Citizen
https://www.reddit.com/r/transformers/comments/165tkza
2oa0vk75vblb1.jpg

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It hasn't made a difference to me, since the screws they were using were the cheapest garbage anyway. I have not been able to unscrew a Transformers screw since 2007. The teeth go flat immediately.
Huh. This is the first I've heard of this specific issue. I've had only one bad run-in with a screw on a TF and it was a secondhand figure whose screw head had already had its grooves worn down. Although the material did seem oddly easy to wear down further; I had to stop and get a bigger Philips head to properly remove it without making the problem worse.

Dake

Citizen
Huh sure enough. Mine isn't nearly as bad as these pics, just a couple of small spots on only one wing, but it's there. I just sprayed it with bleach cleaner and scrubbed it with an old toothbrush.

Very curious though. Seems like there needs to be some sort of growth medium and I wouldn't think just the plastic is enough. I wonder if there's been a change to the plastic recipe or whatever they use for mold-release (the other kind of mold) agent?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Some on Discord have reported coughing and difficulty breathing after handling their Nacelles before they found the mold on their figures.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Seriously? Not ONE Cosmic Rust joke? Did I miss it...?

But I am unsure as to bleach, due to it potentially destroying the plastic, and alcohol can strip paint. Light Lysol might be a better idea. I myself am just very confused as to this entire thing, I'd assumed the packaging when I first heard about it, I certainly never expected this.

Nacelle is now my Egon Spangler homage character, though I didn't order one and I doubt I will.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
My Nacelle arrived today and is now going through a few rounds of hot baths. I'm not sure where I go from there but it feels good as a starting point.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
My Nacelle arrived today and is now going through a few rounds of hot baths. I'm not sure where I go from there but it feels good as a starting point.

Maybe a touch of vinger in the bath, I don't know to be honest, besides, I'm not getting that figure, however, this is not good, clearly there is a problem at the factory if an alien substance can get into the plastic mix!

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Vinegar works great, but I don't know what effects it might have on plastic.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I wonder why it's started anyway. Plastic is organic, and there ARE microbes, including fungi, that will eat it, but its NOT common. Thing is, ID'ing a fungus is often very difficult, so I doubt we will get any answer as to a species or anything. What country of origin is this, China or Vietnam?

I doubt the 'trouble breathing' thing, people inhale more spores than this just going outside, but we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom