The Super Mario Bros. Movie

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Once upon a time, when I had ambitions of doing a Mario comic and having it someday cross over with Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog, I was going to sort of go all Thor with the Rainbow Road idea and have it be what connected their worlds.

...an idea that's sort of used here? Except not between worlds. Well, sure, worlds in the Mario sense, but not... eh, you know what I mean.

Anyway, I dug that bit.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I mean, never say never. We might get a Smash Bros Movie, someday. Combine the pipes with the Rainbow Road and maybe some third thing, and bada-bing-bada-boom, you got yourself a crossover!

A crossover where Sonic might just show up in, to boot. Highly unlikely, given so many different fingers in different pies. Illumination and Paramount might not be keen to work together. But, not impossible, either. I mean, if "Ugly Sonic" can show up in the Chip n Dale movie, it's not impossible for Mario and Sonic to cross over in the movies.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I think ugly sonic showed up cause they wanted something to make the work worth while. Regardless of how he looked: someone was paid a LOT of money to make him happen.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Once upon a time, when I had ambitions of doing a Mario comic and having it someday cross over with Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog, I was going to sort of go all Thor with the Rainbow Road idea and have it be what connected their worlds.

...an idea that's sort of used here? Except not between worlds. Well, sure, worlds in the Mario sense, but not... eh, you know what I mean.

Anyway, I dug that bit.
Back when the Sonic games were focusing on taking place in the "real world" (as in Earth instead of "Mobius"), which would have been around the Adventure/Shadow/06 era, I in my younger years tried to think up a Mario/Sonic crossover game with the very simple premise of Sonic's real-world Earth being the same Earth from which Mario and Luigi originally traveled to the Mushroom Kingdom via a warp pipe in the sewer. The beginning of the game would start out in the real world with Sonic chasing Eggman through a city, with Eggman escaping down into the sewers and Sonic following after him. The two would stumble upon a warp pipe and end up in the world of the Mushroom Kingdom, with Eggman tricking Mario and Peach into thinking Sonic was a new ally of Bowser, and Bowser trying (but maybe not quite succeeding) to trick Sonic into thinking Mario was likewise an evil villain. Gameplay would be split between Mario and Sonic a la Sonic Adventure 2's two sides of its story, with both paths culminating in the two joining forces to stop the combined might of Bowser and Dr. Eggman.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Mine was specifically tailored to the Archie pre-reboot universe.

Maybe I should talk about it sometime. I'm pretty sure the chances of it ever happening for real are infinitesimal at this point.

I'm biased, but I think I had a pretty good idea going.

Came across this on YT:

Haven't watched this, and I'm probably the biggest fan of the '93 Mario movie on these boards, but honestly?

I'm fine with leaving the more abstract interpretations to the fans. I think that's more interesting, on the whole, even if I have loved some of the Hollywood versions in the past. (Like Street Fighter. The first one. JUST the first one.)

Shadewing

Citizen
Mine was specifically tailored to the Archie pre-reboot universe.

Maybe I should talk about it sometime. I'm pretty sure the chances of it ever happening for real are infinitesimal at this point.

I'm biased, but I think I had a pretty good idea going.

Haven't watched this, and I'm probably the biggest fan of the '93 Mario movie on these boards, but honestly?

I'm fine with leaving the more abstract interpretations to the fans. I think that's more interesting, on the whole, even if I have loved some of the Hollywood versions in the past. (Like Street Fighter. The first one. JUST the first one.)

Basically the video is ultimately discussing if there is a point where an adaption can be too faithful or too distant an adaption with the Mario Movies representing the extreme of both sides. Talking about how different media adaptions of a work can bring different things to the metaphorical table and how sometimes an adaption trying to be faithful can feel like a weaker adaption in the long run becuase, espically with video game movies in general, its taking away an element of the orginal but not always replacing it with something. With VGMs he feels that removing the sense of immersion that video games can have, leads to a movie with potentially less substance.

There are a lot of interesting points he raises and some of which kinda reflect my own feelings about adaptations.

Top Bottom