What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Let me guess, one's ex-army and the other's an ex-marine so each of them considers the other to have only been a "fake" soldier?

I get that rivalry between military divisions is something the government did on purpose to try to avoid the chance of a coup, but egad is it the dumbest shit when you're actually seeing it at ground level.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I think it has more to do with the fact that Walz retired just before the Iraq War so naturally these chucklefuck chickenhawks are accusing him of betraying his country.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Neither saw combat and Walz outranks Vance(Sergeant vs Corporal) The rub is that he retired right before his unit was to be deployed and they are trying to use that to paint him as a coward who only left so he wouldn't have to go to Iraq.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Yeah seriously that just makes him better in my opinion. Think about how many Democrats supported the war before they were against it; it sounds like he opposed it from the start.

I mean, jeez, even Trump condemned the Iraq War at one point. I thought we were pretty much settled on this, like we were about Vietnam by the '80s.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Vance really isn't good at this politics thing, is he?
He attempted to "ambush" Kamala and Walz at the airport and when that didn't get him quite the attention he felt it warranted, his spokesman starting joking about how they need to clean the plane because Kamala apparently made it smell bad?

Axaday

Citizen
I am not sure whether the actual undecided voters are going to listen to Vance without checking or not. His base will eat it up and maybe the purpose here is just to make sure they get out and vote rather than change someone's mind.

The facts are that Walz was in the national guard for 24 years and when he was 41 and running for Congress, his unit got notified that they would possibly be deployed in the next 2 years. He initially said he would still go if order even if he was in Congress. He did decide to retire 2 months before his unit actually received their orders to go. 24 years is above average length for a national guard career and he was actually in the running and won a seat in Congress where he continued to serve the country.

Last edited:

Ironbite4

Citizen
....you mean Walz right? And also, the reason why he decided to retire 2 months before his unit got sent to Iraq was because he was staring down the barrel of a medical discharge.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
And it wasn't two months before his unit got sent to iraq: it was two months before his unit was TOLD they were heading to iraq. They were on stand by for deployment with no mention of duty when he filed his paperwork.

Paperwork which is ROUTINELY done months in advance. He was ******* retiring: not returning a motor pool issued vehicle.

Axaday

Citizen
I can't figure out who people are that are actually undecided. But the more I think about it the more I just think it is about making the base feel like it is the most important election of their lives. They aren't going to research it. They know Vance wouldn't steer them wrong.

A retired coworker of mind shared this on Facebook today.

And I am not surprised if a person of average or lower intelligence can't remember exactly when there was $1.22 gasoline. But...who in the world thinks it is $6.69 now?

Attachments

• 454313308_10226769357408454_2071689240163009118_n.jpg
    454313308_10226769357408454_2071689240163009118_n.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 32

Ungnome

Citizen
Always HATE the gas price arguments. The president just doesn't have that much control over them. Last time the average gas price was under $2 was during the height of the COVID lockdowns when people worldwide just weren't driving as much and before that was towards the end of Obama's second term. We had a spike in prices in 2022 due to the covid lockdowns winding down as a result of gas production lagging behind the increased demand post-COVID combined with Russia invading Ukraine. This year's spikes were mostly due to the uncertainty caused by the Israeli-Palestinian war spreading unrest throughout the middle east.

Axaday

Citizen
My brother lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. He reports $4.09 at Costco. I live in Oklahoma, where it is usually pretty close to the cheapest, and it is $3 something here. $3.36 within the last few weeks I think.

Ungnome

Citizen
Round here it's been ranging between 3.35 to 3.49 for regular, dropped down to 3.23 briefly earlier this week.

Top Bottom