Transformers Legacy toyline

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've come to warm to Skullgrin myself, a bit. I wish the robot mode were less blocky and a bit more organic, and I wish the altmode had managed to capture more of the angular wedge shape of the original. Of course, these may be at odds, and are tricky to balance.

In any case it's kind of funny how much of these current Pretenders are still "slap on altmode parts until they look like something".

(Also I kind of want to see those Energon Monsters now. Just make a batch of translucent Fossilizers to go with Skelivore and Tricranius -- lead with Wingfinger and either of the Wreckers retools.)

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Except that's not what his alt mode looked like. Legacy is literally just a brick with guns on it. The original has a actuall design, a real cockpit. It's slenderup front and thickens toward the back. The only think it gets right are the dual cannons uptop, the rear treads, and the weapons plugging in.

I was just taking the piss at how a majority of the original inner Pretender alt modes are just awkward yoga messes of sci-fi nonsense and how Legacy Skullgrin was more accurate to that as a concept than any level of actual accuracy to his own Whatever the Hell He Had Going On,

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Internet_20240807_101002.jpeg

Internet_20240807_101313_5.jpeg

Internet_20240807_101313_4.jpeg

Internet_20240807_101313_3.jpeg

Internet_20240807_101313_2.jpeg

Internet_20240807_101313_1.jpeg

Bot modes comparison.gif

Lion modes comparison.gif

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Possibly, even though I bought both versions, I think the original would be great with some paint details and gold paint. The TT version looks a little like the Okinawan dog statues, which just so happen to grace my local Okinawan bar near my flat.

IMG_20240807_214656.jpg

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Legacy retool:

3yrgcp93k94.jpg

Oh, wow.

I didn't hate the Legacy one, but I definitely prefer/want the one on the right.

As much as I love the idea of getting the 13 in toy form, it IS a bummer that they're going to suck up so many molds for the next two or so years. Maybe we'd get a Strika next year if they weren't doing the Fallen or another Alpha Trion.

1723056249951.gif

So all this talk of getting Beast Machines characters proper updates, no one brings up Nightscream?

The guy who's sole toy* was an oversized, lights-and-sounds, clear plastic monstrosity?

No getting HIM, not even a proper due, just A due?!

*Yeah, there was that McDonald's toy....

1723056698113.png

As convincingly as RiD Megatron's alt modes ever were, anyway.

Convincing enough, for some.

You're ascribing too much intent when the simpler explanation is that making pretenders with shells means basically making two figures that they'd be pressured by retailers to sell for the price of one. It'd be a budgeting nightmare when they have many other easier to design, more marketable characters.

The originals were just rubber molded figures. I say just do that again.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Oh, wow.

I didn't hate the Legacy one, but I definitely prefer/want the one on the right.

View attachment 22873

View attachment 22874

Convincing enough, for some.

The originals were just rubber molded figures. I say just do that again.
They could sell them like Prime Masters (or combiner wars Ultra Magnus) with (legend) sized figures combining (or just going inside) a larger transforming figure as its "armour".

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
It's kind of a hard gimmick to pull off in the modern world of toy design... and given the scaled down size of the whole thing it was going to be tiny anyway.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
The biggest trouble for Pretenders is the legs. With modern jointing, you can't just leave them empty and hollow directly connecting into the torso for extra space. On the other hand, Double Pretender Megatron/Grand Maximus's shell didn't use that space anyway and still fits a lot more than a core class inside it, and its not that big. So I don't doubt it can be done. The question is if it can be done as well as the original Mega Pretender. I myself have never seen how it actually operated, I should look that up on YouTube.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The biggest trouble for Pretenders is the legs. With modern jointing, you can't just leave them empty and hollow directly connecting into the torso for extra space. On the other hand, Double Pretender Megatron/Grand Maximus's shell didn't use that space anyway and still fits a lot more than a core class inside it, and its not that big. So I don't doubt it can be done. The question is if it can be done as well as the original Mega Pretender. I myself have never seen how it actually operated, I should look that up on YouTube.
I think they could do this way will all the pretenders, including the originally non-transforming ones like Skullgrin, Catilla, Bludgeon, etc.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They could sell them like Prime Masters (or combiner wars Ultra Magnus) with (legend) sized figures combining (or just going inside) a larger transforming figure as its "armour".
Sure, they could do that. They could do lots of things, but probably won't at this point.

I'm thinking of whatever would be quick, cheap, easy, and not leave a bunch of naked Decepticons wandering around peoples' homes in the dead of night.

Top Bottom