Transformers Legacy toyline

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
So I got Studio Series '86 Springer

Which I know isn't part of this line BUT getting him made re-arrange some of my Wreckers and I just gotta say... I know he's not strictly the Prime aesthetic... but Legacy Bulkhead is FUN.

And seeing as I never cared about the names on boxes (Shockblast, Solar Storm Grapple, Tankor instead of Octane, etc...) I can get over that his box says "Prime Universe" and just enjoy him as a G1 take on a character who was awesome in Animated and Prime.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I kinda dig it but I'm waiting for a character that looks better wearing it. So far for Bulkhead and Breakdown I prefer the originals. I'd try to repurpose the Breakdown (if only to justify the cost of the 2-pack; mainly getting it for Windsweeper and friends) but no ideas there.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'll give the mold's usage as Breakdown this: At least Prime Breakdown's more blocky robot mode silhouette is a better match for that mold than Prime Bulkhead's more rounded robot mode shape.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll the mold's usage as Breakdown this: At least Prime Breakdown's more blocky robot mode silhouette is a better match for that mold than Prime Bulkhead's more rounded robot mode shape.
The side by sides I've seen do show that this captures the sheer width and mass of that character. With better proportions for the lower body too. So that helps. (But, again, already fine with the current/existing Breakdown...)

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Breakdown is better than Bulkhead but still far from ideal. the standard is set higher now but he’s like one of the less well-thought out Botcon exclusives.

Except his head isn’t tiny lol

Last edited:

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I have the Star Convoy from a few years ago, and I love him. But I wouldn't say no to a better version.

One of my favorite Optimus molds is the Prime First Edition. That's another one that I would be curious how a modern update would be beneficial to the original.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I finally found a picture of the original Dinoking and shells, and while I knew his components were Micromaster sized and made for a very small combiner, I hadn't realized HOW small he was compared to his shells:

sq770y_1312726319-jpg.27537247

The thing is, this might throw a monkey-wrench in my idea of restoring Pretender functionality 'Pretender Beast' style with robot dinos inside cyborg dinos, as the shells are VERY large for what they hold. I imagine this could be improved, but why were they so comparatively big in the first place? Remaking them either 3rd party or 3-D print would either way probably cost more than I expected.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They don't look THAT much bigger than the Monster shells that Monstructor came with. By the time you make a cavity large enough for the inner figure, add a minimum wall thickness for the outer shell, then give that shell limbs, a head, etc, it's going to end up pretty big.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I have a couple parts of Monstructor, and while those shells are a bit more compact, they're still a lot bigger than the actual robot.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
That's part of why I want to get some matching shells if I can, I love how they looked and wanted a 'modern' version. I still want a Dinoking set if I can swing it anyway, but now I'm not sure if my idea can be pulled off in a cost-effective way.

Blot

Citizen
Star Convoy is a fun design.

If you've never handled the original or the reissue, it's a treat.
I need to commit to buying Reprolabels for mine. The stickers on the reissue get this ugly tarnished look over time even MISB, and even for as small as it is, it'll bug me. Ideally the Reprolabels won't have that issue, but eesh, that pricetag.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So much goes into a Pretender shell. Almost to the point that holding the robot inside is the least of its worries (basically "have a big enough cavity"). It'll need to have enough heft/thickness in parts to stand well while carrying a folded-up chunk in it. It'll need to be interesting enough in looks that it helps sell the package. And the demands for plastic and paint for even a mostly-static figure like that are not insignificant.

I really hope some enterprising outfit out there can work on the Monstructor or Dinoking shells, because they look so damn cool. But like Platypus Prime, I'm also reminded here about how much that's likely going to run.

(I wonder if they could design/market the Dinoking shells as Dino-Riders designs or have those as built-in redecos to help defray the mold cost.)

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I had at one time given some thought to painting up some Zuru Dino Strike figures as the Dino King shells:

dino strike.jpg

They're no larger than the Core Class toys, so there's no way to use them as real shells, but they could be swapped in a display or whatever. Sadly, there's no sauropod, so the plesiosaur would have to do for Rairyu.

Top Bottom