We live in a capitalist dystopia

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
99f8a101e0185476.png

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
Funny that the article doesn't mention how much Fifth Third made off their scam. I assume that it was less than what they were fined so as to discourage them and other banks from attempting similar schemes in the future. That's how these things play out in real life, right?

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Likely just a slap on the wrist. Probably made 10 times the fine they were assessed. Frankly the minute a company gets a fine like this the company should be required, at the very least, to remove the CEO and all other senior executives WITHOUT honoring their severance packages(NO GOLDEN PARACHUTE FOR YOU).

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The US government should never advocate breaking a legal contract due to completely separate illegal acts committed by the institution.

They should no longer be a bank, and the all involved should be blacklisted to prevent them ever working in a financial agency ever again. Because if they did horrible crime once, they will do it again.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
If the only penalty for a crime is a relatively small fine, then it's not really a crime, it's a cost of business.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I disagree on the first part. Company broke the law, it's contracts with the enablers of said illegal acts should be null and void(which is why I singled out the senior executives). As far as the second part.... My only issue with doing that is the fallout. The average bank teller likely had nothing to do with said decisions. Neither did members of the banks IT department, janitorial staff, etc. All of them would have to look for another job. Better solution is to have a government task force take over management of the company for a time, force a rewrite to the company charter and then hand it over to a new group of executives followed by a period of increased government oversight. You have to hit the executives and possibly the shareholders where it hurts to reduce this kind of garbage from happening.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yup, fair point. No reason to punish the every day because a bunch of 1%ers can't keep their hands in their own wallets.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Better-er system would be to nationalize the whole system under the control of the Fed so we don't ever have to worry about scamming people for profits ever again, because there are no profits to be made, just a duty to one's country.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Took me a while to get past rage, and onto reason: but I got there...

My first reaction, btw, was "kill her".

Thankfully: input devices are so ubiquitous that not only would they never be able to "corner the market" in any meaningful way, the second the service goes down (and the shit she's talking about would require a constant internet connection and dedicated servers.) and your mouse stop working for no apparent reason everyone they suckered into buying into this shit will abandon it for a dollar store wireless mouse that runs entirely locally.

Unfortunately: the argument that will kill her attempt isn't logic, reason, or anything civil. It will be "Apple and windows will never let you cut into their market share". Not that either of those organizations are intent on protecting consumer rights, but rather they could do it THEMSELVES and make that dosh instead of letting someone else clean up.

NovaSaber

Citizen
I also really don't trust them to be able to make a mouse that consistently works with no physical (not software) problems for a lifetime, or even for 10 years.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I use my mice until they have no remaining working buttons. I was using three at one point.

Eat shit, lady. If you sell me a mouse, you will not see another penny from me for twenty years.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I've got five or six cheap mice in a drawer that still work just fine. It'll be decades before I have to buy a new one. Shove your blatant anticonsumer bullshit sideways up your ass until you can taste it.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Unfortunately: the argument that will kill her attempt isn't logic, reason, or anything civil. It will be "Apple and windows will never let you cut into their market share". Not that either of those organizations are intent on protecting consumer rights, but rather they could do it THEMSELVES and make that dosh instead of letting someone else clean up.
I'm confused; what are you suggesting Microsoft and Apple will do to them? Block their drivers from even installing so they can sell you mice of their own that aren't blocked?

Ironbite4

Citizen
I'd love to find out where this new class of C-suit executive is being produced and burn it to the ground.

Ironbite-like is she aware that most people buy new stuff because it physically stops working?

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I'm confused; what are you suggesting Microsoft and Apple will do to them? Block their drivers from even installing so they can sell you mice of their own that aren't blocked?
Both of those companies are already monetizing the hell out of their platforms. They won't allow someone else to do something they could themselves. In the case of microsoft: will they physically prevent other mouse drivers from installing? Absolutely not, that's asking for an anti-trust suit. But... offer you the same service, built in and cheaper than the competition? Absolutely. Why go to adobe for your mouse connection when you can get the native integration solution already bundled with office 365?

Apple already has strict rules and requirements for getting software onto their platform. I'm frankly surprised they aren't already doing this: it makes perfect sense for them.

Edit: and none of this will happen anyway because if it DOES happen, some linux freak will start making "rats" as your input device and offer the drivers for free. They'll see the market share for "mice as a live service" will only be in the places where it's absolutely mandatory, and ultimately not worth the effort.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd love to find out where this new class of C-suit executive is being produced and burn it to the ground.

Ironbite-like is she aware that most people buy new stuff because it physically stops working?

I survived business school. The ethics portion of my degree was one single Powerpoint slide.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Both of those companies are already monetizing the hell out of their platforms. They won't allow someone else to do something they could themselves. In the case of microsoft: will they physically prevent other mouse drivers from installing? Absolutely not, that's asking for an anti-trust suit. But... offer you the same service, built in and cheaper than the competition? Absolutely. Why go to adobe for your mouse connection when you can get the native integration solution already bundled with office 365?
To be clear, what I'm pretty sure we've been talking about here is that Logitech plans to start designing mice to demand you keep sending the company money or they'll brick your mouse. And offer nothing in return other than the hope that you're too dumb to say "screw that" and get your next mouse from some other company. I'm not sure how Microsoft and Apple can offer a "competing service" to this. I mean, they could just keep selling their own mice and NOT do this stupid and terrible thing, as I'm sure a number of other companies still intend to.

Top Bottom