Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - New Toy Official Images!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This continues to look good. I am concerned about how they are going to do Megatron's turn to tyranny right in one film.

Undead Scottsman

Citizen
Aside from the middle finger joke, I felt that was honestly good. And I'm a sucker for a modernization of the original theme (probably the most shocking thing about the Bay movies, honestly).

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out in the end.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Let's be real. The (arguably) most iconic version of Megatron had the most simplistic origin of them all: He literally woke up on an operating table surrounded by a bunch of green and purple dudes, ran outside, and started shooting people. That's it.
Green and purple dudes that he had to reprogram into evil first, after he built them on another planet four million years later.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Let's be real. The (arguably) most iconic version of Megatron had the most simplistic origin of them all: He literally woke up on an operating table surrounded by a bunch of green and purple dudes, ran outside, and started shooting people. That's it.
When you put it that way, it seems more fitting for his copy to do that....

Unless there was another act to "Forever is a Long Time Coming" we didn't see, or something. Say, where was Brainstorm during that episode....?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I want to believe. I'm not seeing any red flags with this trailer. This might be good. But I'm skeptical, and I just can't shake it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Thew Adams has given his early thoughts on the movie:
Caught an advance screening of Transformers One and can confirm it is a DELIGHT. Absolutely tremendous fun, a wonderful love letter to the franchise and a stellar introduction for new fans! You guys are gonna LOVE it 😭😭😭 Full review coming soonish!! Here's me getting punched by both of them 👇

w7pjc3859r7.webp

KingSwoop

Citizen
I want this to be inoffensive and fun, but from the trailer I think it's kitbashing the G1 Quintesson occupation/enslavement with the IDW "The Primes/Autobots are real d-bags, but... oh no... Megatron has gone TOO FAR in opposing fascism!" backstory.

The IDW story never made sense to me. If Sentinel Prime is a fascist bigot oppressing people, and Megatron keeps assassinating the Primes until Optimus shows up, why the hell doesn't Optimus just say "You won. Good job. You killed the bad guys. War over, let's all go home."

I imagine there can be some sensible disagreement about who gets executed at The Hague after everyone's free, but you're telling Optimus is up for a War Without End because Megatron wants to kill Cardassian collaborators and Optimus is a little skittish on the matter? Optimus, they're collaborators - if it was up to you alone, you might turn the other cheek, but it's not up to you alone - everyone was enslaved and violated, and they might not want to forgive and forget. They might want justice. For all intents and purposes, Optimus takes over for Adolf, wears the same uniform, and says "This symbol stands for freedom, which is the right of all sentient beings." No, Optimus, whatever it used to stand for, it doesn't stand for that now. Surrender to the allies. Let the fighting stop.

TLDR: Megatron might not be right, but he's close enough that I wouldn't spend the rest of my life in a protracted planet-killing civil war over it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I want this to be inoffensive and fun, but from the trailer I think it's kitbashing the G1 Quintesson occupation/enslavement with the IDW "The Primes/Autobots are real d-bags, but... oh no... Megatron has gone TOO FAR in opposing fascism!" backstory.
It's based on the Aligned lore of the Quintessons invading/taking over Cybertron and the later event of Orion Pax and Megatron working together to reform the oppressive High Council and the societal stagnation of the caste system, combining the two events together so that it's the Quintessons instead of the Council that the two are working together against.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The more I see of this, the more excited I get! This might be the first Transformers movie I see in the theater since AoE.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen

The IDW story never made sense to me. If Sentinel Prime is a fascist bigot oppressing people, and Megatron keeps assassinating the Primes until Optimus shows up, why the hell doesn't Optimus just say "You won. Good job. You killed the bad guys. War over, let's all go home."

I imagine there can be some sensible disagreement about who gets executed at The Hague after everyone's free, but you're telling Optimus is up for a War Without End because Megatron wants to kill Cardassian collaborators and Optimus is a little skittish on the matter? Optimus, they're collaborators - if it was up to you alone, you might turn the other cheek, but it's not up to you alone - everyone was enslaved and violated, and they might not want to forgive and forget. They might want justice. For all intents and purposes, Optimus takes over for Adolf, wears the same uniform, and says "This symbol stands for freedom, which is the right of all sentient beings." No, Optimus, whatever it used to stand for, it doesn't stand for that now. Surrender to the allies. Let the fighting stop.

TLDR: Megatron might not be right, but he's close enough that I wouldn't spend the rest of my life in a protracted planet-killing civil war over it.
That's one of my major issues with the IDW1 continuity, is that they were so enamoured with their "Megatron is a revolutionary against fascism" idea that the eventual turn to get us to "Decepticons are the bad guys Autobots are the good guys" felt muddled.
And maybe moral ambiguity was the... oh no wait. Megs goes on to commit genocide countless times over and has a Space Auschwitz. NEVER MIND.

So I do share this concern with you.

But it is notable that IDW2 flipped it all on its head for its brief run and made Sentinel Prime actually kind of a peace loving guy (on a galactic scale at least) and Megs a straight up fascist upset at the "stagnation" Sentinel's Autobots represented (ie they aren't letting us kill and oppress other species).

And we really don't know what angle Skybound's continuity will take for the origin of the Autobot-Decepticon War.

And I mean... Sentinel Prime is in this movie and has an A-list voice actor. So I suspect we'll get a fair amount of insight into pre-war politics, and I don't think it's a given that'll be a straight retelling of IDW1's muddled story.

If it's more Aligned with maybe some IDW2 tossed in I think it'll work.

Shadewing

Citizen
That's one of my major issues with the IDW1 continuity, is that they were so enamoured with their "Megatron is a revolutionary against fascism" idea that the eventual turn to get us to "Decepticons are the bad guys Autobots are the good guys" felt muddled.
And maybe moral ambiguity was the... oh no wait. Megs goes on to commit genocide countless times over and has a Space Auschwitz. NEVER MIND.

We either die the hero, or live long enough to become the villian.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
We either die the hero, or live long enough to become the villian.
I'd buy that (the Soviets rebelled against the Tsar with good intentions before setting up prison camps and a police state of their own) except that IDW1 comes around again and wants me to feel sorry for the guy who waged multiple campaigns of genocide and had a space death camp.

Like... I don't care how well intentioned IDW1 Megs was at the start, or how he felt really sorry when he saw the blue flowers, that guy is guilty of all the war crimes.

Undead Scottsman

Citizen

IDW Megatron is a "those who fight monsters should take care to not become one themselves" situation. While he started off with pure intentions, the depravity of the existing corrupt regime (Remember, they tried to have a pacifist Megatron beaten to death for his beliefs) pushed him to abandon those lofty ideals, and by the time he successfully takes out the Senate he's in full on despot mode: He'll rule Cybertron or he'll make sure nobody does.

Optimus is forced to fight against him because Megatron refused to stop after the Senate fell. Megatron essentially became the very thing he was fighting against, a corrupt, brutal authoritarian regime.

Top Bottom