Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - New Toy Official Images!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
So, most of our nearby Walmarts have done their toy aisle resets, and Transformers ONE is pretty solidly represented, but I've noticed a weird quirk: each of the Deluxe figures has their own hook(s). Optimus has one, B-127 has one, and Quintesson has one. Studio series ONE Optimus and 86 Bee also seem to have their own real estate on the mod. The price tags have the specific toys' names on them. This is also NOT the dedicated display box for TF:ONE toys and merch that seems to live near electronics, but the regular toy aisle.

Does anyone have the inside scoop on this? Is Walmart getting solid cases of single figures this season, or is this some weird temporary thing to tie in with TF:ONE? Target does not seem to be doing this (and I've seen deluxe Sentinel there, but not at WM). I'm mostly concerned about what this means for future figure releases; at the very least, we ought to be getting a Megatron and Elita-1 some time soon, but they don't seem to have a place on the current mod.

The normal mainline TF One toys getting their own personalized pegs, however, I'm less sure about. Maybe there are fewer toys in the line than the space Walmart has to fill in their Transformers toy section, and so are spreading out the individual figures to dedicated pegs in order to fill up the space.
So, this has actually been trending the past couple years (mostly in collector stuff like the reissues and Masters of the Universe), but this year is the first I’ve seen the phenomenon so widespread At physical retail. It’s amusing because it flies in the face of what we’ve been told (including from Hasbro) for over 30 years in terms of how retail WANTS the action figure department to work.

I need to send this question to Adam16bit (aka, Adam Pawlus from 16bit.com/Galactichunter) to get his retailer perspective, but here’s my take on it:
The broader action figure market has shifted to the point that the actual “kids toys” are starting to trend back to a paradigm of the 80s (a few figures available for a year or more with occasional refreshing). Adult Collector/Fans are becoming a much Bigger factor in action figure sales than they’ve ever been (I’ve seen some reports pegging ”us” as pushing 30+% of action figure sales). Because kids don’t buy as much or as many as they used to, I feel Walmart is trying to do some inventory control to manage margins. Instead of getting an assortment of Prime Changers (where one unpopular character could “kill” the line at a store due to inventory backlog), Walmart is basically just stocking what it feels will be the better sellers.
At my store (which doesn’t carry the “full spread”, mind you), most of the mid-tier and upper tier Transformers items are per character (Earthspark BB and Megs, Battlers Sentinel and BB, PC Prime, BB and Quintesson, A-Level Prime and BB). The only things NOT stocked per character are Legacy Deluxe and Voyager, Studio Series Deluxe and Voyager (aside from the aforementioned A-Level figures), Earthspark Tacticons and One Steps, TFOne 1 steps.

If you looked at Marvel and Star Wars, Walmart is basically doing something similar: Epic Hero figures are being stocked per figure (leading to some stores unlikely to GET some because Walmart isn’t stocking the figure. However, Walmart is stocking the Armor Darth Maul and BoKatan/Gideon story pack as their own items, which means all the wave 2 characters are still represented at this store), as are premium figures like Paz Visuala and A-Level items like MCU Iron Man, MCU Spider-Man, Black Mando, and Black Vader. But the standard collector stuff?
Marvel Legends, STar Wars Black, and Star Wars Vintage are all assorted. And all are also targeted to collectors, rather than kids.

There’s good and bad with how this trend may go: retail stores having more control could lead to better sales, leading to more support overall in this segment (up until this fall, my local Walmart’s action figure section was only half an aisle for the past decade. This year, they doubled it). But it also gives a LOT of control to retail toy buyers in determining what the make up of these lines end up being.
Interesting. So maybe the overflowing peg of Bumblebees shouldn't stop Walmart from ordering future waves of everyone else anymore.
Correct. Studio Series Bumblebee, however many may be there, won’t prevent the store from refreshing the Studio Series Deluxe assortment.
Unless you have piles of Airrazor and Wheeljack, then you got to just deal. Interestingly, in the little holiday section my store is putting together in the toy section, they have TWO SHELVES with tags for Studio Series 86 Bumblebee. We’ll see how that turns out.
From leaked listings, the current A-Level offerings SHOULD be available into next spring/summer. The next pair are an unknown Optimus Prime (DEV?) and TFOne Bumblebee, probably hit next summer.

Of course, this has the amusing effect of people on the internet claiming that “nothing (ie, all them kids toys) is selling” because “there’s just full pegs of the same thing”. Even though, that’s the POINT, now. And FWIW, I stopped by my local Walmart middle of last week and saw a bout a case worth of both A-level figures. This morning? All gone, so maybe there is some merit to all this :p

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Well the current "A-level" figures are pretty new. Once people start getting theirs, the velocity should slow, if not outright stop.

And my local finally started advance sales for the movie and I got a seat to the "Fan Event" on the 18th.

My seat: row D, seat 16.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As we continue with the 40th Anniversary Transformers celebration and closer to the release of the TRANSFORMERS ONE movie (Release date: September 18, 2024) we have another first look to show you highlighting everyone's favorite every-bot - Bumblebee courtesy of Hasbro. Keep reading for photos and a product description below! These will be available for pre-order starting on TRANSFORMERS DAY September 17.

