Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Exactly. They built him and the other dinos up as these legendary crusaders of old, but in execution they were portrayed as little more than feral beasts.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Exactly. They built him and the other dinos up as these legendary crusaders of old, but in execution they were portrayed as little more than feral beasts.

I think the whole knight side of things evolved from script rewrites but the whole lack of a general plan for the movies, really devolved the knights thing, which is kind of a pity, it would of been intersting to see the Dinobots depicted as actual knights and make them stand out from their G1 selves but as we all know, the sequel to AOE was a complete mess, being a bunch of ideas just cramed into one movie

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
To me, TLK represented such a colossal failure of caring about not only the IP in general, but even the continuity of the previous films, that it just turns into a bonkers fever dream of a film that actually works as a guilty pleasure for me. I've said it before, but when a movie doesn't seem to give a damn, it makes me not give a damn and actually lets a lot of the terrible decision roll off me like water. Why should I care that Bumblebee fighting in WW2 breaks continuity, the movie sure as hell doesn't!

It's a bad, bad bad bad bad movie; but, for me at least, I have fun watching it and marveling at how broken of a film it is. It's not "so bad it's good" but "so bad I don't care that it's bad anymore"

AoE just feels excruciating, especially that interminable third act that just goes on forever.
And if nothing else, The Last Knight had a FAR superior musical score relative to AoE.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My theory for what TLK did to me is that the narrative is so disconnected in such a dreamlike way that my brain thought I actually was asleep, and started shutting down parts it thought it didn't need. It was the exact opposite of lucid dreaming. I was awake and unconscious at the same time.

I was fully conscious for the horror of AOE, so I'd say it was the worse experience.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
The Last Knight got really fun (for me) when the film changed focus to England.

The fun part of AOE for me was..... Li bingbing drinking water?

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
And if nothing else, The Last Knight had a FAR superior musical score relative to AoE.
I'm not sure about that (few parts of TLK's score really stick out to me the way Lockdown's theme and Autobots Reunite do), but Jablonsky's work was consistently one of the things that kept me coming back to watch these.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
The Last Knight got really fun (for me) when the film changed focus to England.

The fun part of AOE for me was..... Li bingbing drinking water?
best part was the bald dude Chinese milk product placement.

also, if being in AoE wasn’t enough of a turn off, never drink Chinese milk.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I'm not sure about that (few parts of TLK's score really stick out to me the way Lockdown's theme and Autobots Reunite do), but Jablonsky's work was consistently one of the things that kept me coming back to watch these.
See, ya can’t even keep the film’s straight :p

(Lockdown was in Age of Extinction, The Last Knight was the one with Suddenly-Megatron-Again, Quintessa, and not-Nemesis Prime.). Age of Extinction’s score was probably the weakest work Jablonsky did for the franchise.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yes, that's what I meant. Not much about TLK's score stood out to me the way that (or as much as) those two pieces from Age of Extinction did, which is why I remember AOE's score more fondly than TLK's. Or at least those parts of it.

(Also, doesn't he explicitly call himself Nemesis Prime in TLK? That I'm hazier on recollecting, but I vaguely recall rolling my eyes at them making Peter Cullen roar yet another edgy line that fell flat.)

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
(Also, doesn't he explicitly call himself Nemesis Prime in TLK? That I'm hazier on recollecting, but I vaguely recall rolling my eyes at them making Peter Cullen roar yet another edgy line that fell flat.)
He does, yes.

Or, maybe it was Quintessa who called him that? (I really don't wanna watch the movie again)

Either way, he was definitely called "Nemesis Prime" in TLK.

What Steevy meant by "not-Nemesis Prime" was the fact that it was Optimus himself corrupted to evil instead of Nemesis Prime being a separate individual cloned/modeled after Optimus in appearance.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He does, yes.

Or, maybe it was Quintessa who called him that? (I really don't wanna watch the movie again)

Either way, he was definitely called "Nemesis Prime" in TLK.

What Steevy meant by "not-Nemesis Prime" was the fact that it was Optimus himself corrupted to evil instead of Nemesis Prime being a separate individual cloned/modeled after Optimus in appearance.

She doesn't, at least not in their initial encounter.
And he does announce it while fighting Bumblebee.
Sigh, rewatching that made me sad.

But yeah, I'm with Steevy on that. It's so... lazy. "And then he's a bad guy now, so he should call himself Nemesis Prime!"

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
I'm a big fan of TLK's score.

I also really dig the opening scene with King Arthur and the Knights of Cybertron. So much so that I began thinking that some sort of TF series set in Medieval Europe would be fun. You could have Knight themed Autobots and Viking themed Decepticons...

Anyway yeah. The movie is a mess but there are aspects of the design of parts of it that have a seed of a fun idea.

That's the best I got.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I need to listen to it again. I did like the sting of music with "Did you forget who I am?" and the Seglass ni Tonday motif.

Top Bottom