Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - New Toy Official Images!

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Okay. THAT is definitely a home video purchase.

but then, I own 2004's "Transformers: Energon", 2011's "Age of Extinction", 2014's "The Last Knight", AND THAT VERSION INCLUDES the Machima-produced "Combiner Wars" cartoon....

Soo....MAYBE that is not the best metric of quality.

But I since I got back from the "Early Access Screening", and still have the "Fan Event" on Wednesday, I'd say it is Really good.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
I could see a sequel working to fit it back in with just the 2007 movie on its own, but yeah, I don't see that happening.
The problem is that the backstory given in the first movie is all about the AllSpark giving life to Cybertron and Megatron starting the War to control it, which doesn't jive with TF One's backstory or plot at all.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Just finished watching this and it was really, really great. Absolutely beautiful. There is an after credit so stick around
Oh, with the post above, I thought you were talking about the Hasbro Pulse Con thing, and thought "Wow, that's the most positive reception I've seen to it."

...wait, I thought this movie wasn't due out until the 20th?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The way I see it, after seeing the movie for myself, the fans most likely to dislike this movie are those who feel strongly that The Transformers should be only ever be one particular way that should never be deviated from in their minds. Those with more open minds who are more accepting of different versions and different interpretations should easily be able to find this movie enjoyable.

This movie is one big love letter to the brand, paying much respect to the past 40 years of history while also trying to do its own original take on familiar ground. Without spoiling anything, let's just say I was pleasantly that a lot of my personal predictions about the movie's plot were proven incorrect, as it's a lot less similar to the specifics of the Aligned backstory lore than the trailers initially made it appear to be. The broadest of broad strokes are similar of course, but so much of this movie's plot was either completely new or given a new spin.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Those with more open minds who are more accepting of different versions and different interpretations should easily be able to find this movie enjoyable.
That's what (pleasantly) surprised me. I went in thinking this would be an Aligned retread. And while it does pull from Aligned to a degree, it pulls from a lot of other stuff too and tells a whole new take on the origin story with those elements. I was shocked at how fresh it was, and how unafraid it was to tell its own story.

Hell...
This movie single handedly makes me not hate the idea of "Megatronus Prime"
... which is an impressive effort considering how much I dislike that concept.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So, the trailers (and the movie itself, duh) showed what looked to be TF: Prime-styled Vehicons among the many background individuals seen in the movie. However, it turns out that they are not called "Vehicons" after all. This tweet from Blokees reveals what their actual name is:

Xd30ZyF.jpeg

They're "Death Trackers".

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Something interesting about the Thirteen in this movie...

So it appears that this movie made the decision to make Zeta Prime a member of the Thirteen. Not only that but it appears that Zeta is the one who had the Matrix when the Thirteen are killed, as he's the one Sentinel tries to get it from and whose body Orion initially recognizes before realizing the Matrix is gone.

Which is a strange choice as Zeta is not one of the Thirteen traditionally, just one of Optimus' predecessors as Prime. And, in his most fleshed out appearance, is a genocidal maniac.
Here, though, he's a member of Thirteen and depicted heroically, and worthy to carry the Matrix, which flat out refuses Sentinel.

It makes sense though. If you think about it... the traditional "thirteenth" member of the Thirteen is the Arisen, which Aligned made Optimus and later fiction made "whoever is holding the Matrix."
Neither idea works for this movie's version of the mythology, so if you decide not to use either of them then you essentially have one free slot in the Thirteen's roster. And the filmmakers chose Zeta to fill it.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Something interesting about the Thirteen in this movie...

So it appears that this movie made the decision to make Zeta Prime a member of the Thirteen. Not only that but it appears that Zeta is the one who had the Matrix when the Thirteen are killed, as he's the one Sentinel tries to get it from and whose body Orion initially recognizes before realizing the Matrix is gone.

