What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

NovaSaber

Citizen

Mitchell’s case is the latest example of dubious tactics used in an effort to qualify West, a left-wing academic, for the ballot in states across the U.S. It’s also among the more egregious. It’s an effort that West himself apparently knows nothing about. His campaign did not immediately respond for comment Friday evening.

“If you produce information that is a false on filing to a government entity in Arizona, you’ve committed a felony. It’s just not that complicated,” said Dennis K. Burke, a former U.S. Attorney in Arizona, who also served as a chief deputy in the state attorney general’s office.

But as the presidential election enters a critical three-month period, there are efforts around the country to subvert the integrity of the ballot, many of them coming from a collection of conservative activists and Republican-aligned operatives pushing West’s candidacy.

Republicans and their allies have worked to get West on the ballot in Arizona, Wisconsin, Virginia, North Carolina, Nebraska, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Maine.

Their hope is West will serve as a spoiler candidate, boosting former President Donald Trump’s chance of winning in November by siphoning liberal support away from the Democratic nominee, Vice President Kamala Harris, in battleground states that could be decided by just a few thousand votes.

While it is not clear who is behind the effort — and there is no indication that Trump’s campaign is directly involved — one thing is certain: It’s not West, who has not been actively campaigning and whose presidential committee, records show, was almost $17,000 in debt at the end of June.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Someone looked at RFK Jr. and said "oh crap this idiot might actually screw us over. QUICK FIND SOMEONE LIKE HIM WE CAN USE TO SIPHON DEM VOTES!" and came up with Cornel West.

Ironbite-like...wow.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Someone looked at RFK Jr. and said "oh crap this idiot might actually screw us over. QUICK FIND SOMEONE LIKE HIM WE CAN USE TO SIPHON DEM VOTES!" and came up with Cornel West.

Ironbite-like...wow.
RFK's running mate said the quiet part out loud, that their entire job is to steal votes from the Democrats. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can take them with any modicum of seriousness.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It's the same mentality that takes TRUMP seriously. It's mental illness and derangement and propaganda. It's the desire to be complete and utter assholes in public and not being punished for it. It's entitling and enabling the very worst of instincts and attitudes humanity can offer.

Axaday

Citizen
So the question we should probably all be asking is, what will Harris do if she's the clear winner in enough swing states to take the election but enough of them throw it to Trump instead? And when I say "do", I mean in January when it's her job to preside over the Senate session that will certify the results of the election. When she's in the position Mike Pence was four years ago except this time around she's also the candidate the states are trying to say lost, and also this time around they're objectively wrong.

Because I'll tell you this much, conceding gracefully in an attempt to deescalate the situation will do her absolutely jack shit when Trump's first act of office is to declare himself dictator for life and his second is to have her, Biden, and everyone else on his enemies list marched off to prison.
I don't think this is a real world scenario. Not certifying the results was a last ditch showmanship tactic for Trump. He made it seem to his supporters like it came down to the line because they still weren't accepting the truth, but there was no investigation going on. The investigation that Cruz and Lankford et al were asking for was an investigation of nothing and it is hard to know when you are done investigating nothing. By January 6 or whatever it will be next year, any sneaky fraudulent thing that has been detected will have been investigated. It won't be Kamala's job to judge whether the electoral votes are accurate. That hasn't been a thing for a long time. It is just a ceremony.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
There will be no quiet revolution. Should a state's local players attempt to act in bad faith, they will be called on it. The media and watchdog groups will absolutely be all over that. Come the time to certify, Trump will not be there. He may rally the troops, he may scream and yell and make stupid statements, but he will not be the president and his ability to act will be severely limited.
What is far more likely to happen is that his bad faith actors will try and play, only to get shut down by redundancy and their own incompetence. Trump will be in Mar A Largo and make a lot of grandiose statements, lie out of his ass, and attempt to rabble rouse. Should his calls result in some action, the next administration will be a lot meaner than Merrick Garland's milquetoast DOJ.

Axaday

Citizen
If Trump loses again, is there a scenario other than mortality that stops him from being the nominee again in 2028?

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I kinda hope they have the balls to try it. Especially if he has even more felony convictions under his belt.

Axaday

Citizen
I kinda hope they have the balls to try it. Especially if he has even more felony convictions under his belt.
I actually forgot to consider that for some reason. There has been so much worry about whether he could postpone his trials until after the election, but he can't postpone them until 2028.

Paladin

Citizen
There is also no bottom to the racism Harris will face.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Several states, candidates, and major political parties have ignored this fundamental Presidential qualification, including candidates Nikki Haley, Vivek Ramaswamy and Kamala Harris whose parents were not American citizens at the time of their birth," the NFRA's resolution read.
Can't help but notice they didn't name John McCain, who was born outside the US.

Probably because he was a white dude.

Axaday

Citizen
It really bothers me that organizations like this will publish a paper like this that just acts like nobody understands the very simple and written rules. They will cause thousand of morons to make fools of themselves by the water cooler and that is all. Does it fire up voter turnout? Maybe so.

The article does take a misstep when its first refutal is that their definition would have made Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and Madison ineligible. One of the few facts I knew about Alexander Hamilton before watching the musical was that the natural born citizen rule had been put in place to keep him from running for President, but when the musical acted like he could have run I went and looked that up and it wasn't a fact at all. We don't talk about it NOW because it doesn't matter but the Constitution expressly exempted people who were citizens at the time the Constitution was enacted. The first many Presidents were born British subjects (Hamilton was too), but we never did get an immigrant President before that clock ran out.

It does get to the real refutal which is "That's not how any of this works"

Top Bottom