Transformers Collaborative thread (Agent Knight - Transformers x Knight Rider)

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
"Actual" colors in B&W movies can be tricky-- sometimes the art direction would have odd colors because they showed better contrast or otherwise looked better on-screen.

So color stills (or actual costumes, props, etc.) of a B&W movie set may not be an accurate reflection of the intention.

ANYWAY wow, they sure are milking that Laser Op mold, huh?
I read that in black and white films, like "Pscho", they used melted chocolate, because it had the viscosity and dark colour on monochrome film to look like blood.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
It feels like the easy answer here would have been to remould Grimlock so he had a more Godzilla-y head and spinal fins, and then you could paint one black and give him a Megatron head and the other silver and give him an Optimus head and boom. Godzilla/Megs vs Mecha Godzilla/Optimus.

Beats just a straight repaint of Grimlock with a Megatron head and a truck mode Optimus who's just painted in Mecha Godzilla colours.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
These toys rely too much on slapping the Godzilla/Kiryu colors on preexisting molds when the Godzilla characters do not have very distinct color schemes. Godzilla is basically all black and all the Mechagodzillas are just silver all over. These translate poorly to molds that don't have any resemblance to Godzilla or Kiryu.

Let's put it this way: in an alternate universe where Takara released these exact same toys without the Godzilla logos, I highly doubt Toho would win an IP infringement lawsuit.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean, distinctive colors only go so far. No amount of color scheme is going to make a humanoid or a longnose cab evocative of a mechanical bipedal dragon thing.

Maybe if they painted the longnose hood to look like Mechagodzilla's snout, the windows glowing eyes...

I think things might have worked out a bit better if they'd used, say, the RID2015 retool of FOC Grimlock. Even give it a Megatron head. The overall dino silhouette is less blocky and lends itself better to the "charcoal with bright accents" colors than the SS86 Grim does.

Then use SS86 Grimlock for Mechagodzilla, even slap a Prime head on there. Do a gunmetal all over with charcoal for the "joints". Maybe paint on some rivets or other paneling details. There's not much to do going from silver-gray to silver-gray. Also I suppose the new problem is now the size disparity since they're actually comparable unlike when one was a truck.

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I mean, distinctive colors only go so far. No amount of color scheme is going to make a humanoid or a longnose cab evocative of a mechanical bipedal dragon thing.

Maybe if they painted the longnose hood to look like Mechagodzilla's snout, the windows glowing eyes...

I think things might have worked out a bit better if they'd used, say, the RID2015 retool of FOC Grimlock. Even give it a Megatron head. The overall dino silhouette is less blocky and lends itself better to the "charcoal with bright accents" colors than the SS86 Grim does.

Then use SS86 Grimlock for Mechagodzilla, even slap a Prime head on there. Do a gunmetal all over with charcoal for the "joints". Maybe paint on some rivets or other paneling details. There's not much to do going from silver-gray to silver-gray. Also I suppose the new problem is now the size disparity since they're actually comparable unlike when one was a truck.
They could have even used Legacy BW Megatron for Godzilla and Legacy G1 Grimlock for Mechagodzilla.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
That sounds even worse. Studio Series Grimlock is at least a similar shape and proportions to Godzilla. Besides being organic, Beast Megatron shares even less with Goji. He wouldn't even pass as Tristar Godzilla.
I disagree. While neither are great, I think they're the best of a bad bunch for TT to dial-in a quick crossover boxed set and certainly better than what we got with the actual set. Also, instead of making a new Megatron head, they could remold the organic dinosaur head, tail, etc to homage Godzilla more.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
bm4.pngmonsterarts-2002-godzilla-4.jpeg
Lol no. That's far more retooling than just the robot head, and if they were willing to make the many changes necessary to make a passable Godzilla, we wouldn't be getting black Grimlock in the first place.

Last edited:

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Like I said all you gotta do to get to "passable" is remould SS 86 Grimlock's head, toss some spinal fins on him, and get a Megs and OP head for each one. Paint one black and one silver and boom.

It's a relatively minimal level of remoulding and they weren't even willing to do that much. No chance they touch Kingdom BW Megs.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
TM2 Megatron would be a better starting point, but that's even more retooling to get rid of the wings and buff up the arms and make the thighs appropriately dummy thicc.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Lol no. That's far more retooling than just the robot head, and if they were willing to make the many changes necessary to make a passable Godzilla, we wouldn't be getting black Grimlock in the first place.
Like I stated before, it's a sure lot closer than a lorry for what seems to be a dialled-in effort by Takara using fairly recent molds. They remolded the robot head, so they could have just as easily remolded the dinosaur head instead and used Grimlock as Mechagodzilla.

Remember, this isn't about which molds are the 'best' for this theoretical crossover, but which ones better fit the possible constraints Takara seemed to have been under to have released this recent, arguably poor offering.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
TM2 Megatron would be a better starting point, but that's even more retooling to get rid of the wings and buff up the arms and make the thighs appropriately dummy thicc.
Not to mention having a FAR shorter left arm in robot mode.

MrBlud

Citizen
It feels like the easy answer here would have been to remould Grimlock so he had a more Godzilla-y head and spinal fins, and then you could paint one black and give him a Megatron head and the other silver and give him an Optimus head and boom. Godzilla/Megs vs Mecha Godzilla/Optimus.

Beats just a straight repaint of Grimlock with a Megatron head and a truck mode Optimus who's just painted in Mecha Godzilla colours.

The head is actually Sludge’s toy one. It was a premold from back when they weren’t sure they could give all five wholly new molds.

It really sucks because MechaGodzilla is literally a robot Dinosaur yet they made the organic Dinosaur a robot Dinosaur and gave the robot Dinosaur…a truck.

Of course Grimlock was already 90% Mechagodzilla colors anyway so I can see why they passed on that.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Like I stated before, it's a sure lot closer than a lorry for what seems to be a dialled-in effort by Takara using fairly recent molds. They remolded the robot head, so they could have just as easily remolded the dinosaur head instead and used Grimlock as Mechagodzilla.

Remember, this isn't about which molds are the 'best' for this theoretical crossover, but which ones better fit the possible constraints Takara seemed to have been under to have released this recent, arguably poor offering.
Like I stated before, your idea is worse than what we got because Godzilla does not resemble a T-Rex.
gegs.png

This is what you're saying is better: a T-Rex with a different head. Take away the spines, the humanoid arms and the proportions and the result no longer resembles Godzilla any more than a generic black dinosaur. Grimlock may not be a good Godzilla, but he at least evokes "guy in a suit" better than this abomination.

Last edited:

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
I take a few days away from Transformer news and this stuff gets announced, crazy.

Zoids x Transformers have always been a dream to me, adding in Diaclone is something I never expected but works. Even if it looks like the most basic animal to robot transformation.

Macross 7 is pretty cool, I've always wondered why I never see even digibashes of the various fighters from the many Jetfire's over the years.

Godzilla x Transformers, wow I wish I could say I'd be all over that but that Optimus is a disappointment, but I have to say Megatron does look good in black, like that's how Hiss Tank Megatron should have looked.

Top Bottom