Transformers Legacy toyline

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Also, Hasbro has stated that their primary source of influence for the Armorizers was not the Rock Lords. That was just one of their influences, but a minor one rather than the main one. The main inspiration was the rock aliens of the planet Daira from an episode of Transformers: The Headmasters.

HM32_Daniel_faces_rock_creature.jpg

HM32_Sixshot_shoots_giant_rock_creature.jpg

Geocron's head is even directly based on that of the one in the first pic above, per Evan Brooks' designer commentary.

TF-Legacy-United-Core-Geocron.jpg

They're also deliberately designed with hollow concave torsos to indicate that they are non-Cybertronian alien lifeforms, with Mark Maher even pointing that they have no sparks. If anything, their home dimension being designated the "Infernac Universe" gives them closer ties to the Inhumanoids than not.

So, anyone calling them something as petty as "Not Lords" is, in and of itself, incredibly redundant since, like, of course they're not Rock Lords. They're no supposed to be!

They're name is "Armorizers". They are what they are.

Last edited:

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
That still doesn't have anything to do with Confuzor calling out PrimalxConvoy's juvenile refusal to call them by their proper name of "Armorizers".
See, I didn't even know there was a collective name for the subline (infraline? microline?) besides the aforementioned home stream. Which speaks either to my work-life balance being way too tilted or a failure of Hasbro marketing, take your pick.

I will say that over on the Mayhem Bakery thread, the interaction between PrimalxConvoy and myself has been quite pleasant. I shan't try to defend his every decision or utterance, but as I said above I viewed the recent one here in a neutral-to-favourable light, and others... didn't.

It was often similar, as I recall, with the late Neale Davidson. Make of that what you will.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
See, I didn't even know there was a collective name for the subline (infraline? microline?) besides the aforementioned home stream. Which speaks either to my work-life balance being way too tilted or a failure of Hasbro marketing, take your pick.
The name's on the box.

Pb97Up7.jpeg

AQpDE5E.jpeg

And in the Product Descriptions for each toy's online order pages.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
One for "work-life balance being out of whack", then, as I've only ever seen these guys out of the boxes posed for various things. And I haven't been able to justify toy shopping, local or online, in some time either. But that's as may be.

Now, if "Not-supposed-to-be-Gobots-Rock-Lords" are "Armorizers", then what do we call the companions to the Liokaiser components? (Besides C.O.M.B.A.T. Bots, if the Earth Wars mobile game is anything to go by....)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Now, if "Not-supposed-to-be-Gobots-Rock-Lords" are "Armorizers", then what do we call the companions to the Liokaiser components? (Besides C.O.M.B.A.T. Bots, if the Earth Wars mobile game is anything to go by....)
The ones that came with HasLab Deathsaurus were labeled "Chest Animals" (though, their original Japanese name still remains as "Breast Animals"). Or do you mean some other companions besides the little beasts that form the Breastforce's chestplates and weaponry?

Blot

Citizen
I will say that over on the Mayhem Bakery thread, the interaction between PrimalxConvoy and myself has been quite pleasant. I shan't try to defend his every decision or utterance, but as I said above I viewed the recent one here in a neutral-to-favourable light, and others... didn't.
I'm impressed you managed to read as many PrimalxConvoy posts as you have and haven't heard him say "Not[name]" for any character that isn't G1 before. He does it pretty much unprompted.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I'm impressed you managed to read as many PrimalxConvoy posts as you have and haven't heard him say "Not[name]" for any character that isn't G1 before. He does it pretty much unprompted.
As above, I read that formula in regards to Cybertron Metroplex, though it was unclear to me at the time if he was comparing the character to G1 Metroplex and finding him wanting, or if he was comparing the Legacy toy to the Cybertron toy and finding that wanting. The latter is what I inferred, but... Well, as I've also said, mostly we've been talking about Japanese culture (as he lives there and I've been posting Miley Watanabe's explanatory videos).

Last edited:

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
The ones that came with HasLab Deathsaurus were labeled "Chest Animals" (though, their original Japanese name still remains as "Breast Animals"). Or do you mean some other companions besides the little beasts that form the Breastforce's chestplates and weaponry?
I was indeed referring to Tigerchest et al. As they form armour plate it makes more sense to me to call the Breastars "Armorizers" in a modern line, rather than the Infernac Universe crew, but so it goes. 🙃

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Mayhem's topics, for better or worse, generally do not lend themselves to encouraging this particular brand of linguistic tomfoolery for the most part.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Well I would suggest the radical approach of acknowledging that the rock guys have "Armorizers" on their boxes and the BreastForce guys don't 😛

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
There's a "Mayhem Bakery Thread", and I'm in it? Also, I didn't know my own legacy was the main topic of choice here in this thread?

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen

For what its worth, the subtitles on the Victory DVDs from several years back tended to refer to Breastforce buddies as "Chestars". (Of course, they also chose to call the Breastforce "Chestforce". If it had been me, I would have just called them the Beastforce, which would both make sense and pair nicely with the Dinoforce)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
For what its worth, the subtitles on the Victory DVDs from several years back tended to refer to Breastforce buddies as "Chestars". (Of course, they also chose to call the Breastforce "Chestforce". If it had been me, I would have just called them the Beastforce, which would both make sense and pair nicely with the Dinoforce)
"Chestar" is the censored version of the original "Breastar", which was the alternate Japanese name for the Breast Animals, presumably the name that refers to their chestplate modes. The UK Australia DVDs kept the original "Breastar" name, while the U.S. DVDs from Shout! Factory used Hasbro's censored name.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Whoever was responsible for the Shout! subtitles is a coward.
hasbro on their way to completely misunderstand the damn point of subtitles
I feel like had those DVDs come out now, in the post-Aligned era of the brand where we can get faithful toys of Japanese characters like Metalhawk, Lio Convoy, Star Saber, and Deathsaurus, that their subtitles would have been far more faithful in their translation. Since the time they came out was when Hasbro was kicking off the Aligned continuity in full swing, trying to make as much of the brand's lore as consistent as possible across the board, rewriting the subtitles to heavily westernize all the names and terms, and to inject references from IDW1 and the Prime cartoon into subtitle scripts.

And, from watching a video of a SDCC panel where they first announced and showed off parts those DVDs, it seems the people in charge at Hasbro at the time had a pretty low opinion of the JG1 cartoons on their own, and may have thought that all the changes made to the subtitle scripts were "improvements". 😒

Top Bottom