The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Serves them right for trying to claim exclusive rights to the concept of a D-pad for 25 years, frankly.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I mean they did have a patent and it's not like they sued people over it.

(Besides I don't want to live in a world where said patent didn't exist and everyone just used the cross d-pad because they would mean that we'd never get the Mega Drive six button controller d-pad, which is probably one of the best damn d-pads ever made lol)

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
The Playstation D-Pad is also a direct result of Nintendo's patent. Sony had to figure out how to get around it, so they basically just inverted the mechanics.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
And now Nintendo has the worst Dpad, Xbox has the best, and everyone has analog triggers except Nintendo.

I think. I can't tell anymore.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
(How did the Dreamcast get away with having a cross-shaped d-pad though? Probably something like 'they weren't copying the actual mechanics Nintendo used in their patent')

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
(How did the Dreamcast get away with having a cross-shaped d-pad though? Probably something like 'they weren't copying the actual mechanics Nintendo used in their patent')
They moved the fulcrum of the dpad to the rubber dome instead of the Nintendo way have having it on the plastic part of the dpad. It's the reason the Dreamcast dpad wasn't quite as 'precise' as the Nintendo one. I believe it's also how some of the earlier XBox dpads worked pre-patent expiration.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Is that why it's so bad then?

(I've never used a Dreamcast controller, I'm only basing this on the numerous things I've read online of people saying the Dreamcast d-pad is one of the worst ones put out by a major console manufacturer lol - maybe all these people are just a loud minority and it's actually beloved)

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The mystery of Emio has been solved...

I guess that Famicom Detective Club remake must have done well enough to warrant a new game in the series.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Is that why it's so bad then?

(I've never used a Dreamcast controller, I'm only basing this on the numerous things I've read online of people saying the Dreamcast d-pad is one of the worst ones put out by a major console manufacturer lol - maybe all these people are just a loud minority and it's actually beloved)
The DC’s d-pad was perfectly serviceable, but it was on the small side (a complaint that I would apply to the entire controller, in general). Because it was small with more “pointed” plastic molding, it made the controller uncomfortable for fighting games. And of all genres, the machine definitely became a “fighting fan’s machine”, between the stuff from Sega, Capcom, SNK and Namco.

FWIW, I’ve always been a fan of the Xbox Controller S (the Duke’s replacement). The two closest, for me, have been the Switch pro controller and the PS5.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Having not really needed its Dpad, to this day I still love the way the Dreamcast controller feels in my hand.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
FWIW, I’ve always been a fan of the Xbox Controller S (the Duke’s replacement). The two closest, for me, have been the Switch pro controller and the PS5.
You are honestly the first person I've seen who likes the Switch Pro Controller lol.

I dunno what happened with Nintendo this generation when it comes to d-pads, they used to be ace when it came to d-pads (well minus the GameCube d-pad which sucked ass) but now it's like...the Switch by default doesn't even have a damn d-pad and I constantly see people rate the Pro Controller one as being the worst one of this generation.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Probably doesn't help that getting a proper D-pad for a system that does not come with one is one of the few reasons people are buying pro controllers in the first place, so of course they're going to be picky about it.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Probably doesn't help that getting a proper D-pad for a system that does not come with one is one of the few reasons people are buying pro controllers in the first place, so of course they're going to be picky about it.
Yeah, I’ve had to tolerate some garbage controllers in my time, so the Switch Pro is completely fine to me. I’d even argue I like it better than the base Xbox Series controller (I ABHORE that clicky dpad!), though I think the PS5 controller is better still.

Hey. Let’s talk about some games and a really good port for the old Switch, eh?
Digital Foundry did a big tech breakdown on the Switch port of Ace Combat 7. Like Alien Isolation or Grid Autosport, it’s an older title that has gotten ported a little later, but is a damn impressive showing on the platform. Biggest issue to my eye was the pop in on ground foliage And the lower resolution. Aside from those elements? Damn impressive, and targeting 30 FPS makes the game as smooth as the more uneven FPS seen on the last gen version (as seen in the video, AC7 was played on an Xbox Series S, which typically defaults to base performance for prior gen releases).

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I didn't mind the Pro Controller D-pad too terribly much at first, but there was some game that got me to just start swapping in my 8BitDo for D-pad-centric games, but I forget exactly what it was. Maybe Ninja Saviors? Outside of that, love it as a controller, minus the labeling for the triggers and bumpers. I'll never learn to keep that straight.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Switch Pro is great... except for the Dpad. I can play Animal Crossing pretty well on it, for example.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
i love using my retro-bit eight button sega genesis controller (it's eight buttons because it has additional L+R buttons, got it so i could also use it for sega saturn emulation too) to play genesis games on the switch

EXCEPT IT OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T HAVE A HOME BUTTON ON IT so i guess i am stuck playing sonic 2 forever now

Blot

Citizen
Switch Pro would be fine... but it has to follow up the Wii U Pro, and that thing is just an unrivaled masterpiece.

Top Bottom