Which is a strange choice as Zeta is not one of the Thirteen traditionally, just one of Optimus' predecessors as Prime. And, in his most fleshed out appearance, is a genocidal maniac.
Here, though, he's a member of Thirteen and depicted heroically, and worthy to carry the Matrix, which flat out refuses Sentinel.

It makes sense though. If you think about it... the traditional "thirteenth" member of the Thirteen is the Arisen, which Aligned made Optimus and later fiction made "whoever is holding the Matrix."
Neither idea works for this movie's version of the mythology, so if you decide not to use either of them then you essentially have one free slot in the Thirteen's roster. And the filmmakers chose Zeta to fill it.

My brain immediately went... "Ok there are the 12 of the 13 who are the Robots Who Primus Made, who advise, and then the 13th is like the Current President/King/Whatever who holds the matrix and leads the planet. 12 ancient guys and the Student Representative Prime who represents the modern TFs and that's who Zeta was."

-ZacWilliam, Not saying the movie supports that, it's just what my brain supplied seeing Zeta there.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, the movie's roster of the Primes is just the twelve named Primes from the Aligned Thirteen, plus Zeta as the 13th. His bearing the Matrix probably means that Prima's artifact is just the Star Saber by itself.

The movie also never calls them "the Thirteen", just "the Primes".

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Yeah, the movie's roster of the Primes is just the twelve named Primes from the Aligned Thirteen, plus Zeta as the 13th. His bearing the Matrix probably means that Prima's artifact is just the Star Saber by itself.

The movie also never calls them "the Thirteen", just "the Primes".
I don't mind it. I like the name "Zeta Prime" but in G1 he was just one of many spirit guides who didn't get much and in IDW he was part of the "every Prime except for Optimus is Bad Actually" direction that I didn't care for at all.
And The Arisen is dumb anyway so why not
just toss him in there? Hell, the Titans Return show name dropped Sentinel Prime as a member of the Thirteen so obviously different continuities are free to futz with the roster.

As for the artifacts... I think they needed the Matrix to be a separate thing from the Star Sabre for the story to work and giving it to Zeta allows for a "Zeta -> Sentinel -> Optimus" progression of "Prime" leaders. Funnily enough mirrors the Five Faces of Darkness lineage. I don't think that was intentional but it does work!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I don't mind it. I like the name "Zeta Prime" but in G1 he was just one of many spirit guides who didn't get much and in IDW he was part of the "every Prime except for Optimus is Bad Actually" direction that I didn't care for at all.
And The Arisen is dumb anyway so why not
just toss him in there? Hell, the Titans Return show name dropped Sentinel Prime as a member of the Thirteen so obviously different continuities are free to futz with the roster.

As for the artifacts... I think they needed the Matrix to be a separate thing from the Star Sabre for the story to work and giving it to Zeta allows for a "Zeta -> Sentinel -> Optimus" progression of "Prime" leaders. Funnily enough mirrors the Five Faces of Darkness lineage. I don't think that was intentional but it does work!
They probably used the name simply because Zeta is the most immediately preceding Matrix bearer before Optimus besides Sentinel, per both IDW1 and the WFC video game (I'm not counting the FFOD appearance since those names were a retcon based on IDW1 with a dash of Dreamwave tossed in).

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
They probably used the name simply because Zeta is the most immediately preceding Matrix bearer before Optimus besides Sentinel, per both IDW1 and the WFC video game (I'm not counting the FFOD appearance since those names were a retcon based on IDW1 with a dash of Dreamwave tossed in).
I know the Sunbow connection is probably not intentional but I still find it funny that it lined up as it did.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I know the Sunbow connection is probably not intentional but I still find it funny that it lined up as it did.
Jim most likely gave the "Zeta" name to the second-to-last one before Optimus (with the one being named "Sentinel" in between) simply because that's how it was in IDW1.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Something interesting about the Blockees Sentinel Prime: the plamo kit seems to come with his Dark of the Moon dual blade. I just found that interesting since most of his merchandise simply has him with guns.

Top Bottom