Studio Series. This absolutely perfects the mold. All the issues I had with the original studio series release have been addressed and fixed. It is just amazing and I'm super happy with it.
Oh yeah, and Megatron is okay.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm tempted by it but I get distracted by how long the arms are on Prime. Standing at rest he looks great, but when they're bent in an action pose it's hard to unsee the remaining WFC game aesthetic.

But the real dealbreaker is the fact that it's a set with Megatron, who's even less appealing now that I've gotten the Miner Megatron (I wish I had a Terminus head to put on one of them).

It's a shame as I really dig the IDW Orion/Cybertronian Optimus look and this toy generally gets it down.

I wish they'd eventually get around to making a War Within Op and Megs again.

Top Bottom