Transformers Legacy toyline

Shadewing

Citizen
I guess he really wanted the truck to be black and purple.

yTD4Ve7.jpeg

He was also known to be a very notoriously stubborn man (he was quite rude to me once at a BotCon just because I had one opinion that he didn't share).

Yes, which again, is Motormaster;s FEET. And then you shove a head on that FEET based body that comes from his trailor Body that no longer exists. So its just some ******* random grey box cuase G1.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I mean: botcon had at least the excuse of a limited run that needed to be accessibly priced for con-goers. I know repaints are a cultural thing in japan, but it's a main line toy with a general release. At least remold him a bit.
I mean, they DID give him a new head, but I get what you're saying. I blame Hasbro for that. They've elevated the standards of what a "retool/repaint" can be, that when we DO get stuff like Motormaster and Geocron, it feels disappointing.

Even keeping the changes to a limit, changing the ax to a hammer or staff and changing the lightbar would have gone MILES to helping differentiate between the two.
If they unnecessarily remolded him just to make him different when even the original figure was not, then I'd be pretty annoyed because that budget could have been put towards Slipstream or one of the other "misses the mark" figures we've gotten this year.
I'm not sure that's how Hasbro figure budgeting works. I was under the impression they budget per "assortment" not, necessarily, per "line". So, whatever they would or would not have done in the Voyager assortment would not have impacted the deluxe assortment.

Also, for those curious, Rescue Bots Chase will be the carryover in United wave 4.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Shadewing's got a point, but it's just something Transformers does. Like Megatron having a P38 hammer on his shoulders no matter what he turns into.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And, well, these criticisms were already made back in 2011 when the design was first made. It's been 13 years since then.

Badgertron

Citizen
Whatever happened to "this is a different version of that character, and thus can have slightly different proportions of his standard three colours"? I think Motormaster looks great. As for the new core rock guy, they could have picked any colour and they picked one not very different from the first go, kindof disappointing. I wish all these 'izers were released in more colourways.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I know he matches the comic (and I love it) but Flame sure looks like Rodimus to me. I even said over on the Discord that I can see someone slapping a Rodimus head on him and little else would need to change.
I've always been a little surprise that no connection has been drawn between the two.

Then again, comics Hot Rod was purple, so...
Hmm… While the mold choices might not be stellar, I mainly want these for the characters. Xaaron also technically gives us a Primus figure too. Since he uses Xaaron as he avatar for a bit.

You know, til Unicron eat him. :)

You're misremembering...

1718351790939.jpeg

The Soundwave set is pretty shitty and exploitative way to put out Buzzsaw, but it's flat out unbelievable that they put in Rumble/Frenzy instead of Laserbeak. That means to have a full set of the Earth mode tapes you *had to* buy Netflix Soundwave too, and those who missed that set have no sourcing for Laserbeak.

That's pretty low even for Hasbro.
I'm not really surprised, at this point. Hasbro is treating their whole business like a game of limbo at this point.
This is the weirdest conversation I've ever seen in this fandom, after years and years and years of people rabidly demanding more and more accuracy to the source material.
Somehow, it always comes down to feet.

Blot

Citizen
Shadewing's got a point, but it's just something Transformers does. Like Megatron having a P38 hammer on his shoulders no matter what he turns into.
My favorite of these will always be Cybertron Downshift because he was a toy-only complete redesign of the Energon character that only retained the head from the previous look... and the Lancia Stratos front end feet, which someone decided were really important to the character.

Shadewing

Citizen
Whatever happened to "this is a different version of that character, and thus can have slightly different proportions of his standard three colours? I think Motormaster looks great. As for the new core rock guy, they could have picked any colour and they picked one not very different from the first go, kindof disappointing. I wish all these 'izers were released in more colourways.

What it comes down to for me, is that the whole thing with Animated Motormaster is that he aesthetically stupid looking, with a mismatching head and body. It looks like someone grabbed one of the headshots from the Almanacs and then just stuck it on a random body and called it a day. Nothing about the head feels like it actually belongs on that body; when the body is entirealy Black and Purple, and the head has a random gray box around it. There is no logical design cohesion between the body and the head.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Please do not take this as an insult to those who do like Animated, but I have just never liked the Motormaster design because I hate Animated aesthetics. The only animated toy I still have in my possession is a heavily customized Arcee figure that I turned into a new character with Prime Airrachnid's head.

That being said, I can respect what they were trying to do with him. They were trying to give him this big, bulky persona of a wrestler (which I despise wrestling as well so that's another negative against him) which I think they did a decent job with back with the original BotCon design. Hasbro was just trying to stay faithful to that original design, which even if you question the aesthetics, I think they did a good job of.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The box kinda makes me think of Scott Steiner's chainmail hood. Wrong wrestler (and Steiner's a dick), but I can at least sorta make a connection.

Still not buying it because I don't care about the character, though.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Please do not take this as an insult to those who do like Animated, but I have just never liked the Motormaster design because I hate Animated aesthetics. The only animated toy I still have in my possession is a heavily customized Arcee figure that I turned into a new character with Prime Airrachnid's head.

That being said, I can respect what they were trying to do with him. They were trying to give him this big, bulky persona of a wrestler (which I despise wrestling as well so that's another negative against him) which I think they did a decent job with back with the original BotCon design. Hasbro was just trying to stay faithful to that original design, which even if you question the aesthetics, I think they did a good job of.

I liked the design style at the time and thought it was a refreshing playful take on the usual G1 designs, and the epic cartoon series really helped make me enjoy the characters more. I ended up getting almost every toy in the line. However, this Motormaster is just not for me.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Animated Motormaster being Macho Man lets him stand alongside POTP Rodimus Unicronus Evil Lemmy. But i’m with on probably not buying it. Neat figure.

Bound by the original design sure, but bolting an MM box head onto Animated Prime looks odd. If he didn’t have the box hesd, he’d actually look better.

Of the Legacy Animated figures, i have both Prowl and Prime, undecided on Bee. The onky og Animacted figure I own is the Takara version of Hot Rod/Rodimus, because the metallic paint deco is beautiful.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I'd love to see [Tarantino's] take on a Transformers film, lol! It would probably have a lot of dialogue, very little transforming, and would feature a scene in which Jazz and Blaster argue over the best music from the 70s.
Also, Jazz would (as in Alternators) go by his Japanese name of Meister, because it is cool. And Japanese.

I have a feeling the viewpoint character would be someone typically viewed as minor like Daytrader or Transit, though. Watching them navigate (or possibly actively avoid in Transit's case) the conflict on Earth to provide a different perspective on the usual story.

Top Bottom