Transformers Galactic Trials: new console game (Sept 5: gameplay trailer released)

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Something about the Evergreen designs is subtly off-putting to me. I can't explain why. They're so inoffensive that I feel like I should have no reaction to them, but there's definitely a vague "ew" feeling.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Something about the Evergreen designs is subtly off-putting to me. I can't explain why. They're so inoffensive that I feel like I should have no reaction to them, but there's definitely a vague "ew" feeling.
Is it that they feel "corporately safe"? Like they were focus-group tested?

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maybe, but I don't see why my reaction couldn't just be indifference. Like, I have no feelings whatsoever about the game itself, or anything else the Evergreen designs have been in. Total indifference. Doesn't bother me. Don't care. But I see those designs and some quiet alarm goes off.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm not quite sure what that's like specifically, but my own reaction is a weird sort of aggressive apathy.

Like, they're not designs I know from G1, so that hook is unavailable. But they're not particularly distinctive either in the way that other reinterpretations are, so there's nothing there as well. They're like pre-style guide, "let this artist draw them as whatever just close enough" for a tie-in coloring book or whatever. And so all that's really there are the broad strokes and little of the... Spark? That one might hope for from these. It's a bit odd because I didn't mind them when designs in that vein were used in Cyberverse.

Doesn't help that apparently the Evergreen artwork notes for Hot Rod specifically don't mention the flame deco as a signature element. I mean, I'm glad to see the pipes and spoiler there, but wow. Your whole thing is boiling characters down to their aesthetic essentials, and this guy doesn't have Hot Rod Flames?

Top Bottom