The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Partner Showcase!

Ender Magnolia will probably be a good game. I hear good things about Ender Lilies.

Unicorn Overlord continues to look good. Probably going to pick that one up.

Oh, the original Monster Hunter Stories for the 3DS is getting a port. Wasn't expecting that. If you never played it, it's a solid game.

Epic Mickey Rebrushed! This is probably the biggest reveal of this direct. Glad to see it coming back. Although, I do wish they just included the second game with it at this point. I know people didn't like the second one as much, but they might as well include it here.

Shin Megami Tensei V Vengence. Apparently, this is NOT a new game like SMT 4 Apocalypse. It's a upgraded version of V, with a new story route. So...hmm...a little scummy that they aren't offering just a upgrade to the base game, since this is basically just DLC. But, if you never picked up the original version, this is probably the version to get.

It's so weird seeing a South Park game advertised in a Nintendo Direct.

Oooh, Gundam Breaker 4! I'm not sure if this is going to be good or not. I know people didn't like the last one. But, I'm always for mech games!

World of Goo 2. I know some people who will love this.

A new Fantasy Life game. Neat.

Another Crab's Treasure actually looks a LOT more interesting and well made than I feel like it should. It feels like a meme game, but with a actual budget. Worth keeping a eye on, at least.

Penny's Big Breakaway's gotten some hype lately, being created by the Sonic Mania team. And it's out NOW, so maybe try it out!

Pepper Grinder looks like it could be fun.

A Moomin game? Okay.

Tales of Kenzera ZAU might be worth looking more into. It looks like there might be a mythology influence on the game, I do like that. Never heard of it before, though.

And more Rare games are coming to Nintendo Switch Online. Funny they don't just port the Rare Replay Collection, honestly, but whatever, I guess. I guess Battletoads is the one that I care about the most in this bundle.

And the big final game reveal is....Endless Ocean Luminous? Okay, I know they were moderate successes on the Wii, but I don't think that's the draw they think it is.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
I'll probably get the Endless Ocean one. I'm not sure how it will work without motion controls, but I did enjoy the Wii games.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Another Crab's Treasure had a demo in Steam Next Fest or something last year; IronPineapple covered it in one of his "Souls-likes you've never heard of" videos if you want to see more gameplay.

Oddly enough it's described on the store page as the developer's second game even though clicking their name lists two other games. I guess they decided Subway Midnight doesn't count as a real game?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Happy Mario Day, everyone!

Yeah, there's not a lot happening for this video.

The Illumination Movie's getting a sequel...in 2026. No teases for what they're actually going to do with it.

And we get release dates for Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD.

And a few more Mario Gameboy games are going to be added to Nintendo Online.

So...a pretty low-key presentation, really.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
New Direct dropped today. A REALLY strong showing, all considered. That said, you can see where the Switch market (or at least what Nintendo feels the market is) oriented around with a LOT of RPGs and "life sim" titles. I'm not going to cover the entire presentation, but I do have thoughts on some particular entries.
For the full presentation:

Mario+Luigi: Brothership (HA! Boat pun!). I'm ALWAYS up for another entry in this series. It's also quite refreshing to get a NEW Mario RPG title after the past year or so and all the remakes. I want to say the last major Mario RPG title that wasn't a remake was Origami King back in 2020. Fawful better be making a return! Feels like this will be the major anchor for the Switch's last sole holiday season.

Nintendo World Championship- It's an update/refresh to the old NES Remix games. I think there is some fun here, and the inclusion of the pseudo battle royal competition elements should keep the game fresher a bit longer. I appreciate the name change, I think it is more reflective of the type of game this collection is compared to the NES Remix naming. Physical version is DAMN impressive.

DKC Returns HD- This feels like a "schedule filler", particularly with the January release date. I don't know, I like the inclusion of the 3DS content and it's a solid game that is apt to reach a solid audience compared to prior releases...but it feels like this is a quicky port to fill out an emptying release slate as Nintendo starts to gear up for the Switch successor. It will probably feel a bit better of a release if Nintendo budget prices this like they did Metroid Prime Remastered (which, on the surface, looked to have a LOT more put into it).

Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom- The initial seconds didn't do much, until it was revealed Zelda as the protagonist. Like the shift in protagonist and I like the puzzle oriented gameplay being shown. It's clearly using the same engine as Link's Awakening, but that probably sped up development. Like DKC, this one DOES come across as a lower-tier title cranked out to fill out a schedule that was likely planned (at one point) to be dominated by the Switch successor console.

Super Mario Party Jamboree- SMP isn't my jam, but looks like a solid entry.

Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection- Oh sweet lordy Capcom, take me for a RIDE! I was starting to lose hope something like this would come out. Having all seven Capcom Marvel titles in one collection is a dream. And I think it's the first time since the mid-90s that Punisher and X-Men have been available on a home console (not counting the Arcade 1 Up stuff). I think there is an argument this was among the bigger announcements, given the long standing issues with Marvel game rights. The VS games alone would have made this a buy, but getting X-Men and Punisher just made it top tier.

