The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Shadewing

Citizen
I suppose that's a good reason for A Yakuza game, but I'm surprised they ported Kiwami, instead of one of the more recent titles.

You're surprised they are porting the game the series is based on, since it seems to be covering the evenys of the first Yakuza game? 7 and 8 both have different characters, and any other game is a sequel in a very lore heavy series. Kiwami is the only game that makes sense, its basically allowing you to play the TV series you just watched.

spikeriley

Citizen
Tatsunoko vs Capcom may appear sometime.

I doubt that will happen, considering how much of a nightmare the Tatsunoko properties were due to the anime company actually licensing their shows to different companies outside of Japan (which is why when it did come to the U.S., it had to remove a character that was in the Japanese original and add another Tatsunoko character alongside two other Tatsunoko characters and two Capcom characters).

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Maybe or maybe not. I would think the Tatsunoko side of things would welcome the money, if only because they aren't making a ton of money off most of those characters, anymore. It feels like with each passing year, most of them become more and more obscure.

Then again, there might be a new wrinkle to all of that. There's a new Gatchaman comic that just started releasing this year.

I'm not sure if that helps or hurts the chances of Tatsunoko vs Capcom getting a re-release. I would think Mad Cave would welcome the free advertising it would bring. But, the contract with them might conflict with any potential contract with Capcom? Or not, since it's a different medium? I don't know for sure.

But, supposedly, the licensing issues for most of the characters got worked out during the initial creation of the original game. I imagine it's easier to negotiate the re-release of a game that's already made, rather than trying to make a new one from scratch.

And, hey, if this team can make the Marvel vs Capcom and SNK vs Capcom collections happen, I wouldn't underestimate them being able to bring back Tatsunoko vs Capcom, too.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
And, hey, if this team can make the Marvel vs Capcom and SNK vs Capcom collections happen, I wouldn't underestimate them being able to bring back Tatsunoko vs Capcom, too.
This.

This is why I'm optimistic.

Plus Project Justice and Power Stone being here.

It's like... this was supposed to be nigh-impossible. These were all mere dreams, fantasies. For one reason or another, they were not supposed to be able to happen.

But they are.

Tech Romancer, Saturday Night Slammasters (and its sequel), Star Gladiator, Rival Schools, the Mega Man fighters, and probably the Street Fighter EX titles.
I mean, not that they're adverse to repeating themselves, but Slam Masters and the Mega Man games are already in Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Saw a YouTube ad for that Epic Mickey remake. I'm amazed that it's getting a remake after this long, because that was a game that desperately needed a port to literally any platform with a second stick at their earliest convenience. Even the WiiU.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I forgot to mention that that Best Buy is running its Buy 2, Get 1 free deal for Switch games for Members. The sale applies to all in stock AND preorders. I got Mario and Luigi, the Marvel Fighting Collection and got Mario Maker 2 for Free (actually, due to THAT game having an additional discount, I actually got PAID $3 for Mario Maker!)

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I loved Gris, so I'm definitely interested in Neva.
I am SO getting Date Everything. The preview alone made me laugh so hard.
Might be interested in Rune Factory if they have gay marriage as an option.

Deathy G1

Citizen
I ended up with a $75 brand new Switch Lite (coworker bought it for his kid for Christmas 2022 but hid it too well and had to buy another to give him) so I decided to get a bunch of pick up and play games for it.

Since I’m a temporary single parent of two kids (through the end of the year) with a full time job and college courses, I don’t really have time to dedicate to my PS5 (and honestly never used it for much outside of fighting games). A cheap Switch Lite was an offer I couldn’t refuse.

I grabbed Mario 3D World, Mario Wonder and Mario vs DK. I had 3D World back on the Wii U and it along with 3D Land are the only 3D Marios I actually like. Mario vs DK I had for the GBA and I’m really enjoying the remake. I haven’t played Wonder yet, but it looks good (and more creative than New Super Mario U, which I had on the Wii U and thought about getting again). I also grabbed the Thousand Year Door and RPG remakes based on love for the originals.

As a bonus, my old digital purchases from 2019 Mario + Rabbids and the Megaman Legacy and X Legacy collections are once again available to me.

Any more recommendations for quick play or light turn-based RPGs suitable for portable only play? I’ve got Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom on preorder, so I’m not going to bother with the Link’s Awakening remake (besides, I’ve got enough ports and remakes anyway), and I hate 3D Zeldas so that rules out Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
Well, Zelda is a lot of what I play, so if you're ruling out BotW and TotK...

You seem to be covered on Mario games, though don't forget Odyssey. Metriod Dread is good. But be warned it's also very hard. Konami has some really good collections for Contra and Castlevania. Capcom has some fighting game collections also worth checking out.

Also, if only for a couple months, you could subscribe to Nintendo's online service. It comes with a great library of NES, SNES and more. But again, it's a subscription service.

There's also Smash Bros and Splatoon 3 to help round out the collection.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I think my list from over here is still pretty solid:

But, hitting some highlights for what you might enjoy the most....

Pick up and play games:

Super Mario Odyssey-It's a no brainer, but I get the feeling you might be avoiding 3D games on your Switch Lite. Personally, I don't think there's any need to, I think this would look fine portable-only.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land-Probably the most ambitious Kirby game we've gotten in a while. It is 3D though, so if you think you'd prefer 2D on a portable screen, maybe try Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe instead. Personally, I think Forgotten Land would be fine portable.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge: Dimension Shellshock-There is a physical version with the DLC on the cartridge. There's also the TMNT Cowabaunga Collection which collects most of the 2D TMNT games for the NES, Gameboy, SNES, and Arcades.

Shovel Knight Treasure Trove-You've probably already played this, but it's still a solid platformer with all the DLC and alternate characters included.

Rayman Legends-Again, you might have already played this. But, it's a really solid platformer if you've never checked it out.

Sonic Mania Plus-One of the best Sonic games in years. There's also the Sonic Origins Collection which gives you the 3 Genesis games and CD, along with a few Game Gear games.

Yoshi's Crafted World-It's easy, but fun.

Shantae and the Seven Sirens-The entire Shantae series is actually worth checking out. But, this is the newest one. I also highly recommend Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but that might be easier to get digital.

Pikmin 4-Probably the best Pikmin game on the Switch. And ALL of them are on Switch. Again, it's 3D, but I think it'll work handheld-only.

Luigi's Mansion 3-It's getting close to spooky season. I think you'd enjoy this game.

Disney's Illusion Island-A easier game. But, it's fun if you're a big Disney fan for all the easter eggs.

Light RPGs:

Pokemon Legends Arceus-This still gets my vote for the best Pokemon game on the Switch. And it tries something a little different with it's catching mechanics.

Live A Live-This is probably testing the limits of what a "light RPG" is defined as. It is a remake of a SNES game that never originally made it west. And the story is broken up into sections, so it would be fine to play in "chapters".

Cat Quest 1 and 2 Pawsome Pack-There's a collection of the first two Zelda-like games. And there's also a third one, which might be the best one. Take your pick.

Nexomon 1 and 2-If you don't want to try Legends Arceus, this indie game plays a little more like the older GBA or DS entries in the Pokemon series. There's a collection with both games in one.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth 1 and 2-They're probably the best Digimon games. Again, if you want something Pokemon-like.

Cadence of Hyrule-This is kind of a different rhythm/action game with the Zelda cast. It's good. Plus, there's a mode that lets you turn the game into something more turn-based if you're not good at rhythm games.

Advance Wars 1 and 2 Re-Boot Camp-If you have any nostalgia for these strategy RPGs, they might be worth revisiting.

Wargroove 1 or 2-If you want Advance Wars but something new, this plays VERY similarly.

Eastward-A charming RPG with a beautiful art style.

Since you said you like fighting games:

Super Smash Bros Ultimate-Yeah, this is a no brainer. I think you'll have a good time with this.

Capcom Fighting Collection-You get ALL the Darkstalkers games, along with a few hidden gems.

Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection-The digital version is already out. But, you'll have to wait until November for the physical version.

Digitial only games:

Blossom Tales 1 or 2-If you want some more 2D Zelda, these get pretty close.

Cross Code-Another solid Zelda-like game with a great story.

What The Golf-A crazy, funny golf game that plays more like a puzzle game.

Donut County-A light, funny puzzle game where you control a hole. It's more fun thatn it might sound.

Penny's Big Breakaway-A fun Sonic-like 3D platformer.

Freedom Planet 1 or 2-Solid Sonic-like 2D platformers.

Klonoa Fantasy Reverie Collection-You get the first two Klonoa platformers, which are very charming 2.5D games.

Famicom Detective Club 1 or 2-We're getting a third entry in this series of mystery visual novel games. So, maybe you want to try out the series?

Arzette the Jewel of Faramore-If you've ever heard of the Zelda CD-I games and wanted to try them out, play this instead.

Sam and Max 1-3-All the 3D point and click comedy classics are now on Switch. They're a fun time.

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World The Game-A really solid beat-em-up.

River City Girls 1 or 2-Another solid beat-em-up series.

Bug Fables-If you want a game that plays like classic Paper Mario RPGs, but with a new cast, this is the game for you.

Born of Bread-Another Paper Mario like RPG.

Last edited:

Deathy G1

Citizen
I see a few of you recommending Odyssey. If I absolutely hated 64, Sunshine and the 2 Galaxy games, is there anything in the structure of Odyssey that’s different? I like the linear paths of 3D World (and Land) and how you don’t keep replaying the same level with different goals.

Is Odyssey like that? I skipped it last time I owned a Switch because it appeared to be structured like 64.

Edit: Just to clarify, I grew up in the 80s and early 90s, with the NES and SNES. I never really adapted to anything new outside of fighting games, and even those haven’t really changed much since their roots in the 90s.

Last edited:

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
(coworker bought it for his kid for Christmas 2022 but hid it too well and had to buy another to give him)
Ha ha, there but for the grace of God go I. Now where did I leave my everything?

Also, random thought I had today: How long do you think Nintendo spent agonizing over whether or not to name it the "Swiitch" before they settled on no? And do you think "It can't actually play any Wii games" was the deciding factor?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Super Mario Odyssey is slightly different from other 3D Marios, but it's definitely using the same template. The biggest difference is that the worlds are now structured to be more "open world", so it doesn't bump you out of the level everytime you get a collectable. You can get multiple collectables all in the same run. But, if you didn't enjoy the other 3D Marios, I don't think you'll enjoy this one. It's still largely similar to those other 3D Mario games.

Instead, maybe something like "Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze" or "Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair" (specifically Impossible Lair and not the original "Yooka-Laylee", which is a 3D collectathon) would be more up your alley? Those are both harder platformers, which is why I hesitated to recommend them at first. But, it might actually give you a bit of nostalgic challenge.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If you like RPGs, then you need to pick up some of the Dragon Quest games.

DQ Monsters: The Dark Prince: Think Pokemon but with the Dragon Quest/Warrior monsters.
DQ 11 S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition. This version has some improvements over the initial PS4 release. The soundtrack being a big one.
DQ Treasures: I haven't tried this one yet myself.
DQ Builders 1: Imagine the fate of the world where the hero of the first Dragon Warrior game accepts the Dragonlord's offer to rule the world together. This is what happens and you have to build this ruined world back and finally defeat the Dragonlord. It plays like an improved version of Minecraft but much prettier.
DQ Builders 2: In an alternate reality where the evil ruler never fell, you and your friends must build the world again this time with more advanced rooms and areas.

Also, Metroid Prime 1 remake might be a fun FPS game for you to pick up. And, the Mariokart game is a blast and has a lot of tracks. Also, I would recommend giving Breath of the wild a chance. See if there is a demo for it, and give it a shot. There is a reason that the game is #1 on a lot of people's Switch list and even Nintendo overall lists.

Top Bottom