Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - New Toy Official Images!

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Liking the designs for the movie. They flow well with what has come before while still having a distinct style.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Takara/Tomy posted some nice shots of the some of the first 1 Step Cog Changers and Prime Changer figures.

I still think the Prime Changer Optimus is still really holding its own against the Studio Series version. Accuracy notwithstanding (Not sure if Hasbro was working with preliminary stuff, or made a “catch all” version incorporating elements from all his variations in the film, or the film crew just revised the design after Hasbro was done with the kids’ stuff), I appreciate the slightly cleaner aesthetics, the lower price, and the play features (matrix and removable stacks for blasters?!). I’m still utterly shocked that Hasbro dedicated the deco budget to painting the fingers on the Energon ax accessory

Bumblebee doesn’t look too bad (need more images for Sentinel Prime, though, I suspect a Starscream retool is guaranteed). Wished he’d gotten two blades, but the overall look is nice. By omitting the “iris” look with the neutral expression, he feels very “classical”. The removable chestplate is very interesting, as a feature. Like Optimus, I wonder if Hasbro is trying to ”one size fits all” with this toy, giving him the ability to look closer to his pre-T-cog look. Then again, it might just be part of a gimmick that isn’t obvious from packaging.

I’m still quite impressed with the Prime Changer assortment. I’ve been lamenting for years how Hasbro seemed to have increasingly short changed the kid-targeted stuff in favor of the collector segment, but it really does seem Prime Changers are a welcome change in that regard (at least to some extent). They really show that you can still make solid, well deco’d, transforming figures…even if they don’t have ankle tilts or every last bit of deco from the reference sheet.
And maybe more importantly, do so with a lesser budget than the “standard” Deluxe price point. $5 doesn’t seem like much, but I’m sure it will have a meaningful impact on consumers, just keeping the MSRP of a normal figure below $20 is a strong strike against that mental barrier.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Kind of a rambling thought train but…
It really seems like TF One is the kind of media Hasbro’s marketing department WANTS for its mainstream/kid-centric product lines. Since the end of RiD15, the action figure market has continued to consolidate to fewer characters into an increasing array of price points over a shorter period of time.
Cyberverse became a bit notorious as the series introduced DOZENS of characters…yet only a fraction would make it into toys. Even characters heavily featured in story arcs weren’t guaranteed a toy. Despite a focus for season 2, Cheetor only got two toys, one of which was an exclusive in the US and the other came out well after the character had died. Perceptor was a major figure in the third season’s initial arc, but never got a toy while Whirl just a one step and Dead End got a Warrior figure at the line’s end. Despite being a major element of the series finale, no figures were made of Astrotrain or Tarn.

While Earthspark addresses the character volume, but by focusing on new characters, more nuanced stories, and sidelining franchise anchors; you had a toy line that didn’t reflect the nature of the show. Twitch was the only Terran available at launch, and at the higher deluxe range. Thrash wouldn’t appear until months later. The two stars of the show were barely available at the launch of the line and series, but who was available? Bumblebee, Optimus Prime and Megatron, characters who were largely “supporting players” in the cartoon series.

One? Focuses on 4 central characters, 3 of which are franchise anchors. Heck, in terms of the Prime Changer assortment, all they need is Megatron and Elita One to check all the major characters we’ve seen in the trailer.
To me, this situation kind of makes the rumored ending of Earthspark more likely. Hasbro Marketing are going to want a series focused on franchise anchors, and building off TF One seems like a safe way to do so.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Despite being a major element of the series finale, no figures were made of Astrotrain or Tarn.
They also didn't make any of the mercenaries despite all of them (except Trypticon) being recolors of characters who had toys, so I'm not even sure Hasbro was paying attention to what the show was doing near the end.

Shadewing

Citizen
They also didn't make any of the mercenaries despite all of them (except Trypticon) being recolors of characters who had toys, so I'm not even sure Hasbro was paying attention to what the show was doing near the end.

I'd also count the lack of non-gimmick toy Swoop in there as well.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Additional stock images from Prime Changers wave 2 (Bumblebee and Sentinel Prime):

Still not clear as to the point of the removable chest panel, but the new images do show Bumblebee coming with his hand cannon to compliment the wrist blade.

Sentinel Prime is VERY clearly Seeker inspired, though, the vehicle seems to be less successful in replicating the package art than other figures. The discrepancy (and the appearance of it being a straight recolor of the art on Titan Starscream’s box) makes me think either Sentinel is based on earlier iterations (entirely possible) or he might not even transform in the film. On its own merits, it looks fine. Definitely vibing a bit with Cybertron Starscream, and the number of accessories (two blasters and the shield/blade) is nice.
I’m not sure there’s much else to say besides that…it’s a bit refreshing to see an Autobot jet (much less a leader character), but I KNOW a Starscream retool is on the docket. Until I see the movie (or more footage), I can’t comment on accuracy or any real character perspective like I can with Prime and Bumblebee.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Still not clear as to the point of the removable chest panel, but the new images do show Bumblebee coming with his hand cannon to compliment the wrist blade.
The chest panel opens to show Bee's T-Cog inside it, as it seems his receiving it (alongside the other three main characters) will be an important moment vital to the film's story.

Shadewing

Citizen
I mean, Blue and Orange is kinda the standard for most primes. Nominus is Blue and Orange, Sentinel is Blue and Orange (among other colors depending continuity), and Zeta... also seems to be Blue and Orange. Is it any wonder they probably can't keep them straight? That's how we ended up with Sentinel Zeta Prime isn't?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
They used the Binder of Revelation version of Sentinel Prime as a starting point for this version.

COP_Sentinel_Zeta.jpg

Top Bottom