Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Hmm, I've often thought of the idea of time travel as a tourist industry, but a retirement community sounds like a solid business idea too.
If you've got energy to burn sending people backwards in time: then there is practical and functional immortality already available. Ain't no one retiring under those conditions.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If you've got energy to burn sending people backwards in time: then there is practical and functional immortality already available. Ain't no one retiring under those conditions.

? Not to derail the topic but how does Time travel equal Immortality?

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
One of the potential side effects of exposure to time vortex energy is immortality, though I think it has to be focused in a specific way to achieve said results.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
? Not to derail the topic but how does Time travel equal Immortality?
If you've got the power, the energy, to idly send people through time: you've got the energy to do all kinds of other things: like perfecting biology, space travel, all sorts of crazy computer shit.

Will a human body live forever? No, of course not. Could good medicine and technology extend the human life span ridiculously? Yup. Could good enough technology and computing figure out how to transfer a living human consciousness without breaking continuity? Absolutely. And right there, for probably less effort than sending someone through time: you've effectively made them functionally immortal.

If you've got the power to violate time, you've got the power for functional immortality. Unless time travel turns out to be so ludicrously simple and cheap, there's always better ways to spend that kind of power... Like moving your planet to account for global warming, or getting a high level AI to calculate the last digit of PI before the end of business friday.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Actually it can be potentially cheap without allowing for all that other stuff - but with the caveat that it will only link two specific points in time and space.

1) Make a stable wormhole. (This is the big energy part of this, but the tech to produce the exotic matter needed for this doesn't necessarily imply the rest of what you mentioned)
2) Take one end of the wormhole out into space at relavistic speeds for a significant period of time. This slows the flow of time for the traveling end, but both ends of the wormhole would experience the same passage of time as a single object
3) Return and park the wormhole exit back where you started. You can now travel forward and backward in time by the amount of time difference generated by time dilation

And for practical uses of this tech, instant contact and transportation to and from space colonies, with the caveat that to FTL there you have to get there STL first.

Not that useful though for shipping people off to when they think they want to live.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Eh, That sort of time-travel wouldn't allow for effective immortality, though. A combination of telomere restoration and nano-tech cellular repair might. If you can somehow manipulate spacetime to that kind of degree, you can likely figure out a way to rebuild telomeres and develop advanced nano machines as well.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
That's literally what I'm saying: if you have that much energy to spend: there are better and more efficient things you could do with it.

Time travel: it's a hell of a flex, but ultimately just stupid.

Axaday

Citizen
Fallacy of the Unbounded Middle?

If you can put a man on the moon, you can achieve immortality. Until you actually put a man on the moon and find out that being someone who can do one difficult thing does not make you someone who can do another difficult thing.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
At this point, does Trump even need to say anything? His supporters are capable of doing it themselves.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Trump spokesman: Trump's bought a Glock. Here's a video of him shopping.
Everyone else: Isn't it a federal crime to receive a firearm while under felony indictment?
Trump spokesman: ...
Trump spokesman: Trump has not bought a Glock. Excuse me while I delete my earlier tweet.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Nope, they need to keep charging him every time he breaks the law. Considering how he would have had to have lied to get the gun, why not charge him with the exact same thing as hunter biden!

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I don't care what takes him off the street at this point, somebody take off the kid gloves and lock him up already. If anyone else had done a fraction of the shit he's pulled, they would've been behind bars years ago.

Axaday

Citizen
Nope, they need to keep charging him every time he breaks the law. Considering how he would have had to have lied to get the gun, why not charge him with the exact same thing as hunter biden!
What I expect is that he never did buy the Glock because he has no interest in handling a weapon and his campaign just thought it would be a great optic for gun nuts to see that he is a gun nut just like them. But they fell over themselves and didn't consider that it was impossible. He probably really is innocent, as far as gun laws are concerned, but I hope some proper avenue opens to scream the message that he is only cynically pretending to want a Glock.

Definitely need video of a reporter asking him if he bought the Glock and then following up with why his campaign pretended he bought the Glock.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah there is no way he actually bought the Glock. He has that "Do I have to hold this? How do I hold this?" look all over his face. He doesn't like guns. He likes the gun lobby because they like him, but that's as far as it goes.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Trump likes the gun lobby because they're rich, and that's literally it.

Hell, even if he did GET the glock, there's absolutely no way he paid for it. His superpac would have covered it. Which means the gun nuts bought him a glock.

Axaday

Citizen
Trump likes the gun lobby because they're rich, and that's literally it.

Hell, even if he did GET the glock, there's absolutely no way he paid for it. His superpac would have covered it. Which means the gun nuts bought him a glock.
He can't receive it and I believe the store knows that. It was just a campaign stunt that wasn't thought out.

I wish he was doing debates! It would be really great if every time he brought up Hunter Biden's gun charge someone brought this up. How incensed can Trump really be that Hunter broke gun purchase laws if he pretended to do it himself?

Hunter has actually handed the Republicans a paradox in the 2024 campaign. They all really want to jump on what feels like a weak spot for Biden, but they also all really want to relax those same laws....

Top Bottom