TF-STUDIO-SERIES-DELUXE-CLASS-TF-ONE-BUMBLEBEE-B-127-2.png
TF-STUDIO-SERIES-DELUXE-CLASS-TF-ONE-BUMBLEBEE-B-127-1.png

TRANSFORMERS STUDIO SERIES DELUXE CLASS TRANSFORMERS ONE BUMBLEBEE (B-127)
(HASBRO | Ages 8 and Up | Approx. Retail Price: $24.99 | Available: Spring 2025)
Bring the epic action of the TRANSFORMERS movies from the big screen into your collection with the TRANSFORMERS Studio Series Deluxe Class Bumblebee (B-127) action figure! Inspired by the TRANSFORMERS ONE film, this 4.5-inch figure converts between robot and Cybertronian car mode in 18 steps. Features articulated heads, arms, and legs for action poses and comes with 2 Energon knives, 2 forearm blasters, and 1 blaster accessory. The forearm blasters and knives can attach to each other to create "knife hands" for Bumblebee (B-127). Look for more TRANSFORMERS Studio Series collectible figures to build a movie-inspired collection (each sold separately, subject to availability). Available for pre-order on TRANSFORMERS DAY, September 17 at 1PM EST on Hasbro Pulse and participating retailers.

transformers-day-logo.png

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's interesting that Orion Pax has a windshield to allow theoretical passengers/drivers to see out, but most of the others don't. Without having seen the movie, I don't know what relationship this continuity's Cybertronians have to any other race, but it seems like maybe this is a world where the vehicle modes aren't meant to be used by anyone other than the Transformer themselves.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's interesting that Orion Pax has a windshield to allow theoretical passengers/drivers to see out, but most of the others don't. Without having seen the movie, I don't know what relationship this continuity's Cybertronians have to any other race, but it seems like maybe this is world where the vehicle modes are meant to be used by anyone other than the Transformer themselves.
In the Aligned version of the Quintessons' occupation of Cybertron, the Exodus novel noted that Cybertronians having cockpits built into them for smaller lifeform passengers/operators was a remnant from when the Quints ruled Cybertron and rode around inside the enslaved Cybertronians, using them for transport and other day-to-day operations.

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
It's interesting that Orion Pax has a windshield to allow theoretical passengers/drivers to see out, but most of the others don't. Without having seen the movie, I don't know what relationship this continuity's Cybertronians have to any other race, but it seems like maybe this is a world where the vehicle modes are meant to be used by anyone other than the Transformer themselves.

I think its more a style choice than anything else by the people making the movie and Hasbro as they want Orion/Optimus to sort of look like his G1 self, while also looking alien, to get the very causal fans to know that his is Optimus prime and nothing more as from what I seen in the trailers, there are no smaller creatures on Cybertron and Orion & D16 are miners but it is kind of silly to the major fans, but then the Protoform Optimus for the 07 movie line, he had windows and Armada OP when he first appeared on screen, he had windows, even thou it was his first time on Earth, having only just arrived (I really want a toy made of that verison of OP, he just looked so frickin cool with a great first appearance, before later adopting his Earth mode, which is also pretty cool)

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Am I the only one that notices Elita's gun looks like the one from Deluxe Cyberverse/Earthspark Shockwave?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Am I the only one that notices Elita's gun looks like the one from Deluxe Cyberverse/Earthspark Shockwave?

While I don't own the toy, I compard images of the weapon, they are similar but not the same, there is a bunch of differences between the two, at least from what I can see, but as I said, I don't own that Shockwave, in fact I don't own any figures from Cyberverse or Earthspark as they haven't really grabbed my attention as shows, plus I am trying to slow down buying TFs as I already got a lot of figures and pretty much what I consider the best of the G1 cast along with a few others, of course BW also apart of my collection

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Excellent movie. Saw it in a nearly full theatre and the audience reacted well to it.
Even the jokes that seemed like red flags from the first trailer land much better in context.

But yeah. This thing is 100% incompatible with the live action film series.

It doesn't matter though. It's a brilliant, beautiful, stunning movie. This might just be my favourite version of Cybertron just based on aesthetics alone.

AgentOrange

Citizen
Excellent movie. Saw it in a nearly full theatre and the audience reacted well to it.
Even the jokes that seemed like red flags from the first trailer land much better in context.

It doesn't matter though. It's a brilliant, beautiful, stunning movie. This might just be my favourite version of Cybertron just based on aesthetics alone.
Same. And it actually feels like a place where people live!

Badassitron's payoff was great and so was A-A-Tron

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
604A8861-532D-4F06-86E6-7A07C6409D11.jpeg

Saw it tonight with my whole family.

I liked it a lot. It's really very good.

What stunned me is that my 16 year old son (who is not into Transformers at all) and my 10 year old daughter both loved it maybe more than me. Like the boy is in his room right now loudly raving about it to online friends. I'm as surprised as anyone.

-ZacWilliam, apparently he is now a huge Megatron fan. Didn't see that coming.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Saw it tonight, too. Two thumbs up for me.

I could see a sequel working to fit it back in with just the 2007 movie on its own, but yeah, I don't see that happening. There will be some serious talks on the Wiki about this coming next weekend.

Top Bottom