Transformers Legacy toyline

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That Optimus isn't perfect, but I guess it's close enough, even without the trailer.

Now, if only Amazon.ca would list him already...

They're not listing Studio Series Steeljaw, either, and Amazon.com is saying they can't ship to me... OR a friend of mine in the States. WTF? Are they just keeping them all?

(Yeah, yeah, wrong thread, but I don't feel like unearthing the other one just to gripe.)

Anyway, as I said on Instagram: Wow, a classic Optimus Prime who transforms like a classic Optimus should. No fake chest, no rotating everything around backwards, no fake grill abs... love it!

Not that I hate the other transformations, but a lot of the time -- particularly for those emulating the OG G1 -- they seem to take a much longer route to wind up in what's essentially the same place.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Now, if only Amazon.ca would list him already...

They're not listing Studio Series Steeljaw, either, and Amazon.com is saying they can't ship to me... OR a friend of mine in the States. WTF? Are they just keeping them all
Both are listed as out of stock on .ca, so I think they're just not showing up as a result.

Walmart has preorders for Prime, still, if you want to get one in somewhere

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The Core Dinobots might've been more novel if they hadn't just done PotP Volcanicus and were currently still doing the Studio Series team. They felt superfluous now. Maybe if they'd gone for Monstructor or Dinoking first.

The Phazer

Citizen
On the plus side, given the size of deluxe Optimus, if you're a fan of core class figures it won't be too long before all deluxes are that size.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I will miss the Core Class. I've loved having tinier versions of characters ever since they first introduced Legends of Cybertron back in the day. It's nice to have a smaller scale set of figures to go with Titans or what have you.

For characters that are supposed to be small, it sounds like they'll stiff figure out ways to get them out into the world, pack two in a box and call it a deluxe or whatever, so that's good.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The Core Dinobots might've been more novel if they hadn't just done PotP Volcanicus and were currently still doing the Studio Series team. They felt superfluous now. Maybe if they'd gone for Monstructor or Dinoking first.
While you do have a point re: the Studio Series Dinobots, there was a 5 year gap between POTP Volcanicus and the Legacy version.

(I mean you could count the Selects repaint from 2021 but IDK that just feels kinda cheeky at that point like 'online-only release of a Takara-initiated set'' isn't really comparable to everything else being general retail releases)

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I don't think even selling them as Dinoking or Monstructor would have changed much. Even Dinoking with a stronger thematic connection to dinosaurs wouldn't have been all that accurate regardless of what route they took with the colors, the individual toys would still be iffy, they'd still be subject to the distribution problems and they don't even have as much name recognition. The concept was half-baked from the start.

Last edited:

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
On the one hand, I am very sad to see the Core class go. On the other hand:
1) I miss the simpler transformations of the Legends/Legion scale figures. The Core figures were quite a bit more complicated, which I'm sure increased parts count and assembly costs.
2) With some notable exceptions, Core very rarely got the retooling afforded to Deluxe and larger figures, so a lot of the weirder, obscure, and more interesting figures were never going to make it to that size.

On the other, other hand: I want Core Blurr, Sideswipe, and Sunstreaker, Hasbro!

Kup

Citizen
I know most fans resort to online shopping now, but I still lean retail.

I have never seen a single core class Dinobot on the shelf. Ever. At any store.

Let that sink in. Multiple nearby Walmart and Meijer stores. Even when visiting Target locations in bigger towns.

Zero Dinobots. Plenty of that Pretender character though.

I lean heavily toward this being a distribution issue. I know Hasbro can’t fix the “assortment” policy retail demands of them. But if your toys don’t make it to shelves…yeah, it’s gonna fail.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Damn, I don't buy many Toyhax sticker sets, but this one got me. They made stickers to turn any of the Autobot 5 Pack into new characters, and this one in particular was an insta-buy:

robot.jpg

vehicle.jpg

Stickers and a new head to turn my extra Trailbreaker into the V.E.N.O.M. Jackhammer! The new helmet even incorporates into the vehicle mode to allow it to simulate the Jackhammer's attack mode! Loving this so much.

This one I didn't buy, but it unlocked a memory I didn't realize that I had:
condor.jpg

A sticker set based on the car from the obscure Disney Condorman movie. I have extremely vague memories of having seen this on the Disney Channel as a child.

lightsyder

Citizen
Damn, I don't buy many Toyhax sticker sets, but this one got me. They made stickers to turn any of the Autobot 5 Pack into new characters, and this one in particular was an insta-buy:

View attachment 21690
View attachment 21691

Stickers and a new head to turn my extra Trailbreaker into the V.E.N.O.M. Jackhammer! The new helmet even incorporates into the vehicle mode to allow it to simulate the Jackhammer's attack mode! Loving this so much.

This one I didn't buy, but it unlocked a memory I didn't realize that I had:
View attachment 21692

A sticker set based on the car from the obscure Disney Condorman movie. I have extremely vague memories of having seen this on the Disney Channel as a child.
Oh, that's kinda cool. Are there sets for Jazz and Wheeljack too?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well crap. That Jackhammer is incredible. I was about to list my extra for sale but now I might wind up spending more money on him!

Right? he was the one out of the pack that I was absolutely going to get rid of. Wheeljack I was undecided on which version I wanted to keep, but Trailbreaker was already packing his bags. Then this thing happened and I'm out another 20 bucks.

Haywire

Citizen
Maybe Hasbro could give accessory sets another try, but throw a Core in the box instead of a Deluxe.
Personally, I think some "Versus" packs would be the way to go; get an Autobot, Guardian, or Maximal vs a Decepticon, Renegade, Quintesson, or Predacon Core figures , throw in a couple accessories for a MacGuffin and maybe a cardboard diorama, and bring back the Battles in a Box!

Haywire

Citizen
I know most fans resort to online shopping now, but I still lean retail.

I have never seen a single core class Dinobot on the shelf. Ever. At any store.

Let that sink in. Multiple nearby Walmart and Meijer stores. Even when visiting Target locations in bigger towns.

Zero Dinobots. Plenty of that Pretender character though.

I lean heavily toward this being a distribution issue. I know Hasbro can’t fix the “assortment” policy retail demands of them. But if your toys don’t make it to shelves…yeah, it’s gonna fail.

I also tend to lean on retail (partly because I work in retail, and don't appreciate the whole "everything's cheaper/better/plentiful online" attitude), and I will say that while I have seen a couple of the Core Dinobots in stores, they have been pretty scarce. Target has been better than Walmart in my area. Walmart got those wave 1 Core assortments in for Christmas (after clearancing them out once for $3-5), and never really moved any after that.

Unfortunately, there's not a great solution here; but I agree, a lot of Hasbro's new Transformers have not been getting to shelves very well lately, particularly Core class.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I think a lot of toymakers underestimate how much a kid and their parents enjoy being able to buy one package that contains everything you need to start an adventure.

Top Bottom