Transformers One Spoiler Discussion

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Question: Do we have any verification on what those robo-animals were on the surface?

I thought turbofoxes. Someone on another forum suggested petro-rabbits. Neither TFWiki page has anything about TFOne on them, at least when I checked.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They seemed to be deer analogs, yeah, bigger than either fox or rabbit analogs would be (and had antler-ish bits, and trotted/ran like deer do). Although to be fair idk if Cybertronian fox or rabbit breeds are similar in scale to ours.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The ear lights turning red when alarmed reminded me of Horizon Zero Dawn. I kept waiting for a Thunderjaw to charge in from offscreen.

.....And now I want a Collab Grimlock Thunderjaw.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The ear lights turning red when alarmed reminded me of Horizon Zero Dawn. I kept waiting for a Thunderjaw to charge in from offscreen.

.....And now I want a Collab Grimlock Thunderjaw.
I've been wanting such a collab for some time. At first I thought it would be neat if it was a crossover with Zoids, seemed natural. But this would be amazing.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Definitely a Cervidae or (my preference) Gazella type.
And checking the Wiki, the only Cybertronian equivalent of a deer or gazelle I can find listed under the Cybertronic wildlife category is a "dieselle". But the one story that mentions it is rather obscure in general, so I wouldn't bet money on the filmmakers actually being aware of the name itself.

Last edited:

Maruten

Citizen
My only real complaint is that I felt the movie had few surprises for me. I mean, I think that's on me -- while I may not remember ever bit of minutiae like some, I've been an avid fan since pretty much Day One, and I feel like I've seen some form of most of what this movie brings in some way or another.
This is really fascinating to me, because that is (to a long-time TF fan) a super valid complaint about this film, but one that never would have occurred to me. Personally I was surprised by the movie, because it was so full of familiar stuff, established beats and history, recognisable characters - all executed very well. I guess the live action movies have conditioned me to expect... not this. I truly do not say that as a dig at the live action movies. But I never could have expected something so comfortably birthed from this movie's (largely though of course not entirely) G1 and Aligned roots.

Re: the annoyingness of B... I'll take it. I hardly cared what he said, I was just happy he could talk.

In conclusion: Airachnid!!!!!!!

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is really fascinating to me, because that is (to a long-time TF fan) a super valid complaint about this film, but one that never would have occurred to me. Personally I was surprised by the movie, because it was so full of familiar stuff, established beats and history, recognisable characters - all executed very well. I guess the live action movies have conditioned me to expect... not this. I truly do not say that as a dig at the live action movies. But I never could have expected something so comfortably birthed from this movie's (largely though of course not entirely) G1 and Aligned roots.

Re: the annoyingness of B... I'll take it. I hardly cared what he said, I was just happy he could talk.

In conclusion: Airachnid!!!!!!!
Looking back, I hate that I used the word "complaint."

It's a nitpick, I guess. A side note.

I still thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly how it delivered all those beats and things.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I do see your point. It would have been nice to get something bigger that was fresh or new. Each new piece of media adds something to what's come before, and that something is what I've come to look for (indeed, it's been a salve for the lack of quality at times).

And i guess there IS some, in the distillation of different influences. So it's not empty handed on that front, if a little thin.

But I agree it's a totally separate question vs that of quality, and this thing has that in spades. It brings the story very well to fresh eyes, and I hope it keeps finding those fresh eyes.

I will say the whole "animated = kids" thing really frustratingly seems to be getting in the way here. I genuinely thought ITSV and ATSV did so much to shake that vibe off, but I suppose it's more resilient than that. Mutant Mayhem brought the teen energy back to it (to great effect) and the early promos for this leaned heavily on the light humor. This being out of the blockbuster space and positioned ahead of another young-audiences animated offering may have reinforced that.

Maruten

Citizen
In a perfect world, maybe this is the origin story that catches the rest of the world up to where we have all been for decades, and the beginning of a film franchise that takes us to new places that are built on a foundation that... isn't Michael Bay, and again it's not my intent here to disparage those movies, but I do wish they bore a little more resemblance to G1, or AEC, or Prime, or IDW, or... something that makes me, an annoying old man, go "oh, this is Transformers".

Of course, Michael Bay IS Transformers for an awful lot of people. That's fine, that's cool. I hope One is a pleasant surprise for some of them - and for a new generation of fans coming in completely fresh.

And FWIW, I didn't intend for my use of the word "complaint" above to be in any way particularly severe, nor did I read it that way from you LBD.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm totally fine with the Bay movies feeling as distinct from any of those as they feel from each other (Unicron Trilogy, in retrospect, was the perfect bridge away from G1 to a space where even newer and more different possibilities are just as valid). They were just by and large terribly written (again, some of the Unicron Trilogy dub work provides, in the form of some helpful numbing).

I think TF One will work as a restart if they commit to it, with future installments taking from the lore structure this established. Similar to bow post-2007 stuff, movie-based or not, kept using the Allspark (Cube or otherwise) as a central plot device.

(Interestingly, no mention of that here, no? Just the Matrix.)

Top Bottom