We live in a capitalist dystopia

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I understand that medical science and research is very expensive. I am all for companies recouping those costs. But the time limit before generics are allowed needs to be shortened dramatically. And if public funds are used, then there should be some serious price caps.
All that said, there is no reason whatsoever why any of the price gouging we've seen in recent decades to be allowed. Legally or morally. It kills me that Martin Shekri was just ahead of the curve.

I could go on a lovely rant about all of this and dovetail nicely into the health insurance scam, but that'll take a while to type out.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Which is why none of it should be the domain of for-profit companies anymore, at all.
Until the government steps up to fund it all, we have to do what we can with what we've got. I have no issue with privately sponsored medical research.

Ironbite4

Citizen
I swear to god these people are gonna end up dead one day. And the C-Suite isn't going to understand why.

Ironbite-until some CEO's head is delivered in a box with the message "Find out time" that is.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I was reading about this whole merger this morning in Morning Brew and thinking "they want to compete with Walmart . . . how about not charging way more than other stores for no apparent reason, and maybe having a better selection . . . ?"

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I was reading about this whole merger this morning in Morning Brew and thinking "they want to compete with Walmart . . . how about not charging way more than other stores for no apparent reason, and maybe having a better selection . . . ?"
Why would they do that when they can just absorb the competition until they're reasonably sized compared to walmart then collude with them to fix prices?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Do they even compete with each other, presently? I thought they only owned regional chains that have almost no overlap. So I can't imagine what merging would actually do.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Going off topic here, a bit, but all your supermarket chains are regional rather than national, aren’t they? (I mean, ours are national, the 6 or 7 main ones. But we of course have a much smaller land mass and higher population density.)

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It's complicated. I believe every region has a regional chain or two, often with silly names like Safeway and Giant Eagle and Piggly-Wiggly, but then there are chains with a spotty presence across the country like Aldi (yes, the same Aldi that's in the UK) and Trader Joe's (owned by the other Aldi) and Whole Foods. And then of course there's Walmart and Target, which are "big-box stores" that carry everything from electronics to toys to gardening supplies to car batteries. Of course, every national chain started out as a regional one, and new ones move in from time to time to replace the ones that died out; Kmart is down to one store in the whole country, but Meijer, another big-box store, moved into the area recently.

And even a lot of the regional chains, as I've said, have merged behind the scenes while keeping their names. Collectively, I'm pretty sure they have a larger number of stores than the openly-national chains combined; around here it's still a much shorter trip to Acme or either of the two Giant Eagles than Walmart or Target, and there's a third Giant Eagle not terribly far either.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Publix is king down here. They charge extra because they have a reputation for quality despite mostly carrying the same national brands as everybody else. Funny how that works.

The stuff they actually make in-house is quality though. Their subs are phenomenal.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Kroger owns so many "small town" groceries it's not even funny. Here in north east Kansas, the store name still says Dillons, but it's Kroger.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
We used to have Albertsons and Safeway. Safeway disappeared from this area a long time ago, but now the name belongs to Albertsons. We do have Fred Meyer, whose business model seems to be "Walmart but more expensive," and they're owned by Kroger. So they do sorta compete.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Surprise Surprise. So the open secret is now on official record. This should be reason enough to NOT allow the merger to go through. While we are at it lets make Walmart and Amazon divest some of their assets.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen

This is why turning webpages into apps on phones was a mistake.
Least surprising "surprise' ever.
How many times has anyone ever said something in passing and then gotten targeted ads? We knew they were listening. Their level of subtlety is less than.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
On the plus side, Google's booted them as a partner:

And presumably setting the proper permissions to block mic access would work, but this is why if something doesn't -need- to be an app, it shouldn't be.

Top Bottom