Transformers the Movie Soundtrack

Axaday

Citizen
Ok, for starters I am listening on my Echo Show right now and the lyrics go on the screen and in "Dare to be Stupid" I have never understood the reference to buying some Lane before it's tame. There is a giant furniture store that advertised heavily on my TV as a kid and I knew Lane was a furniture brand. But it turns out he sings "Sell some wine before its time". Ok. It still doesn't sound like that to me.

I have a soft spot for this soundtrack. Every bit of it. I recently looked up the bands. I have known for a long time that the opening theme was done by a different band than the other songs, but I always thought the other three heavy metal were the same band. I have never been a fan of heavy metal, but I do soak up cultural trends around me. I know the names of popular heavy metal bands and I've never heard of Lion, Kick-Axe, or NRG outside of this soundtrack. I see that Lion was very short lived because the drummer was paralyzed, but Kick-Axe seems to have been active for quite a while. NRG is had to even find information about. To people with more of a heavy metal taste, is this stuff actually any good?

This isn't a newsflash, but if you like the score, go listen to Rocky IV. Vince DiCola only scored two movies and he did them the same. Except for one breakout of the Rocky fanfare, any of this music could have been in Transformers the Movie. Unicron's theme even plays. It isn't high art, but like I said I have a soft spot for it. I wore a VHS tape of this movie out as a kid.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ok, for starters I am listening on my Echo Show right now and the lyrics go on the screen and in "Dare to be Stupid" I have never understood the reference to buying some Lane before it's tame. There is a giant furniture store that advertised heavily on my TV as a kid and I knew Lane was a furniture brand. But it turns out he sings "Sell some wine before its time". Ok. It still doesn't sound like that to me.
38 seconds in?

I'm pretty sure that's "sell some wine before it's time".

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If it makes you feel better, it was about a decade from the movie's release before I could get either internet access or a copy of the album, and so I thought the song/chorus was "Very Stupid" because that's all I could hear in the scene (and that the Optimus Prime song was "You've Got The Choice").

If nothing else it's nice to not be alone in the land of mondegreens.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The lyric "So you don't join the Army, join the PTA" still sounds to me like "So you don't make the formy, join the PTA" to this day.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Apparently it's "Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA".

Aside-- this song was his Devo send up, wasn't it?

Axaday

Citizen
I started a similar thread a few years ago because "Instruments of Destruction" was running though my head on the way to work and it suddenly dawned on me that it might be "A Violent Eruption". I had always heard "It's a Vile Interruption" and a lot of places (including my Echo show, I think) say Vile Interruption. Someone confirmed that it was actually a lyric swap. The original is "A Violent Seduction" which isn't kid friendly AT ALL, unlike "If it is against the law, you can bet I'll break it" which is fine.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
unlike "If it is against the law, you can bet I'll break it" which is fine.
Heh, you know, I always chuckled at how it seemed the lyrics of "Hunger" were recontextualized to be more family-friendly by how it was used in the movie.

"When I see what I want, I'm gonna take it!" = Hot Rod and Kup want freedom from the Quintessons
"If it's against the law you can bet I'll break it!" = They're breaking the corrupt and oppressive laws of the Quintessons
"My need for speed gives me the will to survive!" = Hot Rod and Kup drive around the Sharkticon pit at top speed to create a whirlpool that propels them out of the pit and enables them to survive
"I've gotta find it fast to keep me alive!" = If they don't get their freedom, they'll be eaten alive by Sharkticons
Literally the rest of the song = Hot Rod and Kup are determined to get the freedom and escape from the Quintessons that they so eagerly desire.

Blot

Citizen
Let me find my thoughts I wrote up about Kick Axe I made once...
Decided to listen to Kick Axe's discography this morning, since all I knew was their two tracks from the 80s Transformers film. They're very... like if you needed a generic made up 80s metal song for a movie? That sound.

Like if you don't pay much attention you'd be forgiven for thinking they're Ratt or Motley Crue.
That said, it's not bad. I like their song "Rock the World". You could certainly do worse than store brand Anthrax

Undead Scottsman

Citizen
Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo once stated, in reference to "Dare to be Stupid," from a VH1 Behind the Music about Weird Al, that "I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else and... I hate him for it, basically."

Top Bottom