Transformers Collaborative thread (Agent Knight - Transformers x Knight Rider)

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Another AMAZING collaboration TF might be coming out from those hardworking peeps at Takara Tomy! Who needs all those film and TV crossover figures from America when we get spoilt by releases like THIS!

Bump of Chicken OP.png

(More info is here.)

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
This is what you're saying is better: a T-Rex with a different head. Take away the spines, the humanoid arms and the proportions and the result no longer resembles Godzilla any more than a generic black dinosaur. Grimlock may not be a good Godzilla, but he at least evokes "guy in a suit" better than this abomination.
No, my point was that an organic T-Rex and a robotic one (representing organic and robotic kaiju respectively) would be preferable to a lorry representing a robotic kaiju and a robotic dinosaur representing a biological kaiju.

Anyway, someone online stated that the "Megatron" head for Godzilla is a slightly retooled version of the intended "Sludge" head. This was possibly due to Sludge being considered to be a partial remold of Grimlock earlier on in the design process?
sludgehead.jpg

Last edited:

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Another AMAZING collaboration TF might be coming out from those hardworking peeps at Takara Tomy! Who needs all those film and TV crossover figures from America when we get spoilt by releases like THIS!

View attachment 23107
(More info is here.)

That....is pretty hideous. I'm guessing they were going for a Voltron-esque sort of thing? Like we're supposed to assume that he's the combined form of several separate pieces?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
That....is pretty hideous. I'm guessing they were going for a Voltron-esque sort of thing? Like we're supposed to assume that he's the combined form of several separate pieces?
i think it was an "artistic" choice, like how a J-Pop starlet "chose" the colours for a TF too? However, I can't for the life of me remember what figure it was or who it was that painted it.

Last edited:

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
i think it was an "artistic" choice, like how a J-Pop starlet "chose" the colours for a TF too? However, I can't for the life of me remember what future it was our who it was that painted it.

I guess these are appealing to fans of the celebrity or to people who just like interesting pop-culture collectibles, but they don't do anything for me.

Now, the Bathing Ape Optimus and Primitive Skateboarding Shreddicus Maximus were both pretty great looking independent of what they were promoting.

Attachments

• bape prime.jpg
    bape prime.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Primitive-Optimus-Prime-35-1000x1000.jpg
    Primitive-Optimus-Prime-35-1000x1000.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 16

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, that seems very much more what Hasbro would do. They seem to do more remolds and new molds for Collabs then Takara does.

Of course they could also just do Kingdom Primal and Megatron in their TFCybertron colors, since those were meant to be Kong and Godzilla inspired iirc.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It feels weird saying Hasbro's doing more high effort stuff, but in this case they genuinely are. Even when their Collabs are just remolds, they're pretty extensive.

I feel like a Takara JP crossover would be just be Optimus Prime with the JP logo somewhere on the trailer.

NovaSaber

Citizen
i think it was an "artistic" choice, like how a J-Pop starlet "chose" the colours for a TF too? However, I can't for the life of me remember what future it was our who it was that painted it.
There have actually been several Transformers whose colors were chosen by someone they were done in collaboration with.

The pastel-colored version of Binaltech Meister's colors were picked by model and actress Mayuko Iwasa.
(Also there was literally only one made and it was auctioned for charity, so odds are the person who bought it didn't even really care what colors it was.)

The Kiss Players cassettes and Sparkbots were designed by the voice actresses from the radio program.

On Hasbro's side, Linkin Park picked the colors for that ugly gold Soundwave.

And I think J Balvin may have chosen the colors of J Balvintron, but I'm less sure on that.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There have actually been several Transformers whose colors were chosen by someone they were done in collaboration with.

The pastel-colored version of Binaltech Meister's colors were picked by model and actress Mayuko Iwasa.
(Also there was literally only one made and it was auctioned for charity, so odds are the person who bought it didn't even really care what colors it was.)

The Kiss Players cassettes and Sparkbots were designed by the voice actresses from the radio program.

On Hasbro's side, Linkin Park picked the colors for that ugly gold Soundwave.

And I think J Balvin may have chosen the colors of J Balvintron, but I'm less sure on that.

Oof, yeah, that Linkin Park Soundwave was also pretty hideous.

J Blavintron was also ugly, but in an endearing "carded KO in the back of a dollar store" way, and though I never bought one, I've always secretly coveted those Flora Dery colored blast effects.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Optimus had me baffled, but seeing a similar take on this car has me oddly warming to it. I've gone from "Star Wars Prototype Toy colors" to "oh it's like one of those 80s album covers, or United Colors of Benetton."

NovaSaber

Citizen
The previous Bump of Chicken collaboration (Sonic Blue Bumblebee)'s color was based on Chama's blue guitar,

I think maybe this Optimus is trying to include the colors of all their instruments?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It feels weird saying Hasbro's doing more high effort stuff, but in this case they genuinely are. Even when their Collabs are just remolds, they're pretty extensive.

I feel like a Takara JP crossover would be just be Optimus Prime with the JP logo somewhere on the trailer.
They are. I've said before, most of the "exclusive" boxes sets and single figures, including the majority of the the crossover line, capsules, etc, are not available in Japan. Most of the exclusive did we've had are overpriced "upgraded" animation-accurate recolours of the same character-figures most of us already bought (and have no intention of buying again) or extremely expensive side project figures (like the Missing Link line, MP Ginrai, etc). Also, most of these are available soon after in the US, etc. Coupled with that, we have to wait ages for regular figure releases, which are identical to the US versions, plus most TFs can only really be bought easily online as most shops don't stock them.

I have felt for a while that Japan is no longer the place to be to get really cool, exclusive TFs at a fairly decent price.

Top Bottom