Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - New Toy Official Images!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Ah, I missed seeing that part in the movie. Friend had to tell me what happened at the start up until they went to a cave.

I only really recognized two voices from the main cast. Thor was fine. Keegan, well, I don't like that personality for Bee.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have not seen a single miss for me from anything that has come out about this movie so far. Every single thing has hit the right nerve for me from the visuals, to the story (that we know of so far), and even the comedy. I'm still trying to not get too excited about it for fear of overhyping it in my brain, but it's hard not to.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
His voice is perfect for Starscream. This is the best casting choice.

It's a bit of a spoiler though. Assuming this movie spawns any ongoing continuity, we already know this Starscream is going to die horribly.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's a bit of a spoiler though. Assuming this movie spawns any ongoing continuity, we already know this Starscream is going to die horribly.
Yeah. By Shia LaBeouf.
Dotm_Starscream_BOOM.jpg

😜

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
His voice is perfect for Starscream. This is the best casting choice.

I haven't seen the movie but I suspect guys like Shockwave, Soundwave, and Starscream live since they're top tier names and ideally this thing wants to kick off a franchise. Not gonna kill all the A-list guys in the origin story.

Yeah. By Shia LaBeouf.
I know this was mostly in jest, but the more I think about it the more I think this will, if it's successful at least, diverge from the live action continuity. If it's a success the creative team will want to tell its own story and not worry about tying it to the Bay films, or even necessarily BB-RotB.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I know this was mostly in jest, but the more I think about it the more I think this will, if it's successful at least, diverge from the live action continuity. If it's a success the creative team will want to tell its own story and not worry about tying it to the Bay films, or even necessarily BB-RotB.
In all seriousness, just looking at the trailers alone, it looks be ignoring all four of the sequel films, at the very least.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I suspect the production went like this:

One was intended to be a Bayverse prequel very early on. But then TLK tanked and BB did okay, and One was quietly retooled into its own thing. Nobody told Lorenzo or TFWiki.

Hasbro got big dreams again, and the retooled One was intended to launch a grand new continuity that would include Earthspark. But the film got delayed so bad that we ended up getting Earthspark first. This is why Earthspark feels so much like a sequel to something we never saw. It is.

Earthspark flopped, maybe in part because it never got its buildup. Hasbro has abandoned their plans for it, and so nobody's mentioning it in One's marketing. If One does well they'll use it to launch a new universe, but for now it's in limbo.

They still haven't told Lorenzo. Or TFWiki.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Nobody told Lorenzo or TFWiki.
They still haven't told Lorenzo. Or TFWiki.
Oh, we're fully aware of the TF One continuity situation over at the wiki (some of our users even got to see the film early in its European preview release). We just can't do anything about it until the movie's widespread release.

And even then, if it does prove to be a brand new continuity, it's very likely we'll still consider it the same "continuity family", like how the G1 cartoon, Machinima's Prime Wars Trilogy cartoon, and Netflix's WFC Trilogy cartoon are all separate "continuities" within the larger "Generation 1 continuity family".

It's been discussed that we move the "Live-action film series" page to a new title like "Paramount film series" in order properly to account for TF One being an animated film. We just have to get a full consensus on the new name, as some other suggestions have been thrown around.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Not to turn this into a Wiki discussion but I think there's value in lumping BB and RotB in with the Bay movies. They all share very similar aesthetics even if characters do get redesigns. And it's not like the five Bay films had the most rock solid continuity among themselves.

TF One, though, seems to be a different beast because it's so different from any of the movies. New designs, new vibe, new voice cast. It really does feel disconnected from everything else released under Paramount, even if a few of the same people are involved.
Even if you do view it as just a prequel to the first Bay movie, you'd have to discard all the prequel material for that film anyway. And you'd have to hope that the AllSpark plays a role since the AllSpark was the central element to the first film.

