Studio Series discussion

Undead Scottsman

Citizen
Right, but the first original show that they would have had a hand in would have been Robots in Disguise, which is very much a sequel series to Prime and in the Aligned universe.

Which doesn't line up with the idea that this new leadership was going to take a hatched to Prime in favor of "something unrelated."

I just feel like there's part of the story we're missing here.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Found the actual interview with the video timed to the specific time code with the question about season 3:

EDIT: I misremembered a few details, like it was actually Dwayne Capizzi who had met with Hasbro and found out about the new Optimus toy and the Predacons, and told the others "We need to add a dragon."

Last edited:

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Wasn't Hasbro supposed to be the one pushing Aligned stuff? Seems weird to me that they'd be "Start over fresh" during the middle of the Prime years but also greenlight Robots in Disguise as a sequel series.
Aligned was an Aaron Archer/Rik Alvarez baby mostly, but it was always a rocky ride. The Highmoon Games were going for a G1 prequel feel but got roped into Aligned, Prime was the Aligned centrepiece but the writers wanted freedom to do their own thing and not get tied down by the Binder of Revelations that governed the Aligned lore, Rescue Bots wasn't supposed to be Aligned but ended up as such, and IDW flat out said "no" to rebooting their whole continuity to be an Aligned thing (though they ended up working in elements of it down the road).

With Prime's budget getting insane (around a million dollars per episode by the end), the toyline's sales slumping compared to everything that had come before, and the Hub's ratings being terrible for the amount of money being poured into it, Hasbro started looking at the books. Alvarez was an ascended fanboy with no real skill set relevant to toy designing or engineering and wanted to know why they were paying him a salary to basically codify some fanfiction.
Archer got miffed at his buddy Alvarez being fired, and saw the reduced budgets coming down the line as the price of oil skyrocketed and decided he was going to be gone too.

With both of them on their way out Aligned was essentially a zombie.

So it was a Hasbro initiative until the people at Hasbro pushing it got fired/quit due to it not panning out.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
From TakaraTomy's Transformers 40th Anniversary Exhibition website and PR Times:

Nemesis Prime (40th Anniversary Ver.)

dB61kKf.jpeg

jZdOFp3.jpeg

ディセプティコンエンブレムを身に付けた悪の司令官「ネメシスプライム」が登場。ロボットモードからトレーラートラックへ変形します。

ブラスターと剣が付属し、ロボット、ビークルの両モードに装着装備できます。

商品名:ネメシスプライム(40thアニバーサリーVer.)

発売日:2024年9月13日(金)

希望小売価格:7,000円(税込)

対象年齢:8歳以上

商品サイズ:約W98×H175×D57mm

著作権表記:

© TOMY© 2024 Paramount Pictures Corporation.

All Rights Reserved. TM & ® denote Japan Trademarks.
Introducing Nemesis Prime, the evil commander wearing the Decepticon emblem. Transforms from robot mode to a trailer truck.

Comes with a blaster and sword, and can be equipped in both robot and vehicle modes.

Product name: Nemesis Prime (40th Anniversary Ver.)

Release date: Friday, September 13, 2024

Suggested retail price: 7,000 yen (tax included)

Target age: 8 years old and above

Product size: Approx. W98 x H175 x D57mm

Copyright:

© TOMY© 2024 Paramount Pictures Corporation.

All Rights Reserved. TM & ® denote Japan Trademarks.

TC-01 Throne Collection 01

g895cRz.jpeg

ディセプティコンの玉座がコレクションし易い単品ニューカラーで登場。

お気に入りのキャラクターを座らせてディスプレイする事ができます。

(※関節可動やデザインの関係で着座に不向きなアイテムがあります。)

商品名:TC-01 スローンコレクション01

発売日:2024年9月13日(金)

希望小売価格:2,500円(税込)

対象年齢:15歳以上

商品サイズ:約W136×H167×D74mm

著作権表記: © TOMY
The Decepticon throne is now available in a new color that is easy to collect.

You can display your favorite characters sitting on it.

(*Some items are not suitable for sitting due to their movable joints or design.)

Product name: TC-01 Throne Collection 01

Release date: Friday, September 13, 2024

Suggested retail price: 2,500 yen (tax included)

Target age: 15 years old and over

Product size: Approx. W136 x H167 x D74 mm

Copyright: © TOMY

Both of these items are being sold exclusively at the Transformers Expo 2024 exhibition event in Tokyo, Japan.

Last edited:

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
The gray Nemesis chair is a bit odd, but the fact that they're calling it the first item in a throne collection has me oddly intrigued. Between the Nemesis chair being used as a throne for Megatron and Deathsaurus getting his throne, I'd actually love to get a series of thrones for all the Decepticon leaders.

