What would you want in a Transformers Playset?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I saw this playset at Ollies recently:

1725630536178.png

Tempted to get it for my TFs but it has Star Wars specific characters in the art on the top section.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
The biggest problem as a lot have already noted would be scale as Transformers are all over the place. Core would be the most cost-effective but not everything can be had in it, especially with the recent shorting of that class.

What I'd like honestly would be a generic 'Ark' ship that unfolds into 'That Room', by which I mean a generic Telletraan computer on one wall and a table/bed/repair bay thing in the center of an orange/yellow set. Very simple to make big enough to work with MOST things, while open-sided enough to not exclude stuff from the diorama even if they're too big.

Then maybe a Nemesis that can do the same thing, the purple computer on one side, a command throne in the middle.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The biggest problem as a lot have already noted would be scale as Transformers are all over the place. Core would be the most cost-effective but not everything can be had in it, especially with the recent shorting of that class.

What I'd like honestly would be a generic 'Ark' ship that unfolds into 'That Room', by which I mean a generic Telletraan computer on one wall and a table/bed/repair bay thing in the center of an orange/yellow set. Very simple to make big enough to work with MOST things, while open-sided enough to not exclude stuff from the diorama even if they're too big.

Then maybe a Nemesis that can do the same thing, the purple computer on one side, a command throne in the middle.

(Mostly) Same. The only thing I'd do different is, instead of making it the Ark as a ship, I'd make it Mt. St. Hilary with the Ark sticking out as a doorway. Then it splits in half to open, Castle Greyskull style, into "that room."

The Teletraan 1 / Mainframe that came with the Ark did a pretty good job of splitting the scale difference. It doesn't look WAY too big for cores or WAY too small for standard scale figures.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I know 'that room' is a bad description, but I don't know another word for it, in the old cartoon it seemed like they were all the same, there was Teletraan, the table/bed/bay or whatever it was, and in the Decepticon base, pretty much the same thing except in purple. 'Generic transformers stage' is actually a thing. Toyhax makes some great backdrops and floor panels along those lines, but for their flat cardboard version they just make it in several sizes rather than trying to scale it.

...now that I look at it, I may get some of those for my own shelves....

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Thank you! It just looked like they used it for everything in the show, so I didn't have a clue.

Anyone ever wonder how the ark can be tilted on the side like that but the floor inside was level...?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Huh! I was today years old when I learned about the Warren playset. I've known about the S.T.A.R.S. base for a little while, but this one was new to me.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Color me educated too! I had no idea that this existed but am impressed with what it is. For a bunch of cardboard, it does a good job of hitting the notes of "Autobot base", and the sizing is pretty generous, IMO.

Top Bottom