Switch Online- Metroid Fusion is an example of a damn near perfect "upgrade-remake" of an older title, I'm thrilled to see it made available. The online functionality should REALLY allow Four Swords to shine. The N64 Mature titles are really interesting, though. Turok is surprising given the Remaster is already available (and is an improvement in almost all respects to the original game), but even the video seems to show some graphical and frame rate clean up. But don't hold me to that, it's been a hot decade or two since I played Turok on original N64 hardware.
Perfect Dark is a surprise, albeit a nice one. Microsoft is pushing the new title for Xbox, so this works well as a promotional effort for that. But, like Turok, the game looks graphically cleaned up with a better frame rate. It really wouldn't surprise me if the 2010 remastered version wasn't modified for use on the Switch Online service, assuming I just remember the game being worse than it really was.

Loony Tunes Wacky Sports- I really wanted to get excited for this. One of the reasons I loved Cruisin' Blast was its throwback nature to old school arcade racing, and, on paper, this might have worked well to bring that kind of gameplay back. NBA Jam with power ups? Yes, please. My family has fond memories of the old Loony Tunes Basketball on SNES, but I'm not sure this will live up to that. The "Gamemill Publishing" logo is the first red flag, and the trailer didn't do the game many favors with mushy graphics. But those compressed sound bytes were PAINFUL. Cartridge or not, there is NO reason for that sort of garbage sound quality, ESPECIALLY in your introduction trailer.

Farmagia- This caught my eye. Nice presentation, but the gameplay mix is kind of interesting with Farm elements mixed with Pokemon battles and maybe some Pikmin-esque crowd control. I'll wait and see reviews, and certainly not a full price purchase, but I might keep an eye on this.

Funko Fusion- I kind of glazed over this (like all things Funko Pop anymore), but I dig the "pop culture fusion" with pseudo Lego type gameplay. Universal seems to be the big player here, but there's also some service to He-Man and Voltron. Plus stuff like Chucky and The Thing which would NEVER make it anything else. Not a full price purchase, but it has my interest just for the He-Man and Voltron inclusion.

Lego Horizon Adventure- Can't help but feel a bit "WTF" seeing a Playstation franchise title on the Switch. It's not like the MLB games, Aloy and the Horizon series is a distinctly "Playstation property" and seeing her make an appearance on a Nintendo console is a bit wild to me. Doubly so since there isn't a major "thing" for the franchise that might warrant the promotional efforts. Also damn weird to hear the VO discuss "prior games" in the series since they are all on Playstation consoles.

Metroid Prime 4- I can't believe they actually showed it. An appearance from the franchise wouldn't have surprised me (Still waiting on the MP 2 and 3 ports that are rumored to be "in the can"), but it does surprise me that they DID show stuff for Prime 4. And what they showed was fairly impressive, with more action that I was expecting. That said, I'm still expecting Prime 4 to potentially be a "cross gen" title for the next Nintendo console.
Rumors were that MP 2 and 3 would make an appearance, but maybe Nintendo is holding them off to help build hype for MP 4?

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
MP4, Echoes of Wisdom, and the announcement that the full Erdrick trilogy are getting the HD-2D treatment were the big highlights for me. I'm really excited for all three of those.

MP4 is looking great. Feels like more of everything that I loved in the previous games, just amped up to the next level. Can't wait for this one. I certainly hope they'll announce MP2 and MP3 the next time they show off anything more on the game. It would be a huge missed opportunity to not have the whole sub-series available together.

I know there had been some interview a little while back that hinted a game with Zelda being playable could happen at some point. I certainly wasn't expecting a new game featuring Zelda this soon though. I'm curious about how her gameplay will be. Could be really fun, but I could see it getting irritating eventually if there's no more direct way to take on enemies. Hopefully she'll get more abilities as the game progresses, though I could see that potentially running counter to the Wisdom theme. Definitely looking forward to playing it, regardless.

I wasn't too excited for the DQ3 remake initially. It's a fine game, I just already have the trilogy on my Switch. And that's where I most like it, as part of its trilogy. I know it's the biggest and best of them, but getting it in a new style separate from the other two just didn't really land with me. But getting all three of them? Completely changes everything for me. I'll definitely be looking forward to these now.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Okay, for a system that's supposedly in it's last year of life, this Direct was surprisingly packed! This is probably one of the more surprising Directs.

Mario and Luigi Brothership-Okay, you tricked me. I thought this was a remake at first. But, this is a whole new game! Alright, I'm interested. Some of the animations look really nice!

Fairy Tail 2-I liked the manga. This might be fun.

Fantasian Neo Dimension-I'm a sucker for JRPGs, I'm at least keeping a eye on this one.

MIO Memories in Orbit-This one's got style, at least. Even if it does look a lot like Ori and other similar games. Worth keeping a eye on.

Disney Illusion Island is getting a new update. Neat. It's a solid little platformer.

Hello Kitty Island Adventure-Tom Nook is gonna get you for copyright infringement!

Looney Tunes Wacky World of Sports-Why does Porky sound so metallic?

Farmagia-A army of korgis...the horror...But, seriously, looks like the Fairy Tail did the artwork for this one, too. Could be kind of neat. So many games are coming for Pokemon's lunch.