Just looking at the show, the chairs on the Revenge would work for Galvatron, in either TFTM's green or season 3's blue. Then Scorponok/Zarak had his weird seashell-looking chair in Headmasters. I don't think Overlord had anything comparable, but I'd like to see him get one too.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
It's crazy that TT picked that Optimus mould to sell as their "40th Anniversary Nemesis Prime."
Not a repaint of the super cartoon accurate Commander Class Optimus that's coming out. Not even Earthrise Optimus.
The Rise of the Beasts Studio Series Voyager. A good mould sure, but just strange when there are more overt G1 moulds to choose from.

As an aside, ER Optimus has never been repainted as Nemesis and with the SS 86 Commander Class version coming out probably never will be.

That's wild.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Leftover Aligned rambling.
Aligned is very like the Bay movies in that it offered a ton of interesting designs that weren't always interpreted well in toy form... and had middling fiction that tended to present itself as more than it actually was. (I'd love more and better material building on that universe, as well as more RID2015/Adventure stuff.)

The whole dressing it up as this "epic thing without that really being earned vibe" was an undercurrent throughout, and that one panel that bemoaned everything that wasn't cool enough to fit with it brought that to the forefront.

The big lore nerd of me still wants to see more from the Binder of Revelation though.

Anyway.

I don't have this or any ROTB Op mold, and I'd like to add to my Nemesis Primes, so I hope I can wrangle this.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
Aligned is very like the Bay movies in that it offered a ton of interesting designs that weren't always interpreted well in toy form... and had middling fiction that tended to present itself as more than it actually was.
This was the first major issue I had with it. Archer talked a big game about how this
was going to be the DEFINITIVE version of Transformers lore and how everything was going to be worked into this new continuity and then you see it in action and it was just stuff like you'd see on any number of fanfiction forums.
"Soundwave's tape dudes were Minicons all along" was even something I heard a bunch back when a good chunk of people
were convinced that Armada was a sequel to G1.
Oh you found a use for the Omega Lock? Why does this just feel like you're playing with a bunch of your toys? Oh? 'cause you are? Ok.

None of this stuff is bad when crafting a new continuity. Animated is distinct from the Bay movies but burrowed the AllSpark. Optimus and Megs being friends pre-war started with the Bay movies, gained life in Aligned, made it into some versions of G1, etc...
So if a new continuity wants to go "we'll use the Omega Lock from Cybertron" or whatever, sure. Nothing noteworthy there. Every continuity reboot does it to some degree.

Except Aligned treated itself like the be-all-end-all of the fiction. Not just for itself, but the franchise as a whole. It was just another iteration in a line of continuity reboots the franchise occasionally goes through, but it just presented itself as so much more when it really wasn't.
And, at worst, came off like one well-connected guy's fanfiction.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The whole dressing it up as this "epic thing without that really being earned vibe" was an undercurrent throughout, and that one panel that bemoaned everything that wasn't cool enough to fit with it brought that to the forefront.
Wait, which panel was this?

The big lore nerd of me still wants to see more from the Binder of Revelation though.
Transformers One looks to be delivering on that front. ;)

I don't have this or any ROTB Op mold, and I'd like to add to my Nemesis Primes, so I hope I can wrangle this.
Unfortunately, the Japanese press release said that the quantities of these Expo exclusives are limited, and if there's any leftover stock still available after the Expo, it'll only be put on TakaraTomy Mall.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Eh, One is gonna be distinct enough (and with a different enough intent) I feel. I'm curious about that original consolidation, warts and all.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Eh, One is gonna be distinct enough (and with a different enough intent) I feel. I'm curious about that original consolidation, warts and all.
At this point, what we got in both Exodus and the Covenant of Primus book (keeping in mind the amendments the latter had to make to account for later changes made by things the Prime cartoon and the FOC video game) are probably the closest we'll ever get to see the original Binder story content.

Though, that PDF from awhile back did give us a look at more Binder-based character designs.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Hey! New toy reveals!
Most notable to me is the release of ReActivate Bumblebee in a single pack (but where’s the game?) and Voyager WfC Ratchet (which means an Ironhide is coming). I love the ReActivate designs, so glad people are getting a stab at BB, and I think Ratchet is among the better WFC interpretations they’ve done. The “red helmet, white crest” crowd will be happy, but I’m fairly content with my BBM deluxe figure.

And at the panel, the team confirmed Studio Series 86 Devastator, to be released as Voyagers over the course of 2025.

TriBlurr

Citizen
Via Jtprime17 on tfw2005 a few moments ago

Hook and Long Haul are next year's Commander Class.

Per listings:

Deluxe Scavenger
Deluxe Bonecrusher
Voyager Scrapper
Voyager Mixmaster
Commander Long Haul & Hook 2 Pack

Top Bottom