Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - New Toy Official Images!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Why was film delayed that first time? Was it just not done yet by July or was there any reason given at all?
July 19 was the release date for Twisters, one week before Deadpool and Wolverine. July 3 was Despicable Me 2, and I’m sure Paramount wanted some breathing room against that. While not “kids films”, I’m sure a lot of kids DID go to both Twisters and D&W (I know there were some at the screening I went to).

The delay didn’t bother me, but I question pushing it out AS FAR as they did. Again, mid-August was pretty damn lite on meaningful new releases, much less family/kids films.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
On the bright side, the international numbers have to be better than we know. There are places where it's been out for weeks but they just haven't reported anything yet. So unless it's making literally $0, we're missing part of the picture here.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It seems to be doing okay in China (was released last week, outdid a bunch of other movies including The Wild Robot), and will hold some screens through this holiday weekend. I think it follows the trend of being the lowest debut for a Transformers film though.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
It seems to be doing okay in China (was released last week, outdid a bunch of other movies including The Wild Robot), and will hold some screens through this holiday weekend. I think it follows the trend of being the lowest debut for a Transformers film though.
Actually, Bumblebee opened with just $21 million back in 2018, not counting the extended holiday weekend. With FAR superior competition.

Not to sugar coat things, because this WAS a pretty terrible first couple weekends…but if you look at the theatrical returns as a whole? NOTHING released since August has done particularly well with the exceptions of Alien Romulus (currently about $105 million domestic against an $80 million budget), It Ends with Us (Damn near the only romantic film all summer, $25 million budget, up to domestic $148 million) and Beatlejuice 2 ($99 million budget, up to $255 million domestic).
I think a strong impression on the lackluster state of the movie business can be summed up by the fact that Howl’s Moving Castle (the 20th Anniversary release of the film) not only hit the Top 10 last weekend, but was just $2 million behind the release of Francis Ford Copula‘s Megalopolis. A rerelease of a 20 year old film (granted a VERY GOOD one) made $2.1 million for single weekend run with no meaningful marketing. And that was enough to crack the top 10 for the weekend.

Even The Wild Robot ($78 million budget) is tracking, as I check things right now, just $4 million or so ahead Transformers One ($75 million budget). And Wild Robot doesn’t have the merchandising back end up to prop up against weak theatrical performances.
Again, these are still TERRIBLE numbers, but at least Wild Robot is showing the issues aren’t completely oriented on Transformers One, itself, but indicative of broader malaise at the box office.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Variety article I saw the China opening news in clocked TF One as making $5 million -$8 million in China over the week.

I agree that the film industry as a whole is still struggling in this new post-pandemic climate. The concerns for infection are firmly in the rear-view mirror in most places, of course, but the years-or-so long pause kind of muted the inertia a lot of familiar practices had, including this. Between stiff competition from streaming and other more reaily-accessible entertainment, and prices for everything involved (the commute to the theater, the ticket prices, the other expenses like food and stuff attached to it) creeping up to ridiculous levels, there's a lot that's severely hampered movies-in-theaters' ability to reap back their revenue. (Sometimes this is complicated further by absurd production, but that's less an issue with TF One.) It says a lot that they had to bring in The Eras Tour to juice cinema attendance last year.

In general even outside of the whole "get them into cinemas" problem, the creative/production side is also struggling, as studios seem to be reluctant to produce anything anymore unless it's already a surefire BIG earner. Not even just something that'll wind up profitable; it has to be immense. I think Matt Damon discussed this very well on Hot Ones, of all places.

I'm just being cautious about falling back on that justification, as at least part of it is laced with copium.

I do think overall TF One will at least make its budget back (we'll know more after hearing from the other unreported venues), since they appear to have had pennies as the marketing budget. (I'm not counting the toyline here, although that feels a bit less sizeable than ROTB's.)

Last edited:

Top Bottom