What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
The GOP has been running on racism since slavery ended: why are you shocked by stochastic terrorism now?
Not quite. But the old GOP is not the current GOP and the old Democrats are not the current Democrats. One must remember it was the Republicans(old style) that ended slavery and the Democrats(old style) that passed Jim Crow laws. Generation changes took hold of both parties, most quickly in the 60s, but the shift started before that and continues today.

Teufel

Citizen
Stochastic terrorism is political violence that has been instigated by hostile public rhetoric which is directed at a group or an individual.

Unless it's a Bernie Bro shooting up a baseball field of GOP representatives or a liberal going to Justice Kavanaugh's house to try and assassinate him, then its usage goes into hibernation for a while.

Axaday

Citizen
I am having lunch with my dad tomorrow. Maybe I should ask him about Vance. My bias might be getting in the way, but to me he seems empty and smarmy, regardless of his politics. I don't think I would like him in any case.
After action report - I am flummoxed and encouraged. My dad does not know how Vance or Walz are. It is encouraging because he has soured enough on Trump that he is not even paying attention to this race.

He's still going to go vote for Trump, I THINK, because he is team red. It hardly matters. Trump wins my state with 60%+. I can already call that. But now I'm thinking about coaching my daughters to ask him for a pledge that he will vote for the girl.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
I wonder what convinced them that getting everybody angry at Haitians specifically is what's going to win the election for them?

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
This is not a fight, this is Loomer telling MTG to shut up and sit down. And sit down now. All because she believes she's got the backing of the Orange Piss Pot.
I mean, she is part of Trump's entourage... for some reason... that he's not willing to share...

Also as per that article, Lindsey Graham has now joined the catfight.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I wonder what convinced them that getting everybody angry at Haitians specifically is what's going to win the election for them?
The haitians were a target of opportunity: something stupid came up near a place that was home to lots of refugees. That was all they needed. If it hadn't been them, in ohio, it would have been some group, somewhere else. They didn't need anything other than the hate to attempt to rekindle the base.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I 100% think that if Haiti hadn't had a string of natural disasters and wasn't essentially occupied by the US in the early 20th century, it would be quite the powerhouse in the Caribbean today.

Axaday

Citizen
He didn't really choose the Haitians exactly. You can only talk so much about geography and statistics before people are bored. If you really want to scare them you need a specific threat. And since illegal immigrants work hard not to draw attention to themselves, it isn't the easiest thing to find something scary about them. Someone publicly accused them of eating their cat. Trump has to get as much mileage out of it as he can.

Ironbite4

Citizen
There's a simpler reason for all the attacks on Hattians.

They screwed up which Black Caribbean people they wanted to attack in order to attack Harris. Her father is Jamaican. Chances are, Trump wanted to attack that part of her heritage and left the particulars up to Vance. Vance being the idiot that he is decided Trump meant Hattians and has acted accordingly. Simple as that.

Ironbite-doesn't excuse them at all but that's probably what they were going for.

Top Bottom