Transformers Retro series (Walmart TFTM Reissues)

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The TF:TM themed boxes they were doing for the Retro releases before defaulting back to (boring IMO) vintage style packaging was some of the best work Hasbro has ever done. Those boxes were gorgeous.
Oh don't get me wrong, I really like them. While I wouldn't really put them alongside the best of the franchise, they're very pretty and look great together as a subseries almost. I kind of even want to see a sleeve for the Optimus with trailer they're doing, just on the strength of how bright and colorful the artwork is.

I just have a weird desire to see the originally planned deco for the Hot Rod toy (maybe even more toy based, catalog-accurate, chrome and stickers and all, just the original magenta -- rather than the animation model colors) finally "released" complete with packaging from the era, almost like a time-skipping artifact from an alternate universe. Just a closure thing.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
He looks dead... :geek:

Please don't say that, people will start demanding it be labeled a Cyclonus figure or something...

Though that might be an alternate display option. Just turn him upside down so the legs are pointing UP.

I may split this one with my nephew, he's getting a Retro Blaster for his birthday, and I like the insecticons, and in either of our collections a little pile of energon cubes will always have a use. We live next door to each other so Transformers tend to move back and forth a lot, this pack's perfect for that.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
It looks pretty good, but I have no real need for it, Ramhorn alone doesn't justify the price to me, and none of my local Walmarts are likely to ever actually get it anyway. And ordering online from them tends to be hilariously unreliable.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I actually kind of like the gray and yellow. But rather than interesting me in this, it's making me want to replace my CW Bombshell with the Takara one, which is in show colors closer to this. (Actually I then started to think of selling off the Legacy Insecticons in favor of the Legends ones, so the Deluxe Insecticons would be bigger like in G1, but that's too much work)

MegaMagnus

Citizen
I like this line it’s different, hopefully this and Optimus sells well and it continues because we know for sure they could do other cassettes , astrotrain , blitzwing , Devastator ( again )

MrBlud

Citizen
I feel like Astrotrain has to be high on the list given both the availability of the mold and how sought after the E-Hobby G1 recolor is.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Such an odd pairing, Ramhorn and Bombshell...

Like, I think the only time they ever occupied anything resembling the same space was both being in TFTM...

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Well they might be left overs from the TFTM reissue line.
They're not leftovers, they are part of the TFTM reissue line.

Hasbro just changed the packaging from the specifically TFTM branded boxes to recreations of the vintage G1 boxes for reasons. (Probably because IIRC Hasbro has announced that they are going back to the old style of boxes with plastic windows as opposed to the plastic-free packaging they've been doing the past few years so I guess this line is the first thing to go back to the old style)

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
IIRC that announcement was in reference to their 6" figure lines (GI Joe Classified Marvel Legends, Star Wars, and Lightning Collection... which sadly didn't live long enough to see it). Select products in 2024, and all new 6" releases after that.

It'd certainly be welcome for Transformers, though.

Top Bottom