Transformers Legacy toyline

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
One key problem with Pretenders is this: take, say, Kingdom Core class Optimus Prime. The plastic blister bubble he comes in is essentially the shell. Asking for classic style Pretenders now is asking to take essentially that blister bubble (big enough to contain the Core class figure), but give it arms and legs and articulation and paint, and sell the entire package at retail. And even if that works out, you've still got a Core class figure that just doesn't interact as well with the rest of the line for most play needs. (And, of course, with all the parts-count and paint budget limitations of Core class.) Going smaller (Titan/Prime Masters) is even worse, and going bigger is even less of an option.

All for something that, as unluckiness points out, for most purposes (display in particular) doesn't even need the interior robot. Unless you're displaying the shell and inner robot side by side, which looks amazing but demonstrates precisely that one doesn't need to contain the other.

I think it could work as the successors to the Weaponizers. Make a robot that can reassemble into a vehicle or be disassembled into armor that is compatible with most figures but has extra functionality with their intended character. Release a deluxe Octopunch who turns into a crab and release deluxe Pretender™ Flotsam who turns into a boat and disassemble into gloves, boots chest armor and weapons that make Octopunch look like his shell. This also means you can put the diving bell helmet on other figures for lols.

Of course this isn't practical for every Pretender design.

This isn't a bad idea, sort of like the Beast Alliance armors or Cyberverse Spark Armor things. Bit difficult to juggle all those design needs though.

Alternatively, the shell could just be broken up into armor pieces and Centurions-attach onto the inner robot to give them the appearance of the shell. Rather than a budget albatross, the shell (armor set now) becomes a modular kit that can be marketed as mix-and-match with other Pretenders AND the rest of the 3mm/5mm peg-using line. They wouldn't need to integrate into the altmode at all, because the whole point is to armor up the robot mode. That's one less design requirement, and functionally not that different from most standard original Pretender shells anyway. (Pretender Vehicles could be more like Junkions, with the pieces armoring up and changing the vehicle mode from jet to car; Pretender Beasts could play with the inverse, making a regular wolf look like an armored wolf.)

I imagine this would still be a costly thing overall, especially if the inner robot was a Deluxe base to work with the rest of the line and have a decent budget for its own design. For instance, Deluxe Pretender Finback with fish monster armor pieces (boots, chestplate with ball-jointed helmet, back fin, arm blade, claw arm) would probably be a Voyager release.

Last edited:

Badgertron

Citizen
How about this, then. Turn core class into mini weaponizer/armourizers, which will be based on both Pretender inner robots, and Action master partners, which in turn can be used with the Deluxe class, which will be Action Master homages and don't transform, but are relatively standarized so all the little guy features can be used (Centurion style I guess). Voyagers and Leaders are based on Pretender shells and Mega Pretenders, where the little guys can store in the chests of the voyagers/leaders like power suits, and these larger figures can then transform into vehicles that the deluxe figures can pilot or ride around in. This way, everyone gets to play together.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd rather avoid "they don't transform". Action Master homages can be done a lot of ways: bring the partner figures back as Battle Masters or pack-in Targetmasters, some deco choices (Jazz with slate blue instead of black in places, Shockwave with orange arm gun and chest panel), or best of all, make more new, transforming Action Master-original designs (Powerflash, Rollout, Take-Off, Charger, Gutcruncher, regular retail Kick-Off, etc).

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
They're okay, but they try to do too much in a tiny package and don't do any of them all that great. They were Pretenders, AND Targetmasters, AND (some of) the Thirteen, AND power-up blocks to stick in the combiners (or really dumb Headmasters).

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
They’re okay, I have all the retail ones and the Primal scepter ones, but when you’ve bought one, you’ve bought them all.

Sticking logos on combiner feet isn’t all that interesting.

Last edited:

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Why am I more excited for the Legacy G1 Prime then Commander?
Same. I'm quite content with ER Prime and skipped Missing Link, so Legacy G1 Prime looks like a fun exploration of the concept "what if just G1 but with joints?" whereas Commander Prime offers me nothing but something I don't need (have ER Prime) or want (slavish Sunbow deco).

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen

Because the Legacy G1 Prime won't cost you an

PXL_20240809_024706298.MP.jpg

and a

PXL_20240809_024724882.MP.jpg

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Am I the only one who had no problem with the POTP Pretenders? They're adorable.
They're not my preferred implementation by any stretch, but I do like them. In particular, I'm glad that we got at least the Masterforce Decepticon trio. They work well enough for how they were portrayed in the show, with the shells being basically human sized. It's a shame Waverider never got released.

MrBlud

Citizen
Minicons are the natural endpoint of the Pretender idea.

A second complete robot that integrates into the vehicle mode and can be wielded by the robot.

All of the pluses of the “idea” and none of the weaknesses.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Because it exceeds the expectations it sets for itself. It's "just" a Deluxe and looks deceptively simple because of the G1 toy styling. But then it comes with two blasters, the energon ax, and the Matrix.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I have one on preorder, but I really wish they went for chrome vs rubber tires. I have no idea how budget works out but I’d take something instantly visible va having to do a touch test.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Am I the only one who had no problem with the POTP Pretenders? They're adorable.
I liked them, myself, though I wish we'd gotten a Waverider to finish the Autobot set. I even liked their Targetmaster modes (but then, I would. Never met a Targetmaster I didn't like.). My only quibble is, instead of the Prime emblems, I wish the inner robots sported the heads of the original Pretenders so they could have functioned like the Titanmasters as "spare" heads for other Transtectors. Obviously, that wouldn't have jived with the whole "Thirteen" shtick very well, but I think it would have made them a more satisfying Pretender homage.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If they release a nicer version later I'll double dip. I'm willing to take that risk. I'll throw V1 in a bin and my V2 will have four blasters and two energon axes.

Top Bottom