The Repaint Concept Thread

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
I bet that fact is also why Universe 2008 gave us the helicopter-only Springer from the Evac mold, to balance out the fact that the BotCon figure was a car-only Springer.
Oh yeah that was what I was thinking even back then. Thing is I don't think either mould works particularly well as Springer.
Springer's G1 alt modes may have been Cybertronian but I always read them as a car and an attack helicopter. An armoured personnel carrier and a rescue copter didn't really fit either vibe.

The first CHUG Springer who actually felt like he captured a form of Springer, IMO, was GDO Springer.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah part of me is miffed that Evac kept getting "who was even tangentially a helicopter in G1? We gotta churn out more G1" redecos. As was the style at the time. (I might have been less miffed if they'd varied things up a bit more and gone past 1986. Windmill. Blaze Master. Rotorstorm.)

And with SG Galvatron really not doing anything for me (looks okay) that just cements the original as still the best colors on a really great mold.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Since they seemed unwilling to use Movieverse molds (particularly the ones whose designs were shared in ownership by Paramount/ILM), Evac was the only Earth helicopter mold Hasbro had available at the time, a time where Hasbro cared little for show-accuracy or even 1980s design faithfulness, and more about modern updates and realistic Earth altmodes. With that in mind, the Evac mold fit the bill in their minds as a workable modern-updated realistic-looking Earth form for Springer and Blades, G1-accuracy be darned.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I had an entirely different reply mostly based on "wait why are you telling me this", but I figured this was more of a reply to LordGigaIce, so I'll leave you to it.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Since they seemed unwilling to use Movieverse molds (particularly the ones whose designs were shared in ownership by Paramount/ILM), Evac was the only Earth helicopter mold Hasbro had available at the time, a time where Hasbro cared little for show-accuracy or even 1980s design faithfulness, and more about modern updates and realistic Earth altmodes. With that in mind, the Evac mold fit the bill in their minds as a workable modern-updated realistic-looking Earth form for Springer and Blades, G1-accuracy be darned.
I get it, but I bought that set for Ratbat and even as someone who wanted a Classics Springer that iteration just... didn't work for me. "He can wield his rotors like a blade weapon on his arm!" felt like a huge leap to try and make a Springer connection.
"It's kinda like his sword!"

GXE18

Citizen
WFC-E Shattered Glass Ironhide and Prowl

SG Ironhide and Prowl.png

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I get it, but I bought that set for Ratbat and even as someone who wanted a Classics Springer that iteration just... didn't work for me. "He can wield his rotors like a blade weapon on his arm!" felt like a huge leap to try and make a Springer connection.
"It's kinda like his sword!"
The generally heroic build and big chonky legs were a decent fit, though visually Energon Bulkhead probably still worked better for most people as their Classics Springer fill-in at the time. I do wonder if this one might have landed better with people though if his greens and yellows had actual saturation, they're all weirdly drab and washed-out.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I do wonder if this one might have landed better with people though if his greens and yellows had actual saturation, they're all weirdly drab and washed-out.
Likely another case of the "realism" Hasbro was pushing for due to the success of the first movie.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It was probably also reflected of fandom wants. People forget that Classics wasn't supposed to be anything but a filler line to bridge the gap between Cybertron and the first movie line after the movie got pushed back a year. Hasbro was kind of caught off guard by how well received Classics was among the fandom in general and as a retail line.
Yeah, Hasbro really had their fingers on the pulse of the audience at the time, not realizing something people'd been asking for over the course of several years would do well...
Even though the mould doesn't work that well for the character :p
Honestly? I don't think it worked too badly.

Head was a decent match, IIRC, and to me, that's like the most important thing.

And while he didn't have a sword, per se, he did have a blade.

For his role in the Wreckers, I feel like the alt mode works.

It's always kinda weird to me how, when it comes to toys, it seems like the alt mode takes precedence over robot mode appearance. I mean, in G1, you have Wheeljack go from this big armored van thing to a race car, and Soundwave from a lamp post to a cassette player, so it always felt to me like the alt modes were more flexible than their robot mode appearances.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think it's because some stability in association, "this character turns into this specific thing", was established and maintained early on in the most accessible or widespread fiction.

Those examples have the Cybertronian altmodes really made up and written in retroactively as a narrative device, to add weight to the "they're not from Earth" bit of the backstory. Meanwhile, the toys being sold were in the latter altmodes, which they'd spend the remainder of the show in to reflect that, the better to market those items. To the point where altmode changes were sort of tied to character changes as well (Megatron/Galvatron, Hot Rod/Rodimus). Notable as an anomaly is Skyfire, who's got fans of each look/ altmode as a result.

And they would never really change those as the show ran since the show didn't run long enough in the west to have something new (Powermaster Op, Goldbug, Pretender classics, Action Masters) to advertise.

Even in later shows like Beast Wars an altmode change tended to either need explaining or justifying, or got turned into a whole plot device. The movies had a lot of it occur offscreen, but we also have explicit situations of depicting a re-scan (Bee in 2007, Prime in AOE).

But yeah, myself I didn't really get too granular about it (this new Jazz is a curvy sedan but not a Porsche? That's fine). Although the Evac-body Universe Springer also never really read as "Springer" to me for whatever reason.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Idea I had earlier, for someone more talented than myself to play with:

1725254101888.jpeg
1725254207862.jpeg

Doesn't necessarily have to be that Cyclonus toy, but it always seemed like a decent match for him to me.

Would have been great back when everything had to be "realistic" and some stuff was based on Joe vehicles, like Snowcat.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Idea I had earlier, for someone more talented than myself to play with:

View attachment 23179View attachment 23180

Doesn't necessarily have to be that Cyclonus toy, but it always seemed like a decent match for him to me.

Would have been great back when everything had to be "realistic" and some stuff was based on Joe vehicles, like Snowcat.
This looks very doable, especially given the Metalhawk retool. If it were possible... maybe the Metalhawk body with Cyclonus wings?

Top Bottom