What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Paladin

Citizen

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It's either a sign of how ludicrous the educated extremists have gotten, or commentary on the state of education in red states.

NovaSaber

Citizen
I do not believe that anyone has ever read a translation of the Bible that capitalizes God's pronouns without being consciously aware of that being done.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Is it that they didn't know what "pronouns" meant and just assumed it meant "the concept of changing your hims and hers, as invented by people on the left to mess with people on the right."? That's always what it seemed to be to me.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
It's more that they assume their base doesn't know the difference. And they'll keep undermining education in any way they can to keep it that way.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Kentucky has now passed a similar EV law that Alabama has, except they are already taxing 3% at EV Charging stations.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I want to know how many he considers "too many". It could mean just enough to compromise their current narrow majority in a single house and the reasonable chances of retaking a majority in the other one in the near future... or it could mean enough to permanently bring down the whole damn party. Or anywhere in between.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
From what I can tell from the article, he's extremely in favour of the flight logs being released. An attempt to subpoena them by Marsha Blackburn was blocked by Democrat senator Dick Durbin.
Mr. Burchett said that getting access to the flight logs “shouldn’t be a partisan issue.”

“We should all be concerned about the horrors of sex trafficking, especially when it involves kids, but I’ll call on Republicans to show some leadership in this field if the Democrats insist on stonewalling it like this,” he said.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I wonder what Mr.Durbin is hiding that he feels a need to prevent the flight logs from becoming public.

Anyone know any white hats? We could solve this problem for them.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Looking into this more, it looks like it was part of an attempt by Republicans to derail a committee ethics investigation into Supreme Court Justices Thomas and Alito. Republicans filed 177 amendments, and Blackburn's included a subpoena to get the Epstein flight logs which have previously been released in a heavily redacted form:

Durbin said they'd vote on the subpoena after debating the 177 amendments, but then Republicans filibustered the debate and the committee never got as far as considering the subpoena.

Can politics be less stupid in 2024 please? oh wait, it's election year.

Spin-Out

i cant take it anymore im at my limit
Citizen
Also, the Washington Times (not to be confused with the Washinton Post, who are pretty good) is part of the GOP propaganda mill. they're as "reputable" as fox news.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I have a new proposal. Any politician who tries to block or interfere with investigations into known pedophiles' activities—regardless of who's involved with the investigations—regardless of who's being accused and who isn't and how suspicious that is—regardless of how obviously politically motivated it is—is automatically treated as aiding and abetting those pedophiles. By the media, by the court of public opinion, by anyone left who has any real conscience. No more using "But they have even bigger skeletons in their closet" as an excuse. If you really believe that, then launch your own investigation right back and let's throw both closets wide open. If the result is bringing down 90% of our political figures and permanently destroying the public's faith in any and all of our institutions... well, it's what they deserve.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
There's already historic amounts of discontent in western world institutions. Might as well burn down what little good will is left.

That wasn't sarcasm, by the way. The sooner we finish destroying the old systems the sooner was can start building new ones that actually ******* work.

Shadhausen

Citizen
There's already historic amounts of discontent in western world institutions. Might as well burn down what little good will is left.

That wasn't sarcasm, by the way. The sooner we finish destroying the old systems the sooner was can start building new ones that actually ******* work.
Funny that you think anything it gets replaced with would actually be better.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Maybe not right away, but there's a reason France still proudly traces the origins of its current system to the same revolution that eventually put Robespierre and then Napoleon in charge, despite them having been two of the worst tyrants the country had ever seen.

As for what that reason is, I guess you'd have to have grown up in France and been taught in their history classes to find out. But looking at their quality of life compared to ours, I'm choosing to trust that it's a good one.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yea for every American Revolution we get 10 or so Reign of Terrors.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Funny that you think anything it gets replaced with would actually be better.
Historically, governments fall all the time, and what eventually rises from the ashes is measurably better, in terms of social progress, infrastructure, and technology. The trouble is the generations-long dark age that follows each collapse.

Well, that and the never-seen-in-human-history environmental collapse that's throwing all historical models out the airlock.

Top Bottom