And even then... if this thing makes money they're likely going to treat it as a starting point for a new series of movies with no regard for "well we have to make sure it fits with the 2007 movie"

I think there are deeper questions that might be fun to ponder like "what constitutes a continuity family, really?" but that could lead to IDW getting broken off as its own thing so it's probably best to not think too hard on it 😛

Hasbro got big dreams again
Not to be too hard on Hasbro- that's what TFW 2005 and TJ Omega are for- but I think Hasbro always kinda faceplants when it gets these grand notions and probably needs to learn to just slow their role a tad.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Not to turn this into a Wiki discussion but I think there's value in lumping BB and RotB in with the Bay movies. They all share very similar aesthetics even if characters do get redesigns. And it's not like the five Bay films had the most rock solid continuity among themselves.

TF One, though, seems to be a different beast because it's so different from any of the movies. New designs, new vibe, new voice cast. It really does feel disconnected from everything else released under Paramount, even if a few of the same people are involved.
Full disclosure, I'm mostly just playing Devil's advocate at the moment. Even just having seen only the trailers and not the movie itself, I fully recognize how different this movie is and, rest assured, it will undoubtedly open the doors for further conversation about how its contents are to be organized on the wiki.

Even if you do view it as just a prequel to the first Bay movie, you'd have to discard all the prequel material for that film anyway.
How so? Judging from all that's been shown by the trailers, there doesn't seem to be anything at odds with either Bumblebee or ROTB. They're even keeping the name "B-127" from Bumblebee.

And you'd have to hope that the AllSpark plays a role since the AllSpark was the central element to the first film.
It really wouldn't surprise me if the AllSpark does turn up at some point in either this movie or a sequel, since it's pretty integral to the Aligned backstory lore that TF One's story is so heavily based on.

I think there are deeper questions that might be fun to ponder like "what constitutes a continuity family, really?" but that could lead to IDW getting broken off as its own thing so it's probably best to not think too hard on it 😛
Yeah, there's definitely gonna be some talk on the wiki about whether or not TF One should remain in the same or a new family. Truth be told, the wiki tends to automatically default to a new family for every new cartoon series that starts over new, but it seems like the wiki is unwilling to do the same for any of the Paramount films. It'd probably have to take something pretty drastic for the wiki to classify a new movie in a new continuity family; the question being just what that drastic something would be. It's done for each new-continuity cartoon because of ease of organization, but if I'm being honest, I could see some compelling arguments for both Cyberverse and EarthSpark being reclassified as part of the Generation 1 continuity family, but the main pushback against that seems to mostly boil down to space and page size. As in, G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron's pages are both already pretty enormous, even likewise are their various subpages suited out from the main page.

There's a method to the madness at play, here, and TF One is definitely going to spark up some new madness.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
How so? Judging from all that's been shown by the trailers, there doesn't seem to be anything at odds with either Bumblebee or ROTB. They're even keeping the name "B-127" from Bumblebee.
I'm talking about the prequel material for the first film which depicts Optimus as the head of Cybertron's science academy and Megatron as the planet's "Lord Protector" before he decides he wants the AllSpark and kicks off the war.
This movie seems to depict Orion and D-16 as nobodies before assuming the mantels of Optimus Prime and Megatron which clashes with the backstory of the 2007 movie.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the AllSpark does turn up at some point in either this movie or a sequel, since it's pretty integral to the Aligned backstory lore that TF One's story is so heavily based on.
I have my doubts because while TF One seems to burrow a lot from Aligned it's not a 1:1 copy. Orion wasn't a miner in the Aligned canon for example. And I feel like if the AllSpark were central to the movie it would have featured in the trailers by now.
I may be wrong. It may be involved. I'm just saying that if it isn't it's going to be impossible to reconcile this movie with the 2007 film.

And I guess that's my outlook. If this thing makes money they're going to want to ride it as far as they can, and "well we have to respect the canon of the 2007 movie" won't be on anyone's mind making future stories set in One's continuity.

