Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I feel that kind of undermines the Transformers themselves, who are supposed to be this super (well, reasonably) advanced race. I can buy into humans being able to keep up, but not the Cybertronians particularly needing their help.

Think about it this way, humans are really great at war. We think of concepts that the TFs might not think of. Tactics that they might not use, or utilize their technology in ways that the Autobots never thought possible. Like in Stargate where the Asgard admit that they wouldn't have thought of using firearms to fight the replicators.

For example, the humans take five of the medical or emergency autobots and figure out a way for them to combine into Defensor! Or maybe just take some of their weapon designs and upgrade their vehicles with it, creating some of the iconic GI Joe vehicles.

I think that this would help both franchises, as I would love to see GI Joes in the film, fighting the fight against the evil Decepticons than what we have had in the past.

Undead Scottsman

Citizen
Ohhh, no you don't. "It can't be any worse than Age of Extinction" is how I wound up watching "The Last Knight". ;)

That Last Knight doesn't stop the movie to spend five minutes incorrectly explaining why it's okay the 20 year old boyfriend character is legally allowed to date his 17 year old girlfriend.

The Last Knight is a work of art compared to that.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
No doubt, but you know how getting a concussion shortly after you'd just gotten one makes the damage considerably worse than it would've been by itself

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Age of Extinction may be a movie that has one scene that was really truly bad, but The Last Knight is a movie that has only one scene that wasn't really truly bad (that being the King Arthur battle scene at the beginning; once that ends, nearly everything else in the rest of the movie is abysmal).

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
AOE had Optimus Riding a giant Grimlock while wielding a sword.

At least it was a cool scene, thou how the Dinobots were handled in the sequel, was just lame, about the only thing good about the Last Knight is the openning battle, afterwards, its kind of forgettable as it a car chase for some reason, a French talking Hot Rod (weird) and Unicron being in the Earth for some reason

Undead Scottsman

Citizen
To me, TLK represented such a colossal failure of caring about not only the IP in general, but even the continuity of the previous films, that it just turns into a bonkers fever dream of a film that actually works as a guilty pleasure for me. I've said it before, but when a movie doesn't seem to give a damn, it makes me not give a damn and actually lets a lot of the terrible decision roll off me like water. Why should I care that Bumblebee fighting in WW2 breaks continuity, the movie sure as hell doesn't!

It's a bad, bad bad bad bad movie; but, for me at least, I have fun watching it and marveling at how broken of a film it is. It's not "so bad it's good" but "so bad I don't care that it's bad anymore"

AoE just feels excruciating, especially that interminable third act that just goes on forever.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Unicron being earth was something that they swiped from Prime, but they didn't do it as well as Prime did. I imagine that it would have been a major point in the next film had they not switched gears with the BB film.

Lobjob

Citizen
What is astounding, continuity and testing one's patience issues aside, is that the ending of The Last Knight just absolutely *ravages* the Earth. Like, its just completely obliterated and the sci fi dystopian nature of Earth's new status quo was something the franchise was never going to address or explore thoroughly. Every movie since has only proven that point.

I really wanted ROTB Scourge to be Optimus from THAT future because it would have at least given some closure to that batshit crazy experience (i've sat through numerous times...) and allowed ROTB to be even more of a soft reboot, untithered by that predestined madness. Optimus sees the monster he becomes and chooses to *not* go down that path. Felt like a good character arch for me, but ehhhhhhhh.

ANYWAYS...that GI Joe movie...

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Last Knight is a movie that has only one scene that wasn't really truly bad (that being the King Arthur battle scene at the beginning;

And it was the only scene I remained conscious for. No other movie has done what that thing did to me.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just want a nice, low key live-action Transformers movie that lets Peter Cullen shine as Dad Optimus Prime while we have him.

Bumblebee felt like a breather and a good chance to recenter, even setting a good tone that future works could emulate. But then we immediately went back to epic scale with a token "emotional core" story or two for the humans and Optimus needing to learn to not be a jerk, and idk if we'll ever get that chance again.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
I just want a nice, low key live-action Transformers movie that lets Peter Cullen shine as Dad Optimus Prime while we have him.

Bumblebee felt like a breather and a good chance to recenter, even setting a good tone that future works could emulate. But then we immediately went back to epic scale with a token "emotional core" story or two for the humans and Optimus needing to learn to not be a jerk, and idk if we'll ever get that chance again.
That's the thing for me. Bumblebee was easily the best live action movie in the franchise, but RotB was weighed down with a lot of the same problems the Bay movies had.

Like... I donno. I felt a bit letdown after Bumblebee.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I think part of the reason they switched back to Bay style after BB is because the BB movie wasn't exactly a huge hit in cinemas and thought to go back to the Micheal Bay style with some character development for the TFs and giving them actual roles, but in the end, they end up killing the villians again, which is part of the reason that the movies are going downhill, they add big name characters only to kill them off in the same movie and not really work with the established TF lore that has been built up, but then, I'm a little tired of the Allspark being a object that the two sides fight over or generally having a mcguffin to the plot as that started in serious with the anime TF series, when just trying to obtain energy, seemed more intersting, thou I highly doult they'll stop doing that

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He's not just an animal. He's also a knight or something, whatever that means in AOE's micro continuity.

Top Bottom