Donkey Kong Country Returns...Returns....RETURNS?! Okay, fair enough. I'm glad people will get to play the original game.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D. We finally have a release date! And 1 and 2 are getting the same treatment! Neat! Chronological order!

Funko Fusion. They're making a Funko Pop video game. Pop culture has reached it's final form! The ouroboros is complete!

Luigi's Mansion 2 is still looking pretty solid.

Link to the Past...GBA version?! Okay? Why not? Metroid Zero Mission's finally here. And...Turok and Perfect Dark?! Okay!

Phantom Brave! That's a name I haven't heard in a loooong time...

Marvel Vs Capcom Fighting Collection! Oh, this is going to get people speculating about a new game!

Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom-They're remaking the Wand of Gamelon?! Okay, but really, it's nice they're finally giving Zelda her own game. I mean, they're basically using the Link's Awakening remake as a pretty firm base, but still. The gameplay looks unique. It might take some getting used to, but it's interesting. Definitely a get! I don't trust Tri already. So...how long until fans break this game wide open?

Lego Horizon Adventures! Adorable robot beasts! This is actually a little tempting.

Stray is coming to the Switch! It looks like they had to cut back quite a bit, but it still has charms!

Tales of the Shire! Another Animal Crossing type game. Eh, it could be fun.

Ace Attorney Investigations Collection! I'm glad they're finally translating the Miles Edgeworth games.

The Hundred Line Last Defense Academy! Well, it's got personality! I might check it out.

The Romancing Saga 2 remake is looking kind of tempting, too.

Metroid Prime 4 Beyond! It's been 3,000 years! The game exists! And it's coming to the original Switch, even, I guess!

Last edited:

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
I've learned to dread a coming direct. Mostly thanks to "lIVe ReACTion!!1!/?1!??!!" videos that flood my social feeds once it's over.

Good thing about waiting to watch a Direct is chapter breaks so I can go straight to the thing (sometimes, even thingS) that'd intrest me. I drew this up a few directs ago, and it still doesn't need to be updated.

pie_322C653F.png

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection- Oh sweet lordy Capcom, take me for a RIDE! I was starting to lose hope something like this would come out. Having all seven Capcom Marvel titles in one collection is a dream. And I think it's the first time since the mid-90s that Punisher and X-Men have been available on a home console (not counting the Arcade 1 Up stuff). I think there is an argument this was among the bigger announcements, given the long standing issues with Marvel game rights. The VS games alone would have made this a buy, but getting X-Men and Punisher just made it top tier.
This both made and ruined my day, all at once.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Perfect Dark is a surprise, albeit a nice one. Microsoft is pushing the new title for Xbox, so this works well as a promotional effort for that.
Wait, what? I thought the new PD was essentially dead in the water after its dev team fell apart a while ago.

Not that I'm complaining, I've been wanting some manner of easily-accessible version of the game for a while, either like this or a port of Rare Replay. Takes some major fiddling with control changing between the game and Switch settings to be comfortable, but it's good times.

Shadewing

Citizen
Wait, what? I thought the new PD was essentially dead in the water after its dev team fell apart a while ago.

Not that I'm complaining, I've been wanting some manner of easily-accessible version of the game for a while, either like this or a port of Rare Replay. Takes some major fiddling with control changing between the game and Switch settings to be comfortable, but it's good times.

Not new, the original now on Switch.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
for a system that's supposedly in it's last year of life
If the New Switch, or whatever, is going to be backward compatible, we'll probably see another year or two of titles that support both. Maybe not from Nintendo themselves but from somebody. Expect to see "Nindies" hang on even longer unless Nintendo cuts off certification. This is the single most popular console Nintendo has ever released, putting it almost on par with the PS2; it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo took a similar approach to its end-of-life. Even the Wii got a cheap mini version released after the WiiU.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Not new, the original now on Switch.
No, I know that, I've been playing it. I was asking about the reboot that got revealed back in 2020 that I assume Steevy was alluding to, because last I'd heard anything about it, the specific devteam that had come together to make make it had bled so many members it had gotten stapled to the Tomb Raider reboot guys for life support, which just sounded like it was gonna die a quiet death and anyone left would've been assimilated.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I already pre-ordered the Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D remake. I am so looking forward to playing that game!

Lots of other great games announced here:

Metroid Prime 4, definitely on the must get list.
Mario and Luigi Brotherhood looks like something I need to get.
Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom is going to be another Day 1 get for me.
DKC Returns HD and the World Championship games are something I will have to get.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Finally, the Miles Edgeworth games are coming!!!! Absolute must get on physical format. Love Ace Attorney so much.

I'm going to get Lego Horizons and play it with TMM. Nothing will convince me not to.

Zelda is a must, too. I like the creativity allowed. I'm gonna enjoy throwing monsters at my foes.

I've had my fill of farming games for now, but am slightly tempted by the Hello Kitty one, if only b/c I spotted Aggretsuko in there. I'm a bit worried that it might be too saccharine/made for kids, so will wait for reviews.

Top Bottom