Yeah, there's definitely gonna be some talk on the wiki about whether or not TF One should remain in the same or a new family. Truth be told, the wiki tends to automatically default to a new family for every new cartoon series that starts over new, but it seems like the wiki is unwilling to do the same for any of the Paramount films. It'd probably have to take something pretty drastic for the wiki to classify a new movie in a new continuity family; the question being just what that drastic something would be. It's done for each new-continuity cartoon because of ease of organization, but if I'm being honest, I could see some compelling arguments for both Cyberverse and EarthSpark being reclassified as part of the Generation 1 continuity family, but the main pushback against that seems to mostly boil down to space and page size. As in, G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron's pages are both already pretty enormous, even likewise are their various subpages suited out from the main page.

There's a method to the madness at play, here, and TF One is definitely going to spark up some new madness.
I think it ultimately falls on creators and execs not caring about continuity as much as we do. I mean the Bay movies didn't even last one sequel before it was retconning itself.

They're given a chance to make a movie or show and they draw from other stuff that came before. Both Animated and Earthspark drew on the G1 show (or at least very G1 backstory animation) as wink to the past but got fans asking it was "in continuity"
Likewise I don't think anyone writing TF One was intentionally leaning on Aligned as much as they were just... referencing the most recent writeup for Optimus and Megatron's origins.

I don't say this to hate on the Wiki- they do good work for fans who want a place to find this information- but it just reminds me of the time someone at BlizzCon asked Chris Metzen what the Horde symbol represented and he had no idea. Sometimes fans think more about this stuff than creators do and it makes it messy to then try and categorize it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'm talking about the prequel material for the first film which depicts Optimus as the head of Cybertron's science academy and Megatron as the planet's "Lord Protector" before he decides he wants the AllSpark and kicks off the war.
This movie seems to depict Orion and D-16 as nobodies before assuming the mantels of Optimus Prime and Megatron which clashes with the backstory of the 2007 movie.
Oh, that tie-in stuff from IDW and the novels and such. Yeah, that all got chucked out the window as far back as AOE, and even further buried in the ground by TLK. That stuff only applies to the first three films and not really anything else.

I have my doubts because while TF One seems to burrow a lot from Aligned it's not a 1:1 copy. Orion wasn't a miner in the Aligned canon for example. And I feel like if the AllSpark were central to the movie it would have featured in the trailers by now.
I may be wrong. It may be involved. I'm just saying that if it isn't it's going to be impossible to reconcile this movie with the 2007 film.
Oh, I don't think it'll be central to this movie's plot, just that it could be seen or mentioned, possibly as setup for a sequel film. At the very least, I'm half-expecting someone to swear "By the AllSpark!" if nothing else.

And yeah, I know it's definitely not a 1:1 copy of the Aligned lore, but neither were Cyberverse or Netflix's WFCT cartoon. Yet, it is clear that both of them also adapted the Aligned lore. This movie is likewise another adaptation.

Likewise I don't think anyone writing TF One was intentionally leaning on Aligned as much as they were just... referencing the most recent writeup for Optimus and Megatron's origins.
Oh, Josh Cooley was definitely given a peek at the Binder to work from it. He's said as much in multiple interviews.

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm guessing how the film story is going to play out is that it starts with the major battle between Autobots and Decepticons and we then see a flashback to the days when Orion & D16 were friends and they go on the rescue mission that leads them to Alpha Trion who grants them the power to Transform and they start the rebellion against their oppressors but Orion & D16 have different ideas of how to go forwards after the Quintasons have been overthrown and its the two to clash and that will be the final battle of the movie with D16 having betrayed his old friend, defeated, but left to live because Orion cannot bring himself to kill his old friend at that point in time as he owes him! Thus D16, gets to live and form the Decepticons to oppose the Autobots, then the sequel can be about Megatron's rise along with the Decepticons in general! If there is a third film, then is should be the Twilight of Cybertron and the exit from Cybertron in mass as Energon has become extremely hard to find after millions of years of war, forget the Allspark as a mugufin and just focus on the characters!

Top Bottom