Takara Missing Link G1 Series

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I haven't seen anyone photoshop the Missing Link Prime toy into any of the Sentinel Prime color schemes yet (Animated, G1 Toon, TF1) and I really really want to.

-ZacWilliam, years ago I would have done it myself by now but I don't really have easy access to that sort of program right now.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
From TakaraTomy's Transformers 40th Anniversary Exhibition website and PR Times:

Missing Link C-01S Sentinel Prime

CGqv0UK.jpeg

eOJ5Y7w.jpeg

センチネルプライムはサイバトロン先代総司令官で、トレーラートラックからロボットに変形します。

ビークル本体の黄色のカラーリングは、アニメ「戦え!超ロボット生命体トランスフォーマ―」の第1話でメインコンピューターのテレトラン1がコンボイのためにスキャニングしたトレーラートラックがモチーフとなっています。

コンテナ部分は移動基地に変形し、センチネルプライムと組み合わせて遊ぶことができます。

そのほか豊富な武器やパーツが付属します。

商品名:ミッシングリンク C-01S センチネルプライム

発売日:2024年9月13日(金)

希望小売価格:18,000円(税込)

対象年齢:15歳以上

商品サイズ:約W75×H105×D313mm

著作権表記: © TOMY
Sentinel Prime is the former commander of the Cybertrons, and transforms from a trailer truck into a robot.

The yellow coloring of the vehicle body is based on the trailer truck scanned by the main computer Teletraan I for Convoy in the first episode of the anime "Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers."

The container part transforms into a mobile base and can be played with in combination with Sentinel Prime.

A wide variety of weapons and parts are included.

Product name: Missing Link C-01S Sentinel Prime

Release date: Friday, September 13, 2024

Suggested retail price: 18,000 yen (tax included)

Target age: 15 years old and over

Product size: Approx. W75 x H105 x D313mm

Copyright: © TOMY

This item is being sold exclusively at the Transformers Expo 2024 exhibition event in Tokyo, Japan.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
One other thing to note is that while the description says the yellow coloring was based on the truck scanned by Teletraan I in the first episode, the truck only appears yellow in the Japanese DVDs, which used video masters from the LaserDisc release that had washed out colors.

ca5X67d.jpeg

(Sidenote: These washed out masters are why several Takara Galvatron toys have colored him in light pastel purple instead of dark purple.)

In the US DVD releases, the truck appears properly more orange.

HcHW7A3.jpeg

j8jTtGr.jpeg

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Thought I might want Sentinel but in practice it reads too much as washed out Prime to me.

-ZacWilliam, maybe if the orange had been brighter...

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
One other thing to note is that while the description says the yellow coloring was based on the truck scanned by Teletraan I in the first episode, the truck only appears yellow in the Japanese DVDs, which used video masters from the LaserDisc release that had washed out colors.

ca5X67d.jpeg

(Sidenote: These washed out masters are why several Takara Galvatron toys have colored him in light pastel purple instead of dark purple.)

In the US DVD releases, the truck appears properly more orange.

HcHW7A3.jpeg

j8jTtGr.jpeg

1721977958627.png

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
It's times like this that I appreciate how Hasbro looks at TFWiki instead of doing this nonsense.
I was gonna ask. Is slavish devotion to washed out masters and bad DVD scans TT's version of Hasbro just using TFWiki?

Anyway as someone who has made Sentinel Prime his "obscure guy who's MAH BOY" character this whole thing has me feeling so many ways.

"We'll just make him an Optimus repaint!"
is this how Ultra Magnus fans have felt all these years?

"He'll be based off of the truck Optimus scanned from the show!"
Well ok that's kind of a clever 2 for 1 referen...

"HE'S YELLOW!"

😐

But also... on another level... it's such a clusterfudge of ideas that I can't help but adore it.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's exactly the sort of weird turbo nerd minutiae based stuff I'd love to own. But given its release mechanics, that would be prohibitive, so I'll have to enjoy this from afar.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
What's funny is that I personally have always felt that yellow would be a suitable color for Sentinel Prime since the very first version that was named "Sentinel Prime" had a primarily yellow torso:

Sentinel_prime_lou.jpg

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
What's funny is that I personally have always felt that yellow would be a suitable color for Sentinel Prime since the very first version that was named "Sentinel Prime" had a primarily yellow torso:

Sentinel_prime_lou.jpg
More orangey-red highlights instead of blue would have helped.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The mouthplate being red also seems to be based on that of IDW1 Sentinel's armored form.

MegatronOrigin1_Sentinel_face.jpg

Also, I actually brought up this color discrepancy on the wiki, and asked if it would be a good addition to this page. Most agreed that it (and the many lavender Galvatrons from Takara) should.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
The mouthplate being red also seems to be based on that of IDW1 Sentinel's armored form.

MegatronOrigin1_Sentinel_face.jpg

Also, I actually brought up this color discrepancy on the wiki, and asked if it would be a good addition to this page. Most agreed that it (and the many lavender Galvatrons from Takara) should.
There's also the first instance of IDW Sentinel, in the lineage of Primes scene shown in Spotlight: Optimus. He's far more yellow than orange.

So the yellow body/red facemask in and of itself isn't wrong for the character.

I think the misstep here is simply that orange would have also been on-point for the character (IDW1 and IDW2 Sentinel is orange for most appearances) and orange also gets you that "this is the truck that gets scanned for Optimus" look.
Most people who remember that scene, I would guess, remember the truck as being orange.

Funnily enough had they just released this thing with its colouration exactly as it is and not mentioned that truck scanning scene then I think the fact that's yellow and not orange wouldn't be such a big deal

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I think the biggest surprise about these colors is that the original leak from JTPrime said it was gonna be in the colors of the U-Haul Robot.

my2pcegjkm7.jpg

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
I think the biggest surprise about these colors is that the original leak from JTPrime said it was gonna be in the colors of the U-Haul Robot.

my2pcegjkm7.jpg
They may have seen "G1 Sentinel Prime" and assumed Sunbow Sentinel aka U-Haul Robot, but as we've discussed "G1 Sentinel Prime" can be anything from lilac blue and orange to yellow and red to orange, red, and yellow.

They probably opted for the one that gave them the truck scanning reference, or at least the one that they thought did that :p

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I believe there is some convention or show going on in Japan, and some of the first reveals have been two new Missing Link projects:
Sunstreaker and Arcee (based on the original prototype). I believe the 86 crew is there to show how a ML Arcee could "fit in" with the original toys.

Still got my little candle over here for Transtech...one day...maybe...

Top Bottom