NOT a New Member.
Citizen
SS TF One Optimus.
61sPvJh7gxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61JPyrl1qgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61yxqg3FAQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

614NtdTPL6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61iZTezLrEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(Source: - https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0D5PVVQJK/ )

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
That is some ugly grey plastic.

He looks like he's made of used coffee filters.
Hasbro DID explicitly state that the color was the Pantone provided BY THE STUDIO. I recall from the stream, it was pretty obvious the Transformers guys knew it looked bad, and subtlety called out the studio for the end result.

I’m almost inclined to think it’s the result of someone giving Hasbro the color reference of a “full lighted scene”, rather than the “base model” coloring. There is a LOT of “low sun” coloring from the trailer, and I could see someone sending the reference from one of those scenes rather than what the actual model looked like.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's probably exactly what happened.

This is why empowerment was supposed to be a thing. Someone along the chain should have been able to look at the colors and say "Hold up. This cannot be right."

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Or this is just the 'before' picture and the movie is about Optimus's attempts to kick his smoking habit, ending with his triumphant conquering of the nicotine addiction, upon which his color changes to bright white!

Then he spends the next few years undergoing further treatments to keep the yellowing way, like what probably happened after this thing I made may years ago before we had many of the right bots to work with...

37790896766_e3387f1bd0_o.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, the 'Da Plane!' guy from Fantasy Island as Grimlock.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hasbro DID explicitly state that the color was the Pantone provided BY THE STUDIO. I recall from the stream, it was pretty obvious the Transformers guys knew it looked bad, and subtlety called out the studio for the end result.

I’m almost inclined to think it’s the result of someone giving Hasbro the color reference of a “full lighted scene”, rather than the “base model” coloring. There is a LOT of “low sun” coloring from the trailer, and I could see someone sending the reference from one of those scenes rather than what the actual model looked like.
This might be the first time in Transformers history that someone making the toys at Hasbro saw something they didn't like and didn't say "screw accuracy!"

Badgertron

Citizen
Almost every G1 PMOP I've ever seen has been yellowed, and the studio lighting of that product photography doesn't show how tinted the gray on the TR one really is (not as bad as a G1 version but still noticeable. It actually endeared me to the mold more!). So yeah, maybe the One figure is step beyond that, but not leagues beyond. The blue is a bit darker though, sure, but again the photo you used makes the G1 blue seem brighter than it actually is in hand.

Attachments

• 2258.jpg
    2258.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 42

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Almost every G1 PMOP I've ever seen has been yellowed, and the studio lighting of that product photography doesn't show how tinted the gray on the TR one really is (not as bad as a G1 version but still noticeable. It actually endeared me to the mold more!). So yeah, maybe the One figure is step beyond that, but not leagues beyond. The blue is a bit darker though, sure, but again the photo you used makes the G1 blue seem brighter than it actually is in hand.
Yes, it was hard to find relevant photos with correct lighting, especially when I was doing it on a packed train to Tokyo today! ;)

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I bet Perceptor will likely end up selling cheep on Ebay or something, unless he has a posh paint deco to make people want to keep him and get rid of the first SS verison
The SS version was one of the Walmart Black Friday 2-packs that hung around forever in some parts of the US. Can't get much cheeper than they are already selling on ebay...

Top Bottom