Transformers One Spoiler Discussion

Dake

Citizen
I don't think I'd call them protoforms because they clearly do have altmodes. They just can't access them.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I don't think I'd call them protoforms because they clearly do have altmodes. They just can't access them.
But when they receive their cogs, their bodies undergo a physical change that looks like a reformatting, like how protoform bodies are reformatted after scanning an altmode.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah, it's a weird middle road. Who's to say they didn't have those attributes before having the cogs removed? It also seems like the cogs themselves force certain specific changes while working within certain restrictions, eg D-16 becomes a tank regardless of the cog.

So it's more like the Spark creates the individual (and the Cogless have Sparks), the cog just accentuates the Spark's "base programming".

Now if they had no Sparks either, THEN they're protoforms (though I guess that's not quite the same either because the protoforms have typically had Sparks too so...)

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
Yeah, it's a weird middle road. Who's to say they didn't have those attributes before having the cogs removed? It also seems like the cogs themselves force certain specific changes while working within certain restrictions, eg D-16 becomes a tank regardless of the cog.

So it's more like the Spark creates the individual (and the Cogless have Sparks), the cog just accentuates the Spark's "base programming".

Now if they had no Sparks either, THEN they're protoforms (though I guess that's not quite the same either because the protoforms have typically had Sparks too so...)

I had so hoped Megatron would’ve gotten a flight upgrade after he took Megatronus’ cog given a Tank ain’t gonna be doing much “rising up”.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
But when they receive their cogs, their bodies undergo a physical change that looks like a reformatting, like how protoform bodies are reformatted after scanning an altmode.
While not explicitly elaborated on in the film, such a change would likely require a LOT of energy.

I think it's possible that part of the reason (besides the subservient angle) for T-Cog removal might be simply to harvest the latent Energon. The resulting Cybertronian might, therefore, also require less Energon to function, allowing more to be diverted to the Quintesson shipments.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Just got back from it (and had to finish today's work because it's not a day off).

Loved it, though (much like Bumblebee) there are worldbuilding/VFX details that bug me:

I hate those self-building roads, and always have. It's bad enough when they're miles-long unsupported bridges, but now they're basically just flying with extra steps.

It's also another entry in the tradition of Bumblebee stealing other bots' acts. Why get a new Bluestreak when you can get a Bumblebee who acts just like Bluestreak?

It would've been a cool little Easter Egg to include miltary-mode Autobots like Warpath and Powerglide among the proto-Decepticons, then have them not leave to follow Megatron.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I had so hoped Megatron would’ve gotten a flight upgrade after he took Megatronus’ cog given a Tank ain’t gonna be doing much “rising up”.

Well, one way of rising up is to grind those who oppose you beneath your heel and stand atop their remains.

It's also another entry in the tradition of Bumblebee stealing other bots' acts. Why get a new Bluestreak when you can get a Bumblebee who acts just like Bluestreak?

Whostreak?

But seriously, while I like Bluestreak, I don't think he's someone the audience is asking for. Granted, maybe having him there could change that, but...

I'm sure it was done for tragic irony.

Y'know, since B-127 is probably going to get his throat ripped out someday.

Possibly by his former bestie.

Hmm, perhaps I should throw some quotes around "tragic," since I'm sure YMMV...

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Going the opposite direction would be a strong move on many fronts right now. First, it diminishes the chance of this being a prequel (if kept up), so even the people who still harp on that have less to work with. It also keeps this new characterization going (I just hope it's tempered a bit, which it might be now that Bee has more company), and makes for an easier kid appeal channel.

